Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#76218 07/19/02 01:57 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, thanks a lot for that, milum. Right writer; wrong tale. I mean, it's good to know about Monster Homer and all that, but what about John Sourwine? Sorry, I couldn't find a sour shade of purple or even sour red...

When you return from your cave, think about Mr. Sourwine and the corpse, ok? Don't think about Mr. Sourwine and the corpse in the cave, however, because that's too much like Injun Joe and all him creepy stuff what Tom found out about!

Bat regards,
Wordwanderer

#76219 07/19/02 10:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm off to eat in a cave and sleep in the Kentucky woods
Well, mercy, Honey, I wish you had let me know--if you're going anywhere around Mammoth Cave, I'd run down the road and say howdy.

#76220 07/23/02 03:01 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Ok wordwind, enough. It's too late to badger now, your badgering won't help you none. Here is a complete Lafferty story, not a great Lafferty story, but certainly not his worse, which is a shame because most of Lafferty's worst stories are among his best. - [?]

No matter, for you Lafferty Lovers everywhere, ie...wordwind from Virginia, jackie from Kentucky, and modestgodess from a foreign country, here is a complete Lafferty short story "900 Grandmothers".

(Sorry, you'll have to click on the URL. I tried to edit it onto this post but a message kept coming up saying I was going to jail and then the computer would freeze up.)

Anyway enjoy the story and stay out of jail. -mw

[_________________ http:// freesfonline.de _______________]

And now for the rest of you awaders who apparently still need a parent to encourage the course of what you read, here are the words of a critic...

SHADOWS (Horror Short Story Collection)

R. A. Lafferty looks at the world, not through a glass darkly, but through a glass splintered. Buried beneath a style that no one has been able to dissect with any real success without killing it, there is a melancholy and wry grin that is able to twist what is known (or possible) into something as yet unseen by the human mind.
There is humor to be sure.
But scattered throughout the punchlines, the stories, the asides that seem to smirk at that which has come before, there are implementations of what appear to be cast-off material that, when constructed on the foundation of a last line, contain more shudders than the best Techni-color vampire.
It's an aftereffect.
Like a razor that summons pain after the blood has been spilled.

_______________________________________ - Charles L. Grant

#76221 07/23/02 10:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now ya went and did it, Milo. The link didn't work for me. I even copied and pasted and no más nada.That means nothin' but nuthin' in English

#76222 07/23/02 11:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#76223 07/23/02 11:40 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Whatsa matter consue, you can't fix it like you useta? You know I depend on your finesse ...The link is www.freesf.do , do your stuff. Fix it.

Post edit: Er ra, thanks mavrick, I seemed to have left out a letter or two...-mw

#76224 07/24/02 12:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Many thanks to M & M. I loved the stories, both 900 Grandmothers and Land of the Great Horses. [both hands clapping-e]

#76225 07/24/02 12:39 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
thanks to M & M

hey Milo, we'm a double act now! Success is in the bag...

#76226 07/24/02 03:24 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
M and M

hey Milo, we'm a double act now! Success is in the bag... ~ Maverick

Oh Boy, Oh Boy! This is great, Me and Maverick traveling 'round the world giving readings and signing autographs. Money ain't for nothing and the chicks are free. What a team! Our name flashing from the best marquees of the best Book Emporiums...

APPEARING TONIGHT ---> MM AND MM <---ONE NIGHT ONLY

Oh Boy Oh Boy, our names flashing in lights the first "M" for Milo and the second "M" for Maverick. I got a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

___ ~~~~____What a team! MILO and maverick.

#76227 07/25/02 01:03 AM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Aha. I would like to apologize for something. But I forget what. Meanwhile here is a parcel of another Lafferty story...a story with depth and...uh, depth.
Don't get mad, I told you it was only a parcel.

Space Chantey

Pyotr is a gambling character on a Las Vegas style planet called "Roulettenworld"
Death is nothing particularly frightening in a Lafferty story, and usually taken with good humor (even by the victim). The more colorful the death the better...

Space Chantey

(Pyotr is a gambling character on a Las Vegas style planet called "Roulettenworld")
There was
Pyotr Igrokovitch with the hole in his head. Pyotr was the most persistent suicide of them all. Following heavy losses in his youth he had shot himself through the head.

It had not killed him, but the shot had carried away great portions of the caution and discretion lobes of his brain.
The passage through his head had remained open, with pinkish flaps of flesh covering the holes fore and aft.

Now, whenever Pyotr suffered heavy losses, he jerked out his pistol and shot himself through the head. It was all for a joke; he always shot himself through the same passage; and the "brains" which he appeared to spew out the back opening with the shot were in reality only phlegm that had gathered in his head. But it was rather a weird thing when seen by one for the first time, and Pyotr very often killed
spectators standing behind him.

( Remember, death is nothing particularly frightening in a Lafferty story, and usually taken with good humor, (even by the victim). The more colorful the death the better...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith