About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#73792 07/30/02 02:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was tremendously significant to the Allies - but I recall it was also a stroke of luck coupled with a very bad strategic move by the Bismarck's captain, is that right?

So you see, Shona...calling the Bismarck unsinkable was a titanic mistake! sorry, somebody had to say it

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Partially True History of the Doughnut

Many historians died to get this information on the web. Use this knowledge with great care:

http://www.elliskaiser.com/doughnuts/history.html

Also, Doughnut Philosophy here!

And doughnut eating tips!

TIP #2

Water, tea, and wine are generally considered inappropriate for doughnuts although there is still some debate over drinking beer with them.

And all this on one tasty site!

#73794 07/30/02 08:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Talk about not rising to bait! I'm still chuckling about "intromission being a form of dunking".

Thanks for rising to my bait, Dr Bill.

#73795 07/30/02 12:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re:. It was tremendously significant to the Allies - but I recall it was also a stroke of luck coupled with a very bad strategic move by the Bismarck's captain, is that right?

Yes, it was a series of lucky bits..

First, a Norwegian member of the underground, saw the newly completed Bismarck steaming north (going up into arctic, to circle round Iceland, and "surprize" convoys by appearing in the mid atlantic) so the british knew were the bismark was, and laid in wait, at the other side of Iceland.

TheHood was there,, and up to the match..Well, not quite... The Hood was sunk by the Bismarck, an breaking all the laws of the sea, they refused to remain long enough to pick up the sailors, since they suspected rightfully, that there were more british and allied ships as back ups on the way.

The Hood had gotten off a few torpedos before being sunk, and while none were enought to sink the Bismarck they did hit one below the water line, and the Bismarck was taking on water. And worse, it had damaged the oil lines, so 1) they were contaminated with sea water, and 2) the back up lines were leaking too, so they were losing oil presure, and could not maintain speed -- since the bismarck was then the fastest thing going, getting away from the Hood, and Allied patrol boats was dependant on speed.

but the bismarck almost made it.. But the captain was convinced he hadn't! So he broke radio silence, and gave away his postition! but the bismarck had moved out of range of all of the british fleet..

a last ditch attempt was made using torpedos mounted on bi-planes, with canvas wings! The bismarck was at the very end of their flying range.. Seas were rough, and droping a torpedo off a airplane as new... There was one direct hit.. it destroyed the rudder, and now, the bismarck was almost a drift..

The admiralty planned to have another attack by the bi-planes, but bits and pieces of the navy moved into place, catching up to the now slow, and rudderless Bismarck the sea men wanted to finish her off, and did.. it was payback for the lost men of the Hood.

and that is my some total of knowledge about the sinking of the bismarck!

#73796 07/30/02 12:23 PM
C
C
My first job as a young'un was at a donut shop, affectionately called 'The Donut Hole' (original I'm sure...). I filled many a bismarck in Belvidere, Illinois (midwesterners call them bismarcks too) with cream, custard, lemon, raspberry and even blueberry. We also specialized in bear claws. Bismarcks could be sugar glazed, white or chocolate glazed, or merely topped with cane sugar. I had a mighty strong right arm after a summer of filling hundreds a night.

Another favorite I had was a creme horn. Anyone ever had one?? I don't remember how exactly they were made but they were 5 or 6" of flaky fried dough filled with fluffy white creme. They looked like little dunce hats. Almost as much fun to play with as to eat!

Won't hardly touch a donut now though.......blech. Maybe an occasional Krispy Kreme glazed, but that's it.

#73797 07/30/02 01:54 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Hey, Bean! I was in eastern Michigan this weekend and guess what? There is a Tim Horton's in Lapeer, Michigan. I just had to stop in this morning and give their coffee a try. You are right. It's good, way too hot to hold on to the cup, but good.

Oh Connie, I am so excited for you! I heard that Tim's was expanding to the US but then heard no more. As for the heat - you can ask for a double cup, if you want. My husband always gets a "large double double" (two creams, two sugars) so his is cooler than mine, which is "medium two sugars", and doesn't have the cooling power of the cream. I'm often given a double cup without asking for it.

Anyway, it would be an interesting experiment to try ordering a "Large [or medium or small] double double" to see if they know what it is. I get the feeling it's a Canada-specific (especially Tim-Horton's-specific) phrase, though I have no confirmation of that.

#73798 07/30/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(tweren't me that done turned this into a food thread)

From the TH web site:

As of December 2001, there are over 140 Tim Hortons locations in the United States. These are situated in the greater Detroit area, Bay City, Midland, Saginaw and Flint (Michigan); Columbus and Toledo (Ohio); Buffalo and Jamestown (New York); and Portland, Lewiston and Auburn (Maine). Future expansion and opportunities will continue in these markets as well as Rochester (New York) and Erie (PA).

Oddly, they are owned by Wendy's (is that a Canadian co.??).

http://www.timhortons.com

in fact, I tried to stay in a word vein by introducing the naughty "intromission" and nobody got it, or chose to comment on it, except Dr Bill, as expected)

#73799 07/30/02 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Poor AnnaStrophic-- but its kind of hard when the word is "Donuts" not to veer off on to donuts.. but i picked up on Fishona's responce and worked the history angle...(not that i haven't done my part to keep focused on the food aspect..

and no responce on "creamed" meaning total vanquished.. Fishona thinks cockney rhyming slang.. i think its from squishing bugs...

But i think creamed is like woody-- it could be about food, (creamed corn) or about victory, or it could end up being bawdy..there are way to many meanings to cream, creamy, creamed, and associated words!

#73800 07/30/02 02:18 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Trolling through the "about Wendy's" pages reveals that no, Wendy's is not Canadian, which does not particularly surprise me because Dave Thomas has a very strong USn accent, at least to my ears. Apparently Wendy's and Tim's merged in 1995. (Why does this sound like a gossip column?) Tim's was started in 1964, by some guy named Ron Joyce who partnered with Tim Horton (an NHL player).

#73801 07/30/02 02:49 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Wendy's (is that a Canadian co.??).

no siree

The first Wendy's is in downtown Columbus, Ohio. My grandfather was the manager of a paint supplies store in Columbus and my uncle worked for him when Dave Thomas came in to buy supplies for his first restaurant.

[EDIT] and btw, Wendy's is based in Dublin, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith