Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#76871 07/25/02 05:56 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks, FB!

Shona: Hey! I said Velcro first! What am I, chopped liver?

#76872 07/25/02 06:07 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you google "space program" plus "products," you'll get lots of hits. Here's one, for example (I hope this won't be considered advertising. I'm just using it as an example):

Just ask companies that have benefited in space marketing efforts like X-1R® or TemperPedic®, two great examples of brands and products that have been built heavily depending on the value of the space seal for differentiation.
When NASA came to X-1R® to develop an environmentally friendly bio-degradable hydraulic fluid for the giant crawlers that transports the Space Shuttle, a new base product with new technology was born. Today, X-1R® has expanded products based on this technology from race car lubricants to basics for a child's bicycle or sportsman's fishing products. Using the Certification Seal as a point of differentiation from the industry, the marketing has paid off big. A small company has successfully taken on the giants!

TemperPedic® is another example of a firm with space technology; delivering a unique foam-based product for the comfort of the astronauts. The vast number of products resulting has clearly led their industry in new comfort - all because of space. The consumer has the assurance that the technology is genuine, and there is a real difference in the end product!

I'm all for practical applications, but the biggest benefit is that of expanded knowledge of space itself. Unquestionably awe-inspiring.

#76873 07/25/02 06:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome to the Chopped Liver Club. It's nice having company down here.

#76874 07/26/02 11:33 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Welcome to the Chopped Liver Club. It's nice having company down here

But fish love chopped liver!

D'oh! My apologies, Bean. Hopefully, like early Velcro, this won't stick on me. Think I'm going to need to post a disclaimer/advance apology list somewhere and include a link in all my posts.

Oh, and apologies to the other lady whose posts I may have inadvertently overlooked - and whose name unfortunately escapes me at the moment..

#76875 07/28/02 07:05 PM
V
vika Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I am glad to learn about X1-R (Wordwind)and other stuff but I am even more happy to hear that most of you (like me) suppose that it’s better to spend money on cosmos program than on military projects (Rubrick), that we = humans need something to believe in and an external project (etaoin).

Of course, I could have just google my question but I wanted to get people’s ideas and a live response. I think that this board is more about communication than simply about words and words only. I’ve tried to start a thread about words from Molecular Biology. 29 people had a look at it, which is good enough for a first attempt but started a discussion nobody even replied . And the theme about Things from Cosmos – obvious and obscure – got people interested.

Thanks again – spasibo esche raz.

#76876 07/29/02 11:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I’ve tried to start a thread about words from Molecular Biology. 29 people had a look at it, which is good enough for a first attempt but started a discussion nobody even replied . And the theme about Things from Cosmos – obvious and obscure – got people interested.
That's the way it seems to work, here. I've seen (also started) threads that I thought would generate a fantastic response and went nowhere, and I've seen little, obscure things go into pages!
Er--what is is, exactly, that a molecular biologist does, please?

#76877 07/29/02 11:41 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My daughter had to take two years of molecular biology in order to qualify for the International Baccalaureate diploma.

The text was hard as the dickens. She'd get very frustrated reading it, and sometimes I'd pick it up to take a look at whatever she was studying. I'll tell you one thing. That text didn't have any cool stories about animals and their habitats in it! Nothing warm and fuzzy or even scaly and diamond-patterned. It was all formulas. Formulas, formulas, formulas.

If you love chemistry, then molecular biology is probably a pretty cool area of study for your brain.

If you don't really give much of a hang about what's going on at molecular level and would rather read the stories on bioloy on a more superficial level that doesn't require a tremendous application of math, then regular biology would be better.

Talk about a dearth of pictures in that molecular biology text! Egad!

Bio regards,
WW

#76878 07/29/02 01:27 PM
C
C
I would rather see a thousand frivolous manned moon landings than see the same amount of money needed to send them there spent on weapons of war and destruction. The joy of achievement over adversity is always preferable to sorrow caused by the cruelty of the human race.

WADR - those $$ spent on weapons of mass destruction are there to ensure that mass destruction does not occur. They are the 'checks and balances' that keep others from destroying the world, dontcha think? From what I've seen in the last year, there are plenty of kookies out there in our big world that think nothing of human life (except their own I surmise) that would slingshot a bomb or two in a heartbeat if they believed we had nothing to counter with (that in fact would end their being....see above exception).

Yes, the world would be all flowery and lovely if no one had weapons but it aint gonna happen.

#76879 07/29/02 01:33 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> those $$ spent on weapons of mass destruction are there to ensure that mass destruction does not occur.

What sound logic.

#76880 07/31/02 07:12 PM
V
vika Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for a good question that made me think of my work ? . I disagree that Molecular biology is about chemical formulas. Of course, we were studying them but once the course of biological chemistry was over I am not quite (and the majority of Mol.Biologists) forgot them but I have an idea about the building stones of a cell and this is enough for my work.

Mol. Biology to Classic Biology is something like being a User to being a Programmer. The former can like his little cute notebook but the latter knows the rules of its work . Well, there is nothing warm and fuzzy in the lab, only test tubes, liquids and powders in big and small bottles and plastic boxes. And a Molecular Biologist mixes liquids and powders and uses numerous clever machines to look at what is inside a living (not necessary) cell.

May it is better to give you some examples of application of MB. Identification of criminals using the smallest samples like a hair – DNA fingerprints, detection of heritable diseases in embryos, making genetically modified bacteria that produce human hormones or new antibiotics, making GM plants (not very popular at the moment) and animals (Dolly the sheep).

Molecular Biology is a wonderful thing, believe me! A bacteria and a man have DNA in their cell and some genes are similar despite of 2 billion years of evolution. My science is about most fundamental laws of life.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith