Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7966 10/17/00 02:43 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
A belated welcome, Cursquid. (No relation to a Dogfish, I suppose?) I've missed all this whilst I've been moving house. (Strange expression: my old house is exactly where it has been this last three hundred years - it is I who have moved.)

I have always read the Arthur C.Clarke quote as being an anti-nationalist remark, and have liked him all the more for it. I believe that nationalism has been the cause of many more evils than the pursuit of money - and goodness knows that is plenty. I must here make a differentiation between nationalism, which is an excessive belief in the worthiness of your own country/race, to the extent that anyone or thing from anywhere else is, ipso facto, inferior, and patriotism which is a love of the country of your birth or adoption.
The latter is right and proper, and good. It makes you cheer your side in football matches, etc, and feel homesick when you are "abroad"
The former tends to lead to the excesses of racism.

#7967 10/17/00 03:27 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
The quote is getting more inspiring! I'm not very sure if cheering your side at a football match is exactly what I think of as being "good", (does this include throwing Molotov-cocktails at the other side?) but indeed nationalism is definitely bad. World unite in a vacuum!

Cursquid

PS
Congratulatiosn with the new house. I don't know if the expression is wrong: what if man actually can't move at all and the entire universe is spinning like mad to give us
the illusion of self-motion? It's practically possible...

#7968 10/17/00 07:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
[rant]
While I share your opinion of nationalism, I think few today would observe the very fine distinction you draw between nationalism and patriotism. My Chambers defines a patriot as: "One who truly, though sometimes, loves and serves his fatherland." If I remember the quote correctly, it says: "patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings." Many who call themselves patriots are fond of the phrase "My - my country right or wrong, but always my country," which G.K. Chesterton described as being on the same moral level as "My mother, drunk or sober." It is not my intention to offend anyone, but the subject of nationalism/patriotism is one of very few that I feel so strongly about - both are anathema to me. Whether it should be so or not, it seems to me that the development of the nation-state has led to patriotism and nationalism becoming synonymous, at least in practice, if not in theory. As I type this I am listening to "An die Freude" - so that might be firing my supranationalist passions a little. I will close with a quote from G.B. Shaw that illustrates the apparent synonymity of patriotism and nationalism:
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior
to all others because you were born in it."
[/rant]

#7969 10/18/00 02:24 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
the new house. Yes, it is new, really - it was only built in c1870, whereas the one I was in previously was built c1690

I don't know if the expression is wrong: what if man actually can't move at all and the entire universe is spinning like mad

It could be, in this case, that I am static in time as well as space, and both are moving past/around me.

#7970 10/18/00 02:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
next thing you know, you'll have slipped into solipsism, in which case you'll need a new thread... all to yourself... alone.

#7971 10/18/00 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
next thing you know, you'll have slipped into solipsism, in which case you'll need a new thread... all to yourself... alone.

But how would he know that the thread existed?

#7972 10/18/00 03:09 PM
X
X
But how would he know that the thread existed

But how does he know he's not already there?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith