Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#78370 08/19/02 09:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
interesting savages

good grief, what century are we living in?

The 2Oth Century, evidently!...if you read Vachel Lindsay's classic performance poem The Congo :

http://www.library.utoronto.ca/utel/rp/poems/lindsay10.html

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
The question about how you can tell which one has what colo(u)r feet is very interesting. But it can be solved with just one question. (It assumes, BTW, that each one knows the colour of the other's feet - only you don't know.)

What is the one question about the colo(u)r of their feet that will inevitably reveal which is the truthful and which the lying man? (IOW, you may not question them about their own or the other persons truthfulness.)

PM the answers to me, so that premature publication on the board doesn't spoil other peoples fun.
I'll publish the answer and the winners on Thursday, 10 am BST.
Special prize if anyone comes up with a non-standard answer that works!

#78372 08/20/02 09:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can't you just burn sodium in a chlorine atmosphere?

Oh, is that what happened to Lot's wife?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is the one question about the colo(u)r of their feet that will inevitably reveal which is the truthful and which the lying man?

If you're going to go around making assumptions about conditions not stated in the problem, why not just assume they're wearing transparent moccasins?

Nothing was said about there being two Indians, one from each tribe, in the statement of the problem.

#78374 08/20/02 10:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, just so's you all know: the winning answer has just been submitted.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
The original problme states:-
There are two tribes of Indians, the Blackfeet and the Whitefeet. The Whitefooted indians never lied, and the Blackfooted indians never told the truth. Both tribes, however, always kept their feet covered, and the conundrum was to determine which one of these interesting savages was which.But, and here's the catch, only by asking them questions about their feet. (My emphasis)

The statement of the problem is imprecise - presumably because milum was struggling to recall the thing from a few years ago when he was a youngster. However, the use of "which one" provided me with a reasonable excuse to infer just two subjects in the experiment. It also concurs with my own memories of a similar problem.

If they did not know each other, then the question would be very simple - you would ask each "What colour is the other one's feet?"
- The truthful one would say "I don't know;"
- The liar would have to state a colour, rather than say that he didn't know.

This makes the problem hardly worth the thought; I have, therefore, added a logical ppiece of vital information.

Next nit, please . . .

Edit Sorry - I managed to cut, rather than copy, and paste the emphasised bit.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Two attempts, so far, neither correct!

Remember, folks, the only questions permitted are about the colour of feet, not questions like "Are you a liar?"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Next nit, please . . .

If y'all'd stop being so funny, I might could be able to stop losing my coffee on the keyboard hi TEd! and post something reasonable.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks a whole bleep of a lot, Rhuby. Here me n milum are havin us a good ole mud rassle and you waltz in with the far hose of logic...

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well - sorry, an'all that, old chap, to get in your bad book - a mal folio indeed. In my defence, I do have to say that the yellow hose of my logic is very often worn cross-gartered!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith