Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
veteran
veteran
F
Now they call it "calabrese"

You're right, Rhuby!

I think this is primarily followers of St Delia, though, isn't it?

How do USns and (non DSA ) Strine-speakers pronounce Cubby Broccoli's surname, then?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
SJM:

I pronounce it with a long e on the end. Been around well more than half a century and I never heard it with a long i sound.

But this thread reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask for some time now, with the question being directed more towards our friends in the UK.

A year or so ago I took Sasha to the library to stock up on reading material (Usually twenty books at a time now!) There was an English children's book which had pictures of things around the household. As I'm driving home Sasha is leafing through the book reading the captions. When she said "pot plant" I corrected her, "Nope, that's a potted plant."

She replied emphatically, "No, Daddy, it's a pot plant." When we stopped at a red light I looked at the book. Sure enough, there was a picture of a plant in a pot and the caption said "Pot plant." What is REALLY curious is that the plant looked suspiciously like cannabis plants I've umm seen in pictures. Yeah, that's it. Never seen one growing in a closet with a grow light on it, of course.

Question for UKrs: Is "pot plant" a term you would use for any plant with its roots in a pot or were the authors having us on?

TEd

TEd
#77316 07/31/02 02:15 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Is "pot plant" a term you would use for any plant with its roots in a pot

Amazingly enough, yes, TEd

You see, we never call the plant with the interesting and distinctive leaves that you've seen in pictures "pot" - it's "grass" or "weed" or "skunk". Um, I believe.

In resinous form it's "hash" or "dope", although you do get people talking about "dope plants" just to confuse matters.

I've only ever heard USns and misled oldsters (trying to look with it) call it "pot".

waiting to be corrected by Rhuby!

#77317 07/31/02 02:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Makes you wonder how in Oz they pronounce fettucini, teriyaki or even kiwi, for that matter.

#77318 07/31/02 02:39 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
how in Oz they pronounce fettucini, teriyaki or even kiwi

Don't have any of those in Oz, do they?

[running-away-and-hiding-behind-sjm -e]

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Bush Sr.'s favourite vegetable "brocco-lie". A canard. And that's no lie.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Now they call it "calabrese"

Nah - it's a different vegetable, and trust me on this because I grow both (whatever Delia may or may not say!)

Broccoli is a much taller and leggier plant that continues to stand through much of the winter (with purple and white sprouting forms), and calabrese is a quick-growing summer/autumn plant that is not hardy and grows larger florets that are comparatively like little green cauliflowers.

I love both but they are distinct and different in taste, texture, appearance, aroma, season....

#77321 08/01/02 08:31 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
>Now they call it "calabrese"
Nah - it's a different vegetable

Ah-hah! It all makes sense. I'd heard fairly recently that broccoli is not the green stuff but the "purple sprouting" stuff, which indeed has a different taste and texture, and is also a rolling-into-Winter veg.

I've just sussed that my kids love calabrese, but don't like broccoli. There's useful education.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Sure, of course it's a different veg - doesn't stop the ignorant and uninitiated from calling "broccoli" (which is , indeed, as you describe it) "calabrese" - nor does it stop greengrocers (or the supermarket dumb version of that honorable trade) from labelling it so.

And, as to "pot" as a name, shona - I've not heard that used since mid-70s, I think. "Blow" was popular for a while, but I don't think it is now. I don't currently mix with anyone who is likely to inform me - life do get boring, don't it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you live an ocean a way.. but i am up todate on current terms, and perhaps, not recently unfamiliar with some products from the Hemp family..

(but who knows this is the internet, and i could be a dog...)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 466 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith