About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#78265 08/30/02 05:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Jackie, how would you "read" a web page if you were blind?
how would you type if you had carpel tunnel and could press the keys?

there are ways around being blind... Jaws (and Zoom Text) are two programs that read pages..

if Jaws were to read the Reply page.. it would tell you
this page has a table second row of the table there are 8 links (and then it would read them) Main Index, Search, Edit Profile, Send Private, Check Private, Who's Online, FAQ, Logout,
Next row Reply to(Miscellany)
Next row contains one link Fill out the form below to post a message on the forum. HTML is disabled. Markup is enabled, so you may use markup in your posts. markup in your posts is a link
Nest row Username
Next row Of troy
Next row Subject
Next Row Edit box, re semicolon, Accessabililty
Next Row Link Post Icon
Next Row Compbo box Note
Next Row Post
Next Row Edit box
Next Row Link button, check spelling
Next Row check box, enabled, Email all replies to my real email address
Next Row check box enabled, I want to preview my post
Next Row 2 link buttons, first button Continue second button, clear form

and so on.. reading your presponse, too..

You'd have to listen, use the tab key to move from row to row, use control + Insert + Home (Jaws command) to place the cursor in the first edit box (subject) tab a few time to get to the post edit box, and then as you typed, Jaws would articulate each key stroke...

get the idea? it sounds harder than it is...

but some web pages are very hard (one we work with in the office has 3 frames, 115 links, 4 tables... and then it starts reading frame one, and continues..)

you'd have to construct a mental image of the page, and learn to move around the page.. which would get easier with time...

#78266 08/31/02 01:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, to digress slightly, one of the more obvious differences between Zildian and Pommian language usage that I've encountered since coming to this Sceptic Isle is in real estate ads. The Brits have come up with completely meaningless jargon. Consider this:

Zild: "This home offers three double bedrooms with ensuite in master."

Brit: "This home benefits from three double bedrooms with ensuite to master."

So ... the house gets the benefits, does it? And while I've searched high and low, I still can't find a dictionary showing me "en suite" as a verb ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#78267 08/31/02 01:55 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I still can't find a dictionary showing me "en suite" as a verb ...

Maybe a dyslexic dictionary's rendering of a verb meaning to increase the sugar content of something?

#78268 08/31/02 11:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
home benefits from three double bedrooms with ensuite

It's not the house benefiting, it's the home an altogether nother piece of thang.

And

A) where do you get off ascribing the role of verb to ensuite in the Pomeranian version

and

2) What the bleep does it sposed to mean in either of these bits of real estatery?

#78269 08/31/02 01:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The noted US Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. said nobody had the
right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre.

"Calabresi says that a writer such as Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., though
a witty stylist, could raise confusion. Calabresi mentions one of
Holmes's most recognizable lines: " The most stringent protection of
free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theater
and causing a panic." "What help is it? And how many bad decisions
have followed from this clever quip?" asks Calabresi."

#78270 08/31/02 03:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
) where do you get off ascribing the role of verb to ensuite in the Pomeranian version

Well, with "to" following it, it must be a verb implying movement, mustn't it? What else could it be under the circumstances. There, another nit unpicked.

En Suite or ensuite means that there is a bathroom attached directly to the bedroom for the exclusive use of the occupants of that room. It can mean anything from a shower in the corner to the whole bathroomial disaster ...

#78271 09/02/02 12:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
with "to" following it, it must be a verb implying movement

With all due respect to your greater exposure to the farflung varieties of the language as she is spoke I must still proclaim that my understanding of this construction is different to yours.

That said, thank you for the clear and concise explanation of the term ensuite.

#78272 09/02/02 01:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brit: "This home benefits from three double bedrooms with ensuite to master."

I figure there's an understood attached between ensuite and to, therefore no infinitive intended.

For USns, master bedroom automatically means "with bathoom attached." But what if the house feaatures more than one bedroom with attached bathroom? What do we call the others? [scratching head]

And what's a double bedroom?

#78273 09/02/02 05:35 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In Québec a master bedroom is the biggest bedroom in the house proper. A huge room in the basement would not count.

En suite means "in the room" in French. Why the two words have been tacked together is beyond me. What makes it doubly wrong is that the word ensuite does exist but means something unrelated...ensuite denotes a certain succession of events...i.e., in addition to or following

#78274 09/02/02 08:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you had more than one room with en suite, you would say so. A double room means a room which has enough room (in theory) for a double bed (double/queen/king) plus the usual bedroom furniture. Real estate agents have an interesting interpretation of just how much room that isn't ...

Some of you USns may not realise just how much smaller, on average, houses are in some other countries. I remember, as a kid watching TV, that American homes on TV seemed huge. And the reality is that American homes that I've been in (apart from mobile homes) do seem larger than Zildish houses. But for sheer compactness, you need to see modern English houses. I think there's a government plot to help the BMA study cabin fever. They build a shoebox on end on a plot not much larger than we get if we're buried and it's called an executive 4-bedroomed home and they charge you £240,000 for the privilege of getting claustrophia in one of them. And all the rooms are doubles. Right. Get real. In most of them if you put two double beds on the same floor end to end, the bed end would be sticking out of the outside wall ... and that wouldn't be difficult because from the number of complaints about shoddy building standards you'd think the whole lot were put up by Jerry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 748 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith