Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
veteran
veteran
F
an abomination, half Latin and half Greek

Am I correct in thinking that this applies to practically all dinosaur names?

Seems to me that giving something a hybrid name means it is guaranteed a popularity that will last for generations!

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Is earning money detrimental to creativity?

On one hand - to really reach full potential, an artist needs freedom. If art is paid for, the one holding the purse strings has a right to interfere. (Hollywood ululation : "He said he'll give us the money, but he wants his mistress in the lead role). It is impossible to work with that kind of interferance.
But then again - so much crap is created under the excuse of artistic freedom.

The other aspect is that money requires sense, and creatitivity requires sensibility. Blessed is the artist who is good at both. Shakespeare?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'm no expert on dinosaur nomenclature, but of the ones I do know, I think they're all pure Greek except tyrannosaurus rex, and that's two words so it doesn't count. No doubt, examples of hybrid names will now come flooding in.

Bingley

Bingley
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
examples of hybrid names will now come flooding in.

Am I correct in thinking that one of the proposed appellations for those who post here, is just such a hybrid? I am thinking of linguaphile.

F
veteran
veteran
F
No doubt, examples of hybrid names will now come flooding in.

I did a quick search for hybrid dinosaur names, and - naturally! - you're quite right, Bingley. The fact that a lot of the names end in saurus threw me a bit, but that's just a New Latin version of the Greek word sauros (lizard).

Actually this appears to apply to most dinosaur names: they're New Latinized combinations of Greek roots (arrk, horrible sentence).

Only exceptions I found were "triceratops" and "iguanodon", the latter being a combination of Spanish and Greek of all things.

old hand
old hand
Pakicethus - ancestral whale, fossilised in the area of modern Pakistan. Is this considered a hybrid? If not, why is iguanodon necessarily one, given that iguana is realtively well established in English, and elsewhere, and may have been lending a 'name' (Pakistan) rather than a meaning? I don't know, of course, if it was a name or a meaning being loaned, but would the bald etymology of the average dictionary show this?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

F
veteran
veteran
F
Is this considered a hybrid?

Point taken, shanks. It shouldn't be, really, in that it's a blend of a modern word and classic roots from a single source. If you frown on a combination like that, you're frowning on pretty much all languages in their entirety.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Am I correct in thinking that one of the proposed appellations for those who post here, is just such a hybrid? I am thinking of linguaphile.

It is indeed. If we wish to preserve the etymological decencies (though quite why since every other decency went out of the window long ago) we should be glossophiles. Why does the obvious derivation from glossophilia make me feel uneasy?

Bingley

Bingley
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Was it Forster who said that?

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
How about "heterolingual"? Or "ambiglossal"?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 693 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith