Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#7750 10/13/00 08:21 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
(vii) The site should allow for discussion of controversial issues. We probably don't want to have an "eighteen certificate" imposed on us, so care should be taken in the kind of language used. Words can inspire or upset people so try to move controversial discussions to a new thread, so that people can choose to opt in or out.

Well, it's a good thing that we haven't reached too far down in Jackie's gutter or I guess I wouldn't be allowed here.

#7751 10/15/00 07:38 AM
B
addict
addict
B
I know of one person who found the board intimidating at first but persevered.
I know of one person who found it too aggressive and has dropped out. A shame, as I think that person was an asset to the board.

I don't know if there is any way to avoid this, however. The board is just a reflection of life in the 'real' world, and the same kind of things happen there.

Personally, I'm trying to work on a couple of simple guidelines, similar to ones I use in that pesky 'real' world.

1. If I say/post something that might be seen as critical, best to use a tone/emoticon/turn of phrase/all three! to demonstrate that this is not an out-and-out attack.

2. If I'm still afraid I may have offended someone, deal with it privately. It is much easier to build bridges and get understanding, even if not agreement, without the pressure of doing it in the public eye.

#7752 10/15/00 02:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>deal with it privately

but be very careful with this approach, for it takes two people to maintain privacy....

once burned,
-joe friday

#7753 10/15/00 10:30 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Having been implicated in this issue, I feel obliged to make a contribution to the discussion.

I believe that the board's problems stem mostly from volume, not behaviour.

The volume of discussion material is vast, and we've only been going for a few months. Having already given up on acquainting myself with past discussions, I am trying to at least keep abreast of all current threads, on a daily basis, particularly since some of the fun comes from the cross-thread banter. I can see, however, that the success of the board carries with it the seeds of its own destruction (a lovely expression that I read here somewhere). No, that's being too pessimistic and alarmist, and I am sure that subscribers, with their love of words, their dedication and their ingenuity won't let that happen. But I can also see that it won't be long before keeping abreast of all discussions will be beyond the capacity of all but the truly interested/obsessed/insert-your-own-adjective-here. The board will most likely lose its sense of being an intimate club; perhaps the foundation contributors already feel it has. I suspect, that like traffic, it will find its own level and sort itself out, but probably as a natural process, not through the imposition of rules or external processes.

On the subject of behaviour... I cannot think of a posting or exchange that has shocked or embarassed me. I have learnt a lot and continuously (or it is continually? - I am sure that someone will put me right, or I can LIU ) been impressed and inspired by people's good nature, their willingness to help, their erudition and their wit. The board seems to have been almost totally devoid of the flaming that can plague such forums.

Sorry I'm not contributing much of a solution here. As the saying goes "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate" (now, where did I read that?).

#7754 10/16/00 08:17 AM
old hand
old hand
>I believe that the board's problems stem mostly from volume, not behaviour. <

Hi Marty,
You put it in a nutshell (the seed of destruction ). I can't but subscribe one hundred percent to your view !

#7755 10/16/00 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have thankfully returned, for however long, from the land of no-connectivity. May I issue a belated welcome to all who have joined since I was last able to view/post? (Aside:
I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

Marty, you said. "Having been implicated in this issue...".
My dear, I didn't pick up any ref.'s to you. I expect most of us are guilty of posting something less than our best, at times.
Your seeds of destruction comments scared me, though! Aack!
Oh, I hope not! I think it was my sweet shanks who said that most boards tend to develop their own culture. This would be a natural phenomenon, I think, as groups of people in physical proximity do the same thing. This is the only
place on the Internet where I interact with other people, and I made the scary decision to start here, because of the content, and the people who were posting then. I've only even looked at one other discussion board, and that brief time was enough for me--man, those people were mean!

Bridget, I like your idea of bridges! :-) We all need to do that, in the real and the virtual worlds, if we hope to have any understanding given or received. If some people understand one another and are satisfied with insults and being rude, they can do that. I won't be there. That way of interacting is beyond my comprehension: why on earth would I deliberately try to insult or hurt someone? I simply can't imagine doing that, and if it is directed at me, I am left speechless with incomprehension. I do sometimes employ, and enjoy, "friendly" insults--this is the kind where both parties think it is funny.

I fervently hope this Board keeps its high level of consideration for others.

Oh, yes--Marty, is that insult thing what you meant by
"flaming"? Burning, =hurting? Ouch.

#7756 10/16/00 05:00 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the board's problems stem mostly from volume

There's clearly lots of good sense being talked on this topic - let's hope it continues to make it feel friendly and accessible for new voices.

A practical suggestion to pick up on this point about volume: it seems to take much more time to load more than say 3 pages or so. Is it possible to automatically start a 'New Thread (Part X)' when a predetermined length of posts is attained, with links to top and tail between them?
What marginal loss might be incurred (such as, heaven forfend, straying off the original topic ) could surely be a worthwhile trade-off for quicker navigation around the site...?

#7757 10/16/00 10:01 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
(Aside: I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

Squid aren't octopi! Six legs, 8 legs, that's a two leg difference.

#7758 10/16/00 10:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Jazz, you're the cephalopod cognoscenti around here, so I wonder if you could clear something up for me. Merriam-Webster defines "squid" as:

squid \skwid\ noun, plural squid or squids : any of an order of long-bodied sea mollusks having eight arms and two longer tentacles and usu. a slender internal shell.

My question is this: Do squids have ten "legs" or six? Either way, there is a difference of two legs, as you mentioned, I'm just curious. Of course, if they have six legs, we could start talking about octopodes and sexapodes, which might draw more voyeurs out of hiding.

#7759 10/16/00 11:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Aside: I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

I have a cousin who has six fingers on each hand. He isn't me, but he's still my relative

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith