TEd,
I'm waiting for the pun to drop...

formerly known as etaoin...
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
..Charles Dickens sitting across a desk from his publisher, who is whining at him, "Now, Mr. Dickens, was it the best of times or the worst of times? You can scarcely have it both ways."

That sounds very much like "Through History with J. Wesley Smith," a cartoon featured regularly in The Saturday Review of Literature, more years ago than I care to remember. My favorite among these depicted a gentlemen sitting in front of his lawyer's desk, briefcase bearing the monogram AS, and hearing his suggestion: "No, this contract is entirely too much in favor of Mr. Gilbert, and I should advise you to terminate the partnership immediately..."

#77283 08/05/02 11:57 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
On the subject of cartoons, there was once a book that spoofed The New Yorker, including cartoons. One showed Jimi Hendrix sitting across the desk from a businessman, in what looked to be a job interview. The businessman was asking "So, are you experienced?"

Re: Homunculus/Homunculi. I am not sure this would be the proper term for a pair of angels (one fallen) on somebody's shoulders. An homonculus literally is a little man, and generally refers to a creature created out of witchcraft or magic. Then again it might be appropriate since they are sometimes represented as little forms of the protagonist on whose shoulder they sit. (i.e. a little devil Bugs Bunny and a little angel Bugs Bunny.)

The term is also used in medicine to describe the mapping of nerve endings to the brain, e.g. "the sensory homonculus."

The two angels, often featured in Warner Bros. cartoons, represent conscience and desire, or superego and id in Freudian terms.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...represent conscience and desire, or superego and id in Freudian terms.

...and to generalize that conscience and desire / superego and id are synonymous with 'good and evil'... well why don't we just call them 'smart and stupid' or 'old and young'...

Howabout 'religious' and 'spiritual' [eg]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why don't we just call them 'smart and stupid' or 'old and young'...

OK, wise guy, which is which?

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I wonder if anyone is familiar with a series of books written by Giovanni Guareschi about a priest called Don Camillo. The chapter headings contain little stylised sketches of the two main characters often with a little devil and/or angel by their shoulders. The books are set in the Po Valley shortly after the second world war and contain droll short stories about the priest and the local mayor who is a communist. Both characters had been in the Italian resistance and have the good of their community at heart beneath their feuding and differences.

I had forgotten these books until reading this thread, but now feel compelled to read them again. I thoroughly recommend them as light but thoughtful reading giving insights into personalities, feuds and life at that time in rural northern Italy. Trust me - you will enjoy them! I think the first book is called “The Little World of Don Camillo”. Thank you for bringing them back to mind. Now I just need to find where I have them!

dxb

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree. Absolutely marvelous little books. I too have them SOMEWHERE!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know where my copies are. And it ain't here. But you're right, dxb, they're brilliant.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
This trio of recommendations has moved me to find the books. I look forward to reading the original works, since I enjoyed the TV series made from them, which series was my introduction to the work of Brian Blessed.

F
veteran
veteran
F
“The Little World of Don Camillo”

Oh yes, David! Read them ages and ages ago - though far too young to appreciate them fully, I loved them.

Trip to Amazon in order, I think..

Thank you for reminding us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith