Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>Not that you can get two wickets at one time anyway.

Really? What if a batsman drove the ball back, the ball deflected off the non-striker (outside his crease) onto the non-striker's wicket, while the batsman's bat slipped out of his hands and knocked the bails off his wicket? One run out, one out hit wicket?

D
addict
addict
D
You just had to push it, didn't you.

In the situation given, the non-striker would not be out as the ball was not touched by a member of the fielding side. Even if it was, I believe the earlier of the two would take precedence. There are indeed a number of hypothetical ways is which more than one batsman could be dismissed with one delivery. However, most of these relate to "ungentlemanly" dismissals - "Timed Out", "Obstructing the Field", "Hit the Ball Twice" and "Handled Ball", only the last of which have I seen.

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Unless the batsman played a leg glance which was fielded by the keeper, in which case the silly point or other close-to-the-bat fielder would be expected to cover the stumps.

Oh Doc, did you read Faldage's original cricket post? It said:

Imagine, if you will, the batsman hitting the ball to the silly mid on

See? My reply was based on this scenario. It was hit to silly mid-on. It wasn't a leg glance. It'd be pretty difficult to leg glance to silly mid-on.

Not that you can get two wickets at one time anyway.

I'm (unfortunately) with sjm on this one - it's a high improbability, but not an impossibility.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>I'm (unfortunately) with sjm on this one - it's a high improbability, but not an impossibility.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I misphrased my original hypothetical, nit-picky scenario, as Doc Comfort rightly pointed out. Nevertheless, in the interests of accuracy in the use of language, it is true that it is, however remotely, possible.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If y'all're done argufying the fine points of cricket I'll explain the 6-4-3 thang. If not, I'm enjoying this too much and I'll hapfully wait... Gots to get my mind together(Hah!) about a rise/raise question that I dreamed about last night.

#78156 08/29/02 02:26 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

<<...6-4-3 double play...>>
wots that fer all us nonUSns?

All well and good, but I don't think anyone's answered the question yet.

The position on the baseball field are numbered, for some contexts. Thus
pitcher = 1
catcher = 2
first base = 3
second base = 4
shortstop = 5
third base = 6
right field = 7
center field = 8
left field = 9
if I have my directions right.

A 6-4-3 double play would be the description of a play where with a runner on first base, the batter hits the ball to the third baseman, who throws to the second baseman (in time to get the runner out) who then throws to the first baseman in time to get the batter out too. Double play, six-to-four-to-three.

Metaphorically speaking, it's a quick, efficient, and painless resolution of a potentially dangerous situation, snuffing out a threat before any damage is done.

Hope this answer is in keeping with the level of your knowledge of baseball.

#78157 08/29/02 02:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perty good, wofa. Onliest thang, the third baseman is 5 and the shortstop is 6. Ya see, originally the shortstop was an outfielder or at least, sort of a transitional infielder/outfielder. Thus he gets the number 6. Nowadays he is strictly an infielder; he and the second baseman share the guarding of second base shifting left and right depending on the hitting tendencies of the batter. Together they are referred to as middle infielders. The numbers are used to indicate the passage of the ball from one fielder to another. The most common infield outs are hit to either the second baseman or the shortstop. With a runner on first the middle infielder fielding the ball throws it to the other who makes the out at second. After that it is pretty much the way wofa described it. That the play at second has to be made before the play at first is due to fine details in the rules of baseball and can result in a 3-4-3 double play.

(you got the outfielders in the wrong direction too, wofa)

#78158 08/29/02 04:26 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
(you got the outfielders in the wrong direction too, wofa)

Thought I might have, thus the disclaimer after the list.
Thanks for the sprucing-up. (No, it's ash, isn't it? unless it's aluminum.)

#78159 08/29/02 08:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I dunno what grade cricket match you're watching, Faldo, but y'sure don't be throwin' no ball to silly point to run someone out. Y'd be throwin' it to the wicket keeper, who might then throw it to the bowler at the other end. I'm guessin' if silly point was in there, he'd be in trouble for some kind of obstruction or gettin' smacked around the head by wickie for gettin' in the way!

Yeahbut. If the fieldsman at silly mid on got smacked in the head by the ball, he could wind up anywhere on the field. Not inconceivable that he might recover in time to scoop the ball up and dismiss the non-striker if that worthy was out of his crease, provided that he wasn't dodging a woozy silly mid on fieldsman, no? Or, of course, they may be playing some arcane American form of cricket where there are extra wickets at silly point, silly mid on, in the gully, the slips or anywhere else that takes their fancy!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith