Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#79360 08/31/02 11:24 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Do we have a word that means slug-like?

The reason I'm wondering is I saw horror movie today entitled "Slugs," a pretty bad movie as far as good horror movies go, and no, "good horror movie" is not an oxymoron to horror movie fans.

Anyway, there was a little interesting information about slugs, none of which I have gone to the trouble of finding out whether is true or not.

For instance, one scientist in the movie said that slugs travel on their own slime. Can't you just see the poetic possibilities for that single fact? Anyway, even more interesting from this horror scientist was the fact that if you put a slug on the edge of a razor blade, that slug will be able to crawl across the sharp edge without injury because the slug is moving across the edge on its self-constructed highway of slime. I'd say this single fact, if true, should have some practical applications. But I can't imagine a slug having enough balance to stay perched up there on that edge.

Anyway, if anyone knows the adjective for slug-like, thanks for dropping it here.

I do NOT recommend "Slugs" in any way. I have just told you everything that was really interesting about the movie. "Plumed Serpent" was not much better, although the monster bird was pretty cool flying through the sky. Much more believable than, say, Godzilla.

The good thing about writing in Animal Safari is no one other than Bill reads here. Hi, Bill!

Bill regards,
WW

#79361 08/31/02 11:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I read you loud and clear. The slugs sluggish sleigh ride on an endless carpet
of its own making is interesting. I'm trying to rember what predator dines on them.
They may be a delicacy to some humans. I don't have any desire to sample them, no
matter how artistically prepared. So now I'll go looking for the adjective. Ought to be a
jaw-breaker somewhere. Bill

#79362 08/31/02 11:55 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: your trusty web searcher succeeded again. I searched for "biology
garden slug, and got URL below. I found scientific name "Limax maximus"
Had a hunch, looked in dictionary for "limascine" and that's what you asked for.

http://ipmwww.ncsu.edu/INSECT_ID/AG136/slug6.html

#79363 09/01/02 12:01 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bill, you are amazing! And the sleigh image is terrific.

Thanks a lot.

Now we'll see whether this thread on Animal Safari will move onward fast as a one-slug open sleigh...

WW

#79364 09/01/02 12:06 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
One last bit:Natural predators of slugs and snails include toads, some
predacious beetles and their larvae, birds, ducks, and chickens.

One problem for predators is slugs may be nocturnal, as I often see
slime trails in early AM.

#79365 09/01/02 12:06 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
From Bill's link:

Distribution -
The spotted garden slug was introduced into the United States from Europe. In this country it is recorded from Massachusetts south to Georgia and west to Oregon and California.

Now why did we decide to bring the slug over here? How odd...

#79366 09/01/02 12:07 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And I wonder whether limascine rhymes with "lima bean"?

#79367 09/01/02 12:12 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think they would rhyme. But don't serve them cooked together. That would
be obscene.My dictionary says either short "i" or long "i" for limascine.

#79368 09/01/02 02:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now why did we decide to bring the slug over here?

i am sure we didn't .. some slug eggs got layed on a a paving block or some thing brought over as ballast on a ship..

same with earth worms.. and cockroachs... free loaders who came along with some thing else, like root stock or crocus bulbs...

#79369 09/01/02 06:21 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Cool, of troy! Taking your lead, I googled "slug maximus Europe introduced" and found many links. Here's a bit from one of them:

The Pacific Northwest has several native slugs. The biggest is the banana slug, Ariolimax columbianus. Some of them are huge, growing up to 10 inches long and weighing a remarkable one-quarter pound. Many hikers have seen banana slugs, which are often yellowish, tan, or brown but may be any shade from white to black. Since they (both hikers and banana slugs) hang out in the woods, staying as far away as possible from urban environments, the banana slug, like the other native slugs, are rarely a problem for gardeners.

In stark (and some would add raving) contrast, the introduced slugs are the bane of every gardener’s existence. They include the ubiquitous European Black Slug, Arion ater, which is so different from native slugs that slug scientists put it in a different genus. The Black Slug is the one with the ridges and furrows on the back of its body. Like black bears, it comes in several colors, including brown. Another introduced slug, this one from Asia Minor and Europe, is the Great Gray Garden Slug, Limax maximus. Somehow even more revolting than the black slugs, this one has a smooth, gray body with darker stripes and spots. A couple other slimy species creep around at night outdoors. Another one lives in greenhouses and other warm, cozy spots. These imports were most likely stow-aways, arriving with plants.

If the slugs weren’t bad enough, we also have snails. For those, we can thank an unnamed gourmet who arrived in gold rush San Francisco in the 1850s with a craving for escargot. He imported snails, some of whom apparently thought life on the lam was preferable to the alternative—a date with a pool of sizzling garlic butter. Not only did the escapees survive, they flourished. Eventually, they began moving north, hitching rides hidden in pots and plants.

I lost the url; sorry.

That banana slug, measuring ten inches, doesn't sound like something I'd like to find crawling over my sleeping bag in the dead of night!

Now we have the title to the horror film that will follow "Slugs":

"Revenge of the Banana Slugs."

Mebbe Chiquita will sponsor our directorial efforts.

#79370 09/01/02 12:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
either short "i" or long "i" for limascine.

And that'd be the first i that's either long or short. The second one seems to always be like ee so your lima bean rhyme will work just fine. My dictionary spells it without the s, thusly: limacine.

BTW, if you're at all interested in people understanding what you mean and don't have some nice explanatory context, you might consider, rather than using limacine, use slug-like. It doesn't rhyme with lima bean but.

#79371 09/01/02 12:36 PM
old hand
old hand
Mainly to disprove your assertion that Dr. Bill is the only one who reads this forum () ~ I grew up in (and am currently back visiting) prime slug territory in Oregon. When faced with any variety of creepy-crawly thing, I'm not the type to recoil in fear or disgust. Slugs are a different story ~ there are few things grosser to me than seeing someone pick up a slug with bare hands, particularly if it's one of those 10-inch mamas.

The necessary helpful hint 'round these parts, however, is that they will die if exposed to sufficient quantities of either salt or beer. Sprinkling table salt on top of a slug will cause it to shrivel up like the Wicked Witch of the East under Dorothy's house ~ they'll actively avoid it, so it doesn't work in a bait capacity at all. For that, it takes a shallow pan of cheap beer. They'll crawl right in and drink themselves to death. Who knew?

#79372 09/01/02 12:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
FB writes:

For that, it takes a shallow pan of cheap beer. They'll crawl right in and drink themselves to death. Who knew?

So why did Bud opt for the frog? Seems the slug would have been a natural animal for promotion of beer...

#79373 09/01/02 01:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
UC Santa Cruz, has as one of their sports mascots, the banana slugs.. the are really gross, and discourage early morning walks in the woods (as did the report of fresh pather tracks and spoor!) Give me nice paved concrete any day!
Commercial-- Archie McFee, a novelty good store in Seattle, with a big web site, sells imitation slugs and other fun stuff.. (do a homemade movie!) they also sell brain shaped jello molds, for halloween or other scary parties. I was very good, and i did not bring the whooppie cushion to a recent gathering.. but it, along with the can of nuts that open and has a pop out snake, are family favorites.

#79374 09/01/02 01:15 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And taking Bill's lead, here's a morning poem to have with your porridge and beer:

The Mean Team

Limacines with Lima Beans.
How obscene!

#79375 09/01/02 01:29 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I goofed when I put an "s" into limacine. In about the third grade I was taught
that the Peruvian capital was "LeeMAH" . My dictionary does not agree.

#79376 09/01/02 01:35 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just edited out the "s" in your/my poem, Bill.

When I wrote a round for children's voices that included the nations and capitals of South America, we sang:

LEE-mah...

for Lima.

But the beans are definitely:

LIE-muh BEEEEENS

Right? I mean, definitely right, right?

I would like to know whether anybody here has actually seen a real banana slug that was ten inches long. That mental image is really disgusting to me. I can't believe something so disgusting hasn't been brought to the foreground of our cultural consciousness. Never even heard of banana slugs till last night...

WW

#79377 09/01/02 01:51 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Budweiser is really too good to taste on slugs. I'd try adding some yeast to
a pan of sugar water. It should make alcohol enough, if your dog doesn't
drink it up first.You drink the Bud to celebrate.
Maybe just sugar water would make slugs drown internally. It wouldn't
cost much to try.

#79378 09/01/02 02:46 PM
old hand
old hand
WW asks:

So why did Bud opt for the frog? Seems the slug would have been a natural animal for promotion of beer...

What - "BUD: Drink it and die!"? Doesn't have much of a ring to it...

And I don't know about your proposal, Dr. Bill, although it would be worth a try. I always got the feeling that the scent was a big part of the attraction for them. Or whatever sensory organ takes the place of a nose on those repulsive creatures. , I repeat!

#79379 09/01/02 05:31 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear FB & WW: remember the nursery rhyme:

Four-and-twenty tailors Went to catch a snail, The best man amongst them Durst not touch her
tail; She put out her horns Like a little kyloe cow. Run, tailors, run! Or she'll have you all e'en
now!"

Incidentally I found several sites containing all of the nursery rhymes!

#79380 09/01/02 06:37 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yeah, FB, drink and die...

But just think how cool the substitution would be:

This Slug's for You!

....instead of "This Bud's for you!"

Slugweiser

Take a slug of Slug!

I'm gonna send these ideas in to the brewery marketing team...

#79381 09/01/02 07:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Don't blame me, you started it. The spinning gears in my cranium suddently
meshed again, and printed out "limaçon" a mathematical curve:
The limaçon can be generated by specifying a fixed point P, then drawing a sequences
of circles with centers on a given circle which all pass through P. The envelope of
these curves is a limaçon.

Alas, I struck out trying to find "limaçon" in French dictionary. But since Latin is limax,
I'll bet Pascal use that as source of the name.
If the fixed point is on the circumference of the circle, then the envelope is a cardioid.

The limaçon is an anallagmatic curve, and is also the catacaustic of a circle when the
radiant point is a finite (nonzero) distance from the circumference, as shown by
Thomas de St. Laurent in 1826
(MacTutor Archive). The limaçon is the conchoid of a circle with respect to a point on its
circumference (Wells 1991).

#79382 09/01/02 09:07 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, geez, Bill! I'm trying here to imagine this curve and think I've got it, but don't know. Talk about throwing somebody a curve!

Can't you at least provide a link with a diagram or somethin'?

And cardioid is a very cool word, by the way.

Now how can we pull all this together into the Slugweiser campaign?

The link, Bill. Please provide a link.

Many thanks,
WW

#79383 09/01/02 09:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's the URL scroll down a ways to see different diagrams

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Limacon.html

I got side-tracked trying to find limaçon in French dictionary, with no luck.

#79384 09/01/02 09:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And, why be difficult when I can be impossible. Here is a word worthless enough to
be one of tsuwm's: "limacoline" = pertaining to shore birds.

#79385 09/02/02 12:24 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm crying tears as big as cow patties that nobody got interested in "Kyloe".

"Wild cattle were a part of the native fauna of the forests, grasslands, and marshes
of post-glacial Scotland. Domestic cattle arrived with the first human colonists
about 5,000 years ago, and from these were developed the Kyloe
of the Highlands and Western Isles."

"Various classifications of the breed have been made, but it is thought that there are
really only two distinct classes, namely, the West Highland and the Highlander or mainland
Highlander. The former of these classes, sometimes designated by the term "Kyloe", is
found in its greatest purity in the Western Isles of Scotland, to which it no doubt was
at first confined. The term "Kyloe" would seem to indicate this, at least if one of the
common deviations of the word be accepted, namely, that it was applied to these
cattle because they used to cross the Kyloes or Ferries which separate the Western Isles
from the mainland of Scotland. Others think the word is merely a corruption of the Gaelic
word which signifies 'Highland', and if this be its proper derivation the term would lose
any significance.

The normal colour of the Kyloe was black, and in the recollection of some who are still
alive no other colour was known in the leading folds of the West. The pure Kyloe seems
also to have been smaller and shaggier than the Highlander, but whether thi was a
distinctive feature of this class of the breed or whether it arose from the cattle being
kept in a purer state and more exposed to the elements than the mainland cattle,
it is not easy to say. It is only within comparatively recent years that the colours
which are now so much in favour with breeders became common among the
West Highland Cattle, and the first animals of colour seem to have been introduced
from Perthshire. The Highlanders are common to the mainland of the North of Scotland
and also to the county of Argyll, and they seem generally to have been of larger size
than the west Highlanders and not uniformly of a black colour. It is not improbable that
their greater size may be attributed to the superior pasture of many of the cattle-raising
districts of the mainland and to greater care in rearing.

#79386 09/03/02 07:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
coming to this thread late, as I haven't been below the fold for a while, but here's another golden oldie from '93:

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 9:05:27 CST
Subject: today's wwftd is... limacine

the worthless word for the day is: limacine

this word reminds me of the word game "stinky-pinky"
as in: limacine lima bean,
and relates to the fact that the lima bean is one of
the most disgusting vegetables in the known universe...

#79387 09/03/02 08:04 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lima beans may not sppeal to you tsuwm, but they have an
important place in diet of S.A. indigenes. Maize is highly
nutricious, but low in an essential amino acid, that beans
can supply. So the indigenes learned to plant both.
They were smarter than the rednecks who got dermatitis,
dementia, and diarrhea from too much maize.

#79388 09/03/02 08:55 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And there's many a redneck farmer's wife who's learned to turn lima beans into ambrosia.

Please excuse the recipe, but this is how rednecks prepare lima beans and corn:

Cover three strips of bacon and 16 ozs. of frozen or fresh butter beans with water and cook it all at a slow boil till the beans are just about tender. If you're living dangerously (and well), throw in some real butter, too.

Add some fresh-shucked (or frozen) corn-off-the-cob.
And also add at least one tablespoon--but two is better--of sugar. If you can't tolerate sugar, Splenda is a good substitute.

Let all that slow-boil cook for about three or so minutes.

Even tsuwm would change his tuwn if he had a bite of that perfectly-constructed-amino-acid-chain Redneck beans and corn. No joke. Rednecks tend not to call it succotash although that's what it really is. They just like callin' it butter beans and corn.

Don't add any slugs. [See title of the thread.] Bill wouldn't eat with you if you did.

Butterbean regards,
WW

#79389 09/03/02 09:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WW, I'm with tuwnful tsuwm. You could only get me to eat that stuff by offering liberal copious plentiful mint juleps before and during.

I suppose you have a recipe to make okra palatable, too? (is that a legume?)

#79390 09/03/02 10:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Maize is highly nutricious, but low in an essential amino acid,

Actually, its not. its just that the nutricion in corn is locked up in undigestable proteins.. one way to make corn more nutricious, is to treat it with Calcium carbonate, or sodium hydrate (lye) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) solutions.. the result is various forms of hominy. (sodium hydrate yeilds the most famous hominy, the lovely Asp's favorite, grits.)

but the flour used to make tamales (masa ? please help Consuela!) is also a form of hominy..

the indians used to use wood ashes mixed in with flour, and then add something sour, and the result was 1) a chemical reaction that increased the nutricion of the corn, and 2) acted as a leavening agent...(in fact, baking soda was "created" from observing the effect of wood ashes and sour milk on corn breads, which were totally unresponsive to yeasts as leavens.) a secondary effect of the process is to keep corn colors true, so treated this way, blue corn stays blue as you cook it.

(go to the What are you reading thread, and note, i am reading the story of corn.)
and They were smarter than the rednecks who got dermatitis, dementia, and diarrhea from too much maize
it was usually slaves, rather than rednecks, and usually slaves in transit, who had an unvaried diet of corn alone, who got pelegra. rednecks, were eating their grits and doing fine.
and tsuwm, truer words have never been spoken, lima beans are horrid!

(as for okra, really small tender pods, cooked whole, tempura style (ie, batter coated and fried) are actually edible... the gelatinous mess stays in the pod, and small ones are drier. but truth be told, most anything in the world taste better batter fried!)

#79391 09/03/02 11:28 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And of troy is correct. Okra sliced into okra coins and batter-fried is terrific.

Also, how ya' gonna make a gumbo without okra? And gumba is Louisiana ambrosia.

You all just need to come on down to the farm here and try my mother's butter beans and corn and her fried okra. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. I won't even push for you to try my dad's fried mountain oysters!

#79392 09/03/02 11:54 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Pellagra lives!
"Niacin deficiency (pellagra)

Niacin deficiency is generally due to a lack of dietary niacin and its precursor tryptophan, an essential amino acid contained in protein of good quality [12]. Cases and outbreaks have been observed and reported in 1988-1989 in refugee camps in Ethiopia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and other African countries. Pellagra occurs where maize, which is low in both niacin and tryptophan, has been the primary relief grain and where little complementary food rich in protein has been given. Even though the distributed general ration has included beans as a protein source, the quality has often been so poor that excessive cooking has been necessary (e.g. up to eight hours) to make the beans edible. Often the beans cannot be used because fuel shortages preclude such long cooking times. When a niacin- and/or tryptophan-deficient diet is consumed, the lead time for developing the signs of pellagra is about two to three months. Cases of pellagra were reported among refugees in Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Malawi, and Zaire in 1989."

#79393 09/04/02 12:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my dad's fried mountain oysters!

I am sooo not going there....

#79394 09/04/02 01:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It wasn't just the amino acid mix that got corn and beans together. The beans and corn, together with squash, all got planted together. The beans grew up the corn stalks and the squash spread out arond the whole thang and kept the weeds choked out. The Mexicans ran it one step further, adding hot chilis to the mix. They contain an ingredient that helps digest the corn and beans. So corn, beans and plenty hot peppers. Yum!

And about that rocky mountain oyster dinner, Dub Dub'. Do you serve that up with avocadoes and with an orchid centerpiece?

#79395 09/04/02 09:17 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thank you, Faldage, for telling those of us who didn't know about the....I want to say "Vegetable Husbandry," but don't think that's exactly correct....gardening design of native Americans. Really. That's something to consider--climbing limas and weed-stoppin' squash. Wonder why I never see that design around here?

As far as mountain oysters and avocado go: I don't think those two textures are very compatible. And where the heck did that orchid come from? You have an unusual imagination.

One other thing: Are lima beans, corn and squash actually referred to in the canon as "The Three Sisters" or is that a Faldagian original moniker?

Best regards,
WW

#79396 09/04/02 09:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As far as mountain oysters and avocado go

A) Do you know what rocky mountain oysters are?

2) It's not necessarily lima beans. Any kind beans works.

Þ) I heard the phrase The Three Sisters from an organic, heirloom truck gardener.

#79397 09/04/02 11:10 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Of course I know what mountain oysters are. Who doesn't in the South? Well, actually, there are two types of mountain oysters here, if we really want to pick nuts, I mean nits:

Sheep's
Pig's

#79398 09/04/02 12:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: Mountain oysters.

try looking up the origins of the words avacado and orchids... things will begin to make sense..

or run a search on those words... and see what they have in common with mountain oysters.

#79399 09/04/02 12:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Gotcha, Faldage. Gotcha, Helen, that is!!!! Sorry! Actually, I know the etymology of avocados--used it in a poem, as a matter of fact.

But I don't of orchids, so I'll go a huntin'.

#79400 09/04/02 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sheep's
Pig's

And your dad's, apparently.

#79401 09/04/02 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have some weird ideas for menu planning. One meal is one in which you eat only food where there's more left over after you're done than there was when you started. Examples: Corn on the cob steamed in the husk, artichokes and lobster. Another is foods that you have to turn your head sideways to eat. Hard-shelled tacos spring to mind for that one. I had some other items on the bill of fare but can't remember any of them off hand.

#79402 09/04/02 01:16 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Heard about the King who lost one of the family jewels? He took consolation
in the fact that he was monorch of all he surveyed.

One bit of trivia: animals will not eat raw beans. They have an agent that inactivates
an essential digestive enzyme - trypsin, I think.

#79403 09/04/02 01:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good one, Dr Bill!

#79404 09/05/02 08:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yup, oftroy, masa is the word, but really, all it means is dough. There are several bean varieties that are staples below the Rio Grande. Pinto and black beans come to mind most readily. Can't say as I ever found lima beans in Mexico and I am a big fan of lima beans and butter beans, when cooked properly(not all dried up). DubDub's recipe sounds yummy, but I'll pass on the mountain oysters. Aside to DubDub I don't think the etymology of orchid would tell you more than a good long look at the blossom would in this case but, I could be wrong and am too lazy to LIU when the comparison is obvious to me

#79405 09/23/02 12:46 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I would like to know whether anybody here has actually seen a real banana slug that was ten inches long. That mental image is really disgusting to me. I can't believe something so disgusting hasn't been brought to the foreground of our cultural consciousness. Never even heard of banana slugs till last night...

My cousin moved out to vancouver a few years ago, and brought back reports of these things being far to big to dare stepping on (unless you've got a good stomach). I really do think they get that big. And it made me think I didn't want to visit.

As for the beer trick mentioned, it does work, at least on the little ones in our lot. My brother used to deliver for a company that sold microbrews, and he'd bring home a case or two of the stuff gone bad, which we'd use on the pests. A gourmet death...

Refering to the even earlier post, I'm not sure about the razor trick. There's a deterrent used called Diatomaceous Earth that's supposed to be disastrous for soft bodied pests. Perhaps the uniform surface of a razor blade is fine - I don't know. Here's a description of the stuff I found:

Diatomaceous Earth
The fossilized shells and skeletons of a type of ancient algae are mined and packaged as diatomaceous earth. This powder looks like fine clay dust, but the edges of each particle are razor sharp. When soft~bodied insects encounter diatomaceous earth, they suffer numerous small abrasions that often result in death. Diatomaceous earth, often abbreviated as DE, is widely available at garden centers and through mail~order companies. It is different from (and much safer than) the DE used in swimming pool filters.

To control leaf-eating insects, spray plants with water, then dust them with diatomaceous earth while the leaves are wet. When applying it by hand, wear a dust mask to keep from breathing the particles. As long as your air passages are protected, you can apply DE by placing a small amount in a paper bag with several small holes punched in it and shaking it among plant leaves.

You also may lay diatomaceous earth on the soil to discourage slugs, cutworms, and other soft~bodied soil dwellers. When setting out cabbage, broccoli, and other brassicas, a small amount of DE sprinkled into the planting holes will provide some protection against root maggots. Diatomaceous earth is good for the soil, as it contains more than a dozen trace minerals.

Ali

#79406 09/23/02 01:04 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Seian: I hadn't heard of using diatomacious earth before. Sounds like a good idea.
to spread it, perhaps just the foot of an old rayon stocking would make good applicator.
Store in a small jar.

#79407 09/24/02 03:31 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Good idea, WWH. I think when you buy little amounts it comes in a shaker can, but invariably when needing quantity for gardening, products comes in paper sacks.

We fortunately haven't had too many slugs since our all out war with beer and the diatomaceous earth a couple years ago - so I guess it worked! We try to stay organic and have managed it except for the roses for a couple years running. Organic gardening does turn up the more curious solutions.

Ali

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith