Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
J
old hand
old hand
J
I have to say that I'm offended by the assumption of non-Americans that Americans are such bad people. I can think of but two reasons for this animosity: our foreign policy and jealousy.

1) Yes, our foreign policy does seem rather intrusive at times. I personally believe that we should stay out of the business of other countries unless we've been asked to help. At the beginning of World War I our nation still had the mentality of isolationism. We tried desperately to stay out of the war, but our allies needed our help, so we entered the war and won. This gave us the idea that we should be a benevolent nation and help whenever it seemed someone needed our help. If we didn't fight battles in Europe and Asia, our military wouldn't have much to do: only once has war been brought to American soil since 1814. Yes, I agree that we have tried to help when we haven't been wanted, and this has definitely caused some hatred, but are good intentions punishable?

2) Many nations seem to think that we're a bunch of stuck up snobs because we created the single most industrialized world power in the would because of a yearning for individual freedom and the belief that hard work will get you somewhere in the world. Many nations are jealous of our prosperity and and angered because our ancestors made it look so easy. But the truth is that we worked through the hard times. Morality prevailed when we said that we'd had enough of slavery, workers stood up against the oppressions of big business during the Industrial Revolution and we forced ourselves through the Great Depression. Our path to industrial super power and world role model was not an easy one, and we'd appreciate it if you'd get off our backs about it.

The simple fact is that we're not all the same. Of course there are some snobbish people, some lazy people, some racist people, but the majority of the United Statesians are hard working, caring suburbanites who don't have any biases against foreigners. As a nation we want prosperity for everyone and intend to lead the world to all-encompassing peace.

(I hope I didn't offend anyone, but this is my opinion and I fail to see why anyone could have such generalized animosity toward a nation.)

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Jazz

There are three points you should consider:

The first: It is a rare circumstance indeed where the "big guy" is not looked upon with some animosity. Look in the real world. More often than not, employees in the shop (warehouse floor, production line, whatever) dislike the floor managers who in turn dislike the people in the front office who in turn dislike management and upward on to the top. Cliques happen for a reason. There is rarely out-`n-out hatred but a general uneasyness and disquietude. The States are a really big guy.

The second: The “shop” example above stems from a lack of communication. Not simply in exchanging words but in an inability to communicate in the same terms and in the same manner. The same holds true for countries and their inhabitants. I’ll give you an example of miscommunication. In your post your write Our path to industrial super power and world role model was not an easy one . You are communication as an American. I would never think of writing this type of sentence. Whether or not it is true, it can be construed as grandstanding. Who decided you were a role model? Were you trying to say that my country is not as good as yours and that we should look up to you? Miscommunication I am sure.

The third: Nationalism v.s. patriotism…see previous thread. The former puts people off.

This is where we come in. This board is a great example of how a wide assortment of people can exchange ideas and, without setting out to, get to really know people from outside their own circle. Rome wasn’t built in a day. World peace is not around the corner. But every time someone new comes on board and is welcomed by the group (as I have seen here many times over) we are building bridges and bringing down walls.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have to say that I'm offended by the assumption of non-Americans that Americans are such bad people.

JazzO, I must have missed something here. Where is the post implying that Americans are "bad people"? Or are you just sort of soap-boxing in general?

#7336 10/18/00 02:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An admission that baseball sucks?

Does this year, far as I'm concerned, mav. [pout]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
belMarduk--

Amen.

As a nation we want prosperity for everyone and intend to lead the world to all-encompassing peace.

Sorry, Jazz, but this is incredibly presumptuous.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that self-righteous is another term that leaps to mind....

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R

As a nation we want prosperity for everyone and intend to lead the world to all-encompassing peace.

Sorry, Jazz, but this is incredibly presumptuous.

Certainly it is presumptious, but the sentiment behind it is admirable - I would need some convincing that your leaders shared it, incidently, but I an completely certain that the "ordinary" people of USA do. Any movement needs a leader - ask any thinking and committed anarchist - and the fittest leader tends to rise to the top in the hour of need (like King Arthur ) If the USA is consciously fitting themselves for the job, and show they can do it, I, for one, would be happy to follow - even though I would far prefer that the UK had the job (small hopes, given present government - or the alternative!)

As to the USA being a role model for the world - again, the way you couched it, Jazz, was a bit overbearing, but it does mirror what has actually happened in large parts of the world - you have stated what is, practically speaking, the truth.
Whether I consider it is a model that should be accepted by all is, of course, another matter

So keep the aspidistra flying, Jazz - more power to your elbow.

X
X
Many nations seem to think that we're a bunch of stuck up snobs because we created the single most industrialized world power in the would
because of a yearning for individual freedom and the belief that hard work will get you somewhere in the world.

I don't think that 'nationalism' is the issue here. I think that it has more to do with youthful fervor. (no age bashing here, as far as I can tell, I'm the second youngest among us.) Idealism was something which affected me until I had the opportunity to 'grow up' a little bit. After I was bitten by reality a few times I realized my views of the world were a bit too simplistic. Perhaps they still are. (I am speaking of myself here, not Jazz) My point is that I don't think self-righteousnes or nationalism is the issue here, but intense idealism. I find it to be an admirable quality that I miss in myself.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
This is getting a bit heated.

Can I ask that this thread is laid down, please?
I plead guilty to having stirred the waters myself, and find I'm getting hot under the collar again.

I also feel that some of the remarks made are not in the general spirit of the board - at least, I hope they're not.

X
X
and find I'm getting hot under the collar again

apologies, I'm sure no one intends to offend.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith