About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#75856 07/12/02 11:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh yes, Fishona, I Have a Little Shadow is one of the poems i still know by heart, i learned it age 7 or so for a recertation piece.. (my sibling and i were expected to sing or other wise perform for our suppers on holidays..)

the Childrens Garden of Verses was my very first book of poetry. it came complete with several full color plates (i remember thinking "plates" an odd word to use for the illustrations.)

Edward Lear is wonder full too, i had a set of his complete works.. his botanicals were delightful , not to mentions his poems!

and a hundred million years ago, (or so it seems, but it was just circa 1970) i recieved a Penguin Books series Junior Voices a set of 4 slim volumes of poetry, songs, riddles and art for children.. and i was almost an adult at the time, but i still haven't grown to old for the books, and think fondly of David Sedgely, who gave them to me.
Volume II, has a two page spread illustrating Bernini's Apollo and Daphne, a sculpture that took my breath away, and stole a piece of my heart when i first saw it in the Borghese Gallery.

it such a set is still available, i recommend them.. your children will enjoy them too, when they finally pry them out of your hands!

#75857 07/13/02 02:37 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lisbon A corruption of' Ulyssippo (Ulysses' polis or city). Said by some to have been founded by Lusus, who visited Portugal
with Ulysses, whence “Lusitania” (q.v.); and by others to have been founded by Ulysses himself This is Camoens' version. (See
above.)

#75858 07/13/02 02:48 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Liturgy originally meant public work, such as arranging the dancing and singing on public festivals, the torch-races, the equipping
and manning of ships, etc. In the Church of England it means the religious forms prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer.
(Greek, litourgia.)

#75859 07/13/02 02:50 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Livered As, white-livered, lily-livered. Cowardly. In the auspices taken by the Greeks and Romans before battle, if the liver of
the animals sacrificed was healthy and blood-red, the omen was favourable; but if pale, it augured defeat.

#75860 07/13/02 02:54 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Livery What is delivered. The clothes of a man-servant delivered to him by his master. The stables to which your horse is
delivered for keep. During the Merovingian and Carlovingian dynasties, splendid dresses were given to all the members of the
royal household; barons and knights gave uniforms to their retainers, and even a duke's son, serving as a page, was clothed in the
livery of the prince he served. (French, livrer.)

#75861 07/13/02 03:08 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lode The vein that leads or guides to ore. A dead lode is one exhausted.
Lode. A ditch that guides or leads water into a river or sewer.

Lodestar The leading-star by which mariners are guided; the pole-star.

#75862 07/13/02 03:22 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lombard (A). A banker or moneylender, so called because the first bankers were from Lombardy, and
set up in Lombard Street (London), in the Middle Ages. The business of lending money on pawns was
carried on in England by Italian merchants or bankers as early at least as the reign of Richard I. By the 12
Edward I., a messuage was confirmed to these traders where Lombard Street now stands; but the trade
was first recognised in law by James I. The name Lombard (according to Stow) is a contraction of
Longobards. Among the richest of these Longobard merchants was the celebrated Medici family, from
whose armorial bearings the insignia of three golden balls has been derived. The Lombard bankers
exercised a monopoly in pawnbroking till the reign of Queen Elizabeth.

I; have read that the Lombards in Italy took a lot of timber as security for loans. The word "lumber"
has its origin in this. Also, the Lombards kept such an assortment of things or relatively small
value, that in England an attic storage room used to be called a "lumber room".

#75863 07/13/02 04:00 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Long Words Agathokakological. (Southey: The Doctor.)
Alcomiroziropoulopilousitounitapignac. The giantess. (Croquemitaine, iii. 2.) Amoronthologosphorus.
(See Hair.) (The Three Hairs.) Anantachaturdasivratakatha. (Sanskrit work.) (See Trübner's Literary
Record.)
Antipericatametanaparbeugedamphi-cribrationes Toordicantium. One of the books in the library of St.
Victor. (Rabelais: Pantagruel, ii. 7.)
Batrachomyomachia (battle of the frogs and mice). A Greek mock heroic.
Cluninstaridysarchides. (Plautus.)
Deanthropomorphisation.
Don Juan Nepomuceno de Burionago-natotorecagageazcoecha. An employe in the finance department
of Madrid (1867).
Drimtaidhvrickhilliohattan, in the Isle of Mull, Argyleshire.
Honorificabilitudinitatibus, called the longest word in the (?) English language. It frequently occurs in old
plays. (See Bailey's Dictionary.) The “quadradimensionality” is almost as long.

“Thou art not so long by the head as honorific-abilitudinitatibus.”- Shakespeare: Love's
Labour's Lost, v. 1.

#75864 07/13/02 04:02 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Inanthropomorphisability of deity.
Jungefrauenzimmerdurchschwind-suchttoedtungs-gegenverein (German. (See Notes and Queries, vol.
v. p. 124, first series.)
Kagwadawwacomëgishearg. An Indian chief, who died in Wisconsin in 1866.
Lepadotemachoselachogaleokraniolcip-sanodrimupotrimmatosilphioparaomelit-okatakeclummenokichlepikossuphophat-toperisteralektruonoptegkephalokigklop-eleiolagoosiraiobaletraganopterugon.
It is one of the longest words extant (179 English and 169 Greek letters and consisting of 78 syllables).
(Aristophanes: Ekklesiazousai, v. 1169.)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrn-drobwllllandyssiliogogogoch. The name of a Welsh village in
Anglesea. In the postal directory the first twenty letters only are given as a sufficient address for practical
purposes, but the full name contains 59 letters. The meaning is, “The church of St. Mary in a hollow of
white hazel, near to the rapid whirlpool, and to St. Tisilio church, near to a red cave.”

“What, Mr. Manhound, was it not enough thus to have
morcrocastebezasteverestegrigeligoscop-apondrillated us all in our upper members with your
botched mittens, but you must also apply such
morderegrippiatabirofreluchamburdureca-quelurintimpaniments on our shin-bones with the
hard tops and extremities of your cobbled shoes.”- Rabelais, illustrated by Gustavc Dore, p.

#75865 07/13/02 04:07 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sorry about making screen go wide.

They morramborizeverzengirizequo-quemorgasacbaquevezinemaffretiding my poor eye. (Rabelais:
Pantagruel, iv. 15.)
Nitrophenylenediamine. A dye of an intense red colour.

“Dinitroaniline, chloroxynaphthalic acid, which may be used for colouring wool in intense red;
and nitrophenylenediamine of chromatic brilliancy.”- William Crookes: The Times, October
5th, 1868.

Polyphrasticontinomimegalondulaton.

“Why not wind up the famous ministerial declaration with `Konx Ompax' or the mystic `Om'
or that difficult expression `Polyphrasti-continomimegalondulaton?' ”- The Star.

M. N. Rostocostojambedanesse, author of After Beef, Mustard. (Rabelais: Pantagruel, ii. 7.)
Sankashtachaturthivratodyapana. (Sanskrit work.) (See Trübner's Literary Record. Forster gives one of
152 syllables.
Tetramethyldiamidobenzhydrols.

There are more of them, but perhaps to post them would be overkill.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith