Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#75333 07/08/02 04:35 PM
D
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
further to fishonabike's question, how many people here are musicians and what do you play? thought it would be interesting to see (maybe love of music and language are connected? got no proof but i reckon it could be)

#75334 07/08/02 04:49 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
hiya dody -

I have to confess, I'm not much of a musician - but I do blow down one or other of my two didgeridoos when the spirit moves me....

Am interested in this comment of yours, though: maybe love of music and language are connected? I have discovered that writers are among the most active in other arts as well. From being in a writers' group, and in a writers' book group, and from dabbling, myself, in various other branches of the arts, I have discovered that those who are writers are, very often, also one or more of the following:

artists
photographers
dancers
actors
musicians
videographers or cinematographers
designers

and almost any other art you can think of. I don't know how much it runs the other way, from other arts into writing.

I re-read Margaret Kennedy's Lucy Carmichael recently, and in it she said something to the effect that music is the least educative of all the arts. That made a lot of sense to me: it is uplifting but doesn't necessarily make you think. It engages the emotions far more than the intellect. I can think of pieces of music I have found wonderfully compelling and enticing, beautiful or gritty or having some other serious hook that caught and held my attention; but I can't think of a single thing I've learned from music that has increased my understanding of the world and my place in it (though it sure has made the world, and my place in it, a more beautiful place to be!).

Just an observation, meant in no way to negate what music DOES give us....ahhhhh.....So I, too, am curious to see how many musicians there are on the board - bless 'em all, they have a talent I just don't possess, and wish I did. [envy-e]

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#75335 07/08/02 04:50 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Voice count?

#75336 07/08/02 05:04 PM
D
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
i should think so or i wasted ten sodding years training (6-16)

#75337 07/08/02 06:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

voice count?

it certainly does!! one of my main missions is the equalization of vocalists with instrumentalists. I regularly get paid as an instrumentalist(bass, percussion), but it's only been recently that my skills as a singer have been rewarded. </rant>
I teach music, including band in the past, so I play most instruments. Jazz bass(a Fender fretless) and voice are my main instruments now. I also compose and conduct.

we are all made of frequencies; each of us a unique combination of fundamental and overtones, therefore music is the original language of life.

formerly known as etaoin...
#75338 07/08/02 06:46 PM
C
C
Since you asked, I played the Euphonium in our high school symphony band and the Valve Trombone in our jazz band. On my list of "101 things I want to do before I die" is 'Take Voice Lessons'. I love to sing but those around me would prefer that I don't. Thankfully my children aren't attuned (pun intended) to my voice slaughter and rather appreciate it when I sing to them!

#75339 07/08/02 06:49 PM
C
C
MG say :

Am interested in this comment of yours, though: maybe love of music and language are connected? I have discovered that writers are among the most active in other arts as well. From being in a writers' group, and in a writers' book group, and from dabbling, myself, in various other branches of the arts, I have discovered that those who are writers are, very often, also one or more of the following:

artists
photographers
dancers
actors
musicians
videographers or cinematographers
designers

and almost any other art you can think of. I don't know how much it runs the other way, from other arts into writing.

Chem say: looks like a pretty 'right-brained' group of folks to me. I can't draw a circle without help and couldn't write an interesting paragraph to save my life. Thankfully there is a place in the world for us in-jun-ears!

#75340 07/08/02 10:16 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
we are all made of frequencies; each of us a unique combination of fundamental and overtones, therefore music is the original language of life.

I love this. I also happen to believe it. At the end of the day we don't consist of much except teeny weeny bits of stuff (waves?) that whizz around (vibrate) bloody quickly. Same goes for the world, and everything reverberates and resonates (perhaps better open the window after that one ).

Anyway, for the record I play acoustic guitar, sing reasonably after a few drinks (especially like harmonies), can play piano up to Moonlight Sonata level, and once had a great time mucking around on a drum kit at a party. When I win the lottery I'm going for a soundproofed room and a drumkit. Oh, and a recording studio.

#75341 07/08/02 10:29 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
music is the least educative of all the arts

Think I see what you're getting at here, MG. And I think I agree as regards music without words. Songs, of course, can engage you completely (emotionally and intellectually, well, beyond both really) - words and music working together and making very strong medicine.

I'd say that it's not just other artists who make musicians - I've certainly met more than one composer who was also good at maths, astronomy and computer programming. And chemistry! As a side note, chemists often make good programmers for some reason .

#75342 07/08/02 11:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: we are all made of frequencies--

yes, and most human skulls, because of the proportions, resonate at middle C -- or as some of us like to know it, 660Hz.. so if your local service is in 60HZ AC(all of US, parts of Europe, and souther part of main Japanese island (tokyo and north are 50Hz) (i don't know rest of the world)
But if you are in the 60Hz range, you can do this..

sit about 6 to 10 feet (2 to 3 meters) away from a TV screen, and hum middle C .

since 60 and 660 are related frequencies, what ends up happening is your head starts to vibrate..in a resonent frequency and since you TV is being refreshed at the same rate, the picture changes.. depending on your own heads personal frequency, how good you are at mantaining perfect middle C, and the distance, you tv pictue my "break up" or you might be begin to see the raster fresh (that is, you'll see the image being updated (actually you see ever 6th image being updated) or the image might seem to jerk, almost as if it is being reversed.. (a little alcohol, to relax you helps!) its a fun weird thing to do at a party..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith