Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#76881 07/31/02 08:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
vika:

I got curious about the things that our space research has provided for us, so I did a bit of searching. The things that we use every day that resulted from space research are absolutely overwhelming, mind-boggling. Here's a web site

http://www.seds.org/technology/introduction.shtml.

I haven't had time to look at it verymuch, but in the intro it claims space credit for saran wrap and aluminum foil, as well as heart monitors and pacemakers.

Of course where would we be computer-wise if there hadn't been such a need for high-capacity low-weight computers. I'm certain we would be far behind where we are now.

One of the things I noticed when I was browsing through this site was a newer low-weight air-pack for firefighters. As a former firefighter, I can assure you that cutting the weight of the Scott Air-Pak is a blessing for every firefighter who has to enter a burning building, as well as a blessing for every person whose life was saved because the firefighter had more time and energy to conduct a search and rescue in a burning building.

Here;s another one:

next time you drink a glass of orange juice, consider that

Citrus growers have long used aerial photography to inventory the number of groves in production. A new development, aerial mapping of groves with color infrared (CIR) film, affords an important advance in grove management by detecting and locating unhealthy trees long before they could be detected by ground survey methods. Aerial CIR photography picks up light reflected from foliage -- light not visible to the human eye, and enables differentiation between healthy and "stressed" (diseased) trees of a Florida orange/grapefruit grove. Computer aided photo interpretation techniques permit grading diseased trees lightly, moderately or severely stressed, or dead. Method of grove mapping has offered advantage to growers in early disease warning and possible savings through water regulation and provision of a permanent record of grove growth patterns.

We hear people every day decry how Government takes and takes and takes and never gives anything back. That's plain poppycock. Had JFK not declared in 1961 that it was the goal of the US to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth it would not have happened. Private enterprise wasn't about to spend $40 billion on such an enterprise because there wasn't an immediate return on investment.

There are some things that governments have to do because the profit motive prevents or deters private enterprise from taking on the project.

I'd be willing to bet that there's not an hour of your waking life that's not made better by the space program. And it appears that your sleeping life is better because of it also, judging from what I saw on line.

TEd

TEd
#76882 08/01/02 08:52 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
There are some things that governments have to do because the profit motive prevents or deters private enterprise from taking on the project.

Good point, TEd, although I'm unsure it's genuinely about a difference between public and private money. JFK was a visionary and believer; he was also very good at sharing the vision and generating enthusiasm for it. If JFK had been running one of the huge multinational companies that exist these days, I feel fairly certain he would have been able to win over everyone necessary and get that company to do a Moonshot [yeah OK, he'd no doubt need to get the Government involved as well, but for the sake of clarity..]

Conversely, there are plenty of Governments, indeed the vast majority these days, that never do anything in the least bit imaginative and visionary. Such ventures are risky, and someone needs to put their head on the block. And money is money, whether it comes from taxpayers or shareholders.

It's a nice idea that Governments should be doing long-term visionary stuff, but what if there's no visible benefit before the next round of elections? Do you think the majority of the electorate will vote for long-term benefits that may be impossible to guarantee? Sadly I think not.

#76883 08/01/02 01:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Good point, TEd, although I'm unsure it's genuinely about a difference between public and private money. JFK was a visionary and believer; he was also very good at sharing the vision and generating enthusiasm for it.

and the Soviet Union had just put Sputnik up. there was the incentive...

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith