About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80298 09/11/02 06:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I understand that one of the things that set us primates apart from other fauna is our opposable thumbs.

Now, I've been watching squirrels eat nuts. Sometimes these nuts are so huge the squirrels have to whack away at the shell for a while before they can get to the good stuff. They hold these nuts in their hands and it looks to me like their 'thumbs' are doing much of the rotating work. In other words, they look opposable.

Dr Bill (or anyone else), can you supply any info on this?

#80299 09/11/02 08:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There's a lot to be said about thumbless squirrels on the web. One site was a personal reflection of a squirrel owner who stated their family squirrel has opposable thumbs. Must sites I scanned stated that squirrels don't have opposable thumbs, but do exercise flexibility with their fingers.

I learned that opposums do have opposable thumb.

One site had a declaration that--get ready!--elephants have opposable thumbs. The things you read on the Web!

I'd say the jury's out on this one, with most witnesses stating that squirrels don't have opposable thumbs. I don't have any idea where that elephant comment came from!

WW

P.S. Oh, one definition of the opposable thumb was that it could be identified by the owner's ability to move it across the palm. Never saw an elephant do that!

#80300 09/11/02 08:11 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear AS: I have seen squirrels grasp nuts, showing use of thumb. My daughter had
a pet coon that would gently take hold of dog's eyelid, and peek into eye. Dog knew
better than to move, fortunately. I have seen racoons grasping crayfish when eating
them. And dabbling food in water prior to eating.
But an anthropology site requires more than this to qualify for "opposable thumb":
"opposable thumb: an anatomical arrangement in which the fleshy tip of
the thumb can touch the fleshy tip of all the fingers."

I very much doubt that squirrels or coons can touch pad of thumb to tip of pinky.

#80301 09/11/02 11:13 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

I very much doubt that squirrels or coons can touch pad of thumb to tip of pinky.

...but apparently opposum's can.

#80302 09/11/02 11:25 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Wordwind: I found the site with a picture of possum with "opposable thumb"
on its hind foot where it would be useful only for climbing.
And if you look at the picture, you will see that while it is called opposable,
it does not meet primate definition, of being able to touch pad of each of
the digits. The opossum cannot touch "thumb" to the pinky. Yah, Yah, Yah.
Grumble,grumble - thumb on foot, forsooth!

#80303 09/11/02 11:43 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ho do you know that opposum can't touch his toe thumb to his toe pinky?

In fact, there's a lot we don't know about animals until somebody finally observes a behavior and records it.

On that one site, a lady did declare that her squirrel had little opposable thumbs. Who's to say it didn't have 'em?

On the Disney site it was suggested that we tape our thumbs to the inside of our hands, and then try to crack a nut as a squirrel does. Well, that doesn't seem fair at all. Don't the little squirrels have five fingers, even if they don't have an opposable thumb [which is still arguable since we don't know what they do with their little could-be thumbs in the middle of the night...they may spend part of their nights touching their little four fingers with their possibly opposable thumb and laughin' at us for thinkin' they cain't do it!]

Why, I just learned that a bluejay saw an injured bird, led a human being to it, and then helped feed the bird [not a jay] while the human being took care of it. And that's a documented story. And there's lots of other stories, too, so if AnnaSquirrel saw her squirrel using its thumb opposably, then there's another tally mark for those who think squirrels have thumbs. When you consider, wwh, the great achievements we human beings gained due to our having opposable thumbs, I'll bet our ability to touch our pinky with our opposable thumb doesn't rate very high in achievements. I mean, we aren't even using a very respectful name for that pinky here, are we.

Just to be argumentative and good night,
WW

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith