Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#74314 06/27/02 04:05 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Anu,

I have a proposition to make that could use some modification, but a proposition nonetheless.

There has been a lot of bad blood spilt here on this board that goes beyond expected arguments over language and insult one would find on a board about language.

Having been a member of this board for nine months now--and a member of a music board for over two years--I believe we have created here an environment in which truth has been flushed down the toilet.

What we need here is a means for cleaning house, and apparently having an administrator didn't work.

So, this is what I propose. Should a member regularly become embroiled in conflict to the point that harsh effects occur, such as at least 30 members refusing to post, could the group vote to rid the board of the conflicting presence? I cannot see how a member whose behavior has worked against peace, consistently and characteristically, should be allowed to retain posting rights. It seems that the person's name could come up for a vote, with a few reasonable safeguards in place, such as those who vote should have had some degree of an active life on the board, at least one month, so each would have had time to study past posts and have understanding of the board. Sock puppet votes should be disallowed, but I don't have the knowledge to know how you could go about ferreting them out. I'd be honest myself, and I would hope others would be, too.

Since adminstration didn't work due to circumstances we do not have full information about, perhaps a democratic spirit of voting would. I cannot imagine any group that shouldn't have the ability to rid itself of members who do not adhere to expected behavior--that is, rid itself of any member who habitually works against expected behavior. I do not believe this board should be conducted like a court of law. I believe in common sense. I believe we, who have posted and written here over time, have enough experience and intelligence to know when a problem--not just an occasional knee-jerk reaction--has become an impediment. In the words of the seer: We don't need no steenkin' rules! But we do need means to say, "Enough is enough--out, out, dark spot!"

Thank you for listening, if you're listening,
Theresa, aka. Wordwind, OrionsBelt, Archedbrow and Scorpionstings, there, I 'fessed them all.

#74315 06/27/02 04:42 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I object. The board should not be ruled by what 30 or so posters would or would not do.

#74316 06/27/02 04:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you'd rather it be ruled by keiva?
you'd rather a liar?
a stalker?
a flamer?

Why?
Actually i don't want to rule the board, and i don't think most of the many who used to post here, want to either. but nor do we want to be ruled.

#74317 06/27/02 05:12 PM
C
C
Each of us are our own ruler. We decide whether we read, post or even log on.

I suggest an 'ignore' feature. Found on other boards, one can identify a poster and choose to 'ignore' them - meaning that their postings will not appear on their screens.

Respectfully,
Chem

#74318 06/27/02 05:13 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Do not trouble deaf heaven with your bootless cries.
Deprive Keiva of any enjoyment of his ill-gotten gains.

#74319 06/27/02 05:15 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Each of us are our own ruler. We decide whether we read, post or even log on.

My sentiments, exactly.

#74320 06/27/02 05:37 PM
E
E

#74321 06/27/02 05:42 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
How many of us are willing to let Keiva enjoy profits of foul deed?
I for one will never do so. His pride is the only place where we can wound him.
Keiva: you are not welcome on AWADtalk.

#74322 06/27/02 06:04 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
His pride is the only place where we can wound him.

Is this about wounding then? There are already enough wounding raging around the world. Do we have to add to it? Is this the behavior we are imparting to our young?

#74323 06/27/02 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For me, it is extremely hard. I just can't summon the inner strength required to ignore the presence of someone who has accused me of being antisemitic. I just can't find the peace of mind needed to turn the other cheek to someone who has sworn that he would "nuke the board", and followed through on that threat. I just can't seem to avoid the way that my stomach turns whenever I see a post from the person that browbeat and maltreated our friend Jackie the way that he did. And now, I shudder when I think of his creepy behavior evidenced by the presence of his acolyte at Wordapalooza last weekend (from which he was disinvited in no uncertain terms) and his subsequent meeting with her in Lansing on Sunday to get his debriefing.

I, for one, no longer want to share this space with him. I've tried to stay away my self, but I feel cheated in so doing. I have been here nearly from the outset, but that was just a matter of chance. I am probably second only to wwh in number of posts, but that is just a matter of longevity. What would you have me do?!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith