Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
#7343 10/18/00 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An admission that baseball sucks?
Does this year, far as I'm concerned, mav. [pout]

What could you mean? Baseball is only interesting when NY Yankees are in World series (ok, so its not really a world series, its North American-- but it only counts if the Yankees are playing!)

#7344 10/18/00 05:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen,
Welcome to the board. It would have been PERFECT had you actually been from Troy, NY. But great name, anyway.
Well, as you can see from my bio, I live in Atlanta, and it's kinda noblesse oblige to root root root for the home team. Absent the Braves, though, I'll support anyone playing against the Mets.

And yes, I vote with Rhub that we lay this thread to rest, also for the reason that's it's getting a bit long.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Ok, let me do a little explaining, I think the way I expressed myself was a little off.

My post was mainly in response to the implication that the word American conveys vulgarity for many people. I'm trying to say that most Americans should not be seen as detestable. All across the world people have the same moral values. Just because someone lives in the United States is no reason to not like them. I do believe that the USA is the sole world power and somewhat of a role model, but I mean this in a merely political way, not personal. Our government has combined the best parts of past governments to come up with what seems to be the most successful in history, but I in no way believe that the US is superior culturally.

Frankly, I think that the US is judged too much by our foreign policy, and most people don't want us intervening politically, but this is no reason to shun Americans personally.

Hopefully this clears up my seemingly brash former post.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Much clearer, and thanks.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Jazz. I was not put off by your previous comments. I may not agree with all of them but I am sure you (or anyone else for that matter) will not always agree with my comments. If I am way out there in a potato field (can you say that in English?) I expect somebody will say so.

In life you have to have the courage of your convictions, and you seem to have it in spades. I'm sorry Rhu felt we were going in a negative direction. It did not seem so to me. The proof is that there are no personal attacks on this board and that everyone (you and me included) are willing to listen to other points of view.

It is always interesting to discuss a subject with someone who has great passion for the subject - as long as it is that --- a discussion.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
. If I am way out there in a potato field (can you say that in English?) I expect somebody will say so.

Since this thread veered in its current direction partly as a result of discussing the World Series, it seems appropriate that the English idiom which seems closest to the one you used is one from baseball: something or someone that surprises you, or seems strange could be "way out in left field."

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

way out in left field

Now I have never understood this expression, at least I understand what it means but not why it means that. I know baseball is something like rounders and the players' garb looks (to me at any rate) most peculiar, but that's about as far as my knowledge of the game goes. Would somebody care to explain?

Bingley

Bingley
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Now I have never understood this expression, at least I understand what it means but not why it means that. Would somebody care to explain?

How nice it is to learn that I am not the only one in the dark on this!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just thought of a new thread on this.
Am posting in Miscellany: phrases from baseball.

#7352 10/19/00 01:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this one really does warrant a YART flag, as some interesting conjecture was posted on the question. also see Jackie's new thread.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith