Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We weren't talking about decent Southron women, were we? Thought this was limited to Texans.

[running for cover-emoticon]

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We weren't talking about decent Southron women

I guess not ifn you calling them ho's. BTW, this unconsidered insult *could be racist since the original Yellow Rose was maybe an octoroon, or high yaller.

#78402 08/21/02 05:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just in the spirit of Google Research, here's a reference to the Indian riddle in an old movie, not that I'm cheating or anything, but I'm probably cheating (but the answer's not here, so don't worry! Not that I'm lying!):

"Eugenia Lampert/Regina (Audrey Hepburn) about to try out her own lie-detector test (kissing) on Peter Joshua, alias Carson Dyle, alias Alexander Dyle, alias Adam Caulfield, alias Brian Crookshank (Cary Grant) in CHARADE (1963):
- Eugenia: 'Alex, how can you tell if someone is lying?'
- Alexander: 'You can't.'
- Eugenia: 'There must be a way.'
- Alexander: 'No. There's an old riddle about two tribes of Indians. The Whitefeet always tell the truth and the Blackfeet always lie. So one day you meet an Indian. You say: Hey, Indian, what are you? A truthful Whitefoot or a lying Blackfoot? He says: I'm a truthful Whitefoot. So, which is he?'
- Eugenia: 'Why couldn't you just look at his feet?'
- Alexander: 'Because he's wearing moccasins.'
- Eugenia: 'Well, then, he's a truthful Whitefoot of course.'
- Alexander: 'Why not a lying Blackfoot?'
- Eugenia: 'Which one are you.'
- Alexander: 'A truthful Whitefoot.'
- Eugenia: 'Come in. Sit down.'
- Alexander: 'Why? You want to look at my feet?'
- Eugenia: 'Yes.'"

http://www.movies-quotes.com/FUNNY QUOTES/COMEDY 1960.html

#78403 08/22/02 08:18 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I have received five correct answers.
A number of people came up with an answer which works, but which was specifically excluded by the rubrick (without a capital, not the one in the Capital of Ireland!) To ask Indian W what Indian B would say is the colo(u)r of Indian W’s feet is, strictly and nit-pickingly, a question about what he would *say not about the *colo(u)r of their feet.

THE ANSWER
However, if you ask either Indian,
“Are your feet the same colo(u)r as his”,
Indian W would truthfullly answer “No;”
Indian B would lyingly answer “Yes.”

SUCCESSFUL ANSWERS (in order of receipt)
Jackie was the first to come up with the “correct “ answer, although it was a second attempt.

She was closely followed by Faldage, also at a second attempt and after the usual gathering of the ova of head-lice.

tsuwm then got the answer correct first time off

Milum came next, with the question, “Hey noble redman are your feet green?” which works just as well and on the same principle

TEd , then came up, on a second attempt, with the “correct” answer. (but see the judge’s comments, below)

THE PRIZE WINNERS

The top prize, a picture of a golden moccasin, must go, therefore, to tsuwm for being the only one to get it straight off.

Jackie wins the coconut for being the first in,

and Milum wins a “Highly Recommended” rosette, to place in the saucer of his cup of tea laced with George Dickel Tennessee sipping whiskey. This is for the most ingenious answer.

Faldage receives a mention in the judges report, with recommendation that a special award of a Golden Nit be introduced for next year’s competition.

TEd deserves credit for coming up with a beautifully reasoned response based on not knowing whether there were representatives of both the tribes present. (A wrong assumption, but it led to a fine display of logic.)

Many thanks to the large numbers of friends who sent in “incorrect” answers – I’ve have replied to you all by PM. (No wonder education costs are soaring in the UK!)

And thanks to you all for taking part – I’ve enjoyed my brief burst of power

#78404 08/22/02 12:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie wins the coconut
Will you hand it to me in Hawaii, please?

I'm stealing F.'s nit for a moment. MY answer was to ask each Indian, "Are both of your feet the same color?", whereupon the liar would have to say no.

#78405 08/22/02 12:48 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Yep - there's several variations on the theme, but they all rest on a comparison - either with each other, or with another colour altogether.

The coconut will be painted green and presented in an appropriate country.

#78406 08/22/02 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not a Nit!!!

The original statement of the problem:
the conundrum was to determine which one of these interesting savages was which.

Note that there is nothing in this statement to eliminate the possibility that there are more than two Indians here!

It is therefore, I submit, quite possible that there are so many Indians that they are not all known to each other. Therefore, there is the possiblity that they are all known to a liar who could then be lying by answering the question, "Are your feet the same color as..." with the answer, "I don't know" and a truth teller could answer the same question with the same answer if he didn't know everybody.

What's all this in aid of? TEd's answer, which covers the possibility that both tribes are not represented, which, by the way, I do not see as excluded from the possibilities in the original statement of the problem, could not possibly be wrong and he deserves more credit than he was given.

#78407 08/22/02 01:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not a Nit Rebuttal!

There are two tribes of Indians, the Blackfeet and the Whitefeet. The Whitefooted indians never lied, and the Blackfooted indians never told the truth. Both tribes, however, always kept their feet covered, and the conundrum was to determine which one of these interesting savages was which. But, and here's the catch, only by asking them questions about their feet....I hope I got the instructions right.[EA]

I think milum is probably laughing in his cheap, green beer at all of this.

#78408 08/22/02 01:48 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
which one of these interesting savages was which.

Whilst I agree that the question was not presented very crisply (and. let us remember, milum was not actually setting us the problem at the time) I contend that the most reasonable assumption is that, as you are to find which one is which, that the choice is narrowed to two individuals, one of each tribe.
Had it been to find out which of the congregation of x Indians was which, the conundrum would have been, which of these interesting savages was which.
(with the "one" removed from the sentence.)

The task would not have been simple, and certainly not possible with just one question, I think. (The identical question, many times, is not the same thing at all!)

However, I do agree that it would have been better had I re-stated the question in totally unambiguous terms, (although that would have deprived Faldage and I a longish and very interesting conversation!)

I ought to add my especial thanks to Iris, for starting this thread in the first place.

STOP PRESS

dxb came in with the correct answer (also on his second attempt), about ½ hour after the deadline.
Hono(u)rable mention in despatches!

#78409 08/22/02 02:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Harrumph®!

If I were to present you with seven real ales from various venues in Britain and asked you which one you would like to try first, would you respond that there were too many there for me to ask that question and that you would therefore refuse to participate in my test? I think not. I see no reason to assume that two individuals from two diferent groups is the only interpretation or even the most reasonable.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith