Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72498 06/12/02 11:15 AM
A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I would like to share one of my pet peeves with people who will actually understand: people who don't use ellipses properly! It dirves me absolutely insane, and I'm not sure which is worse - only two........... or dozens?

And of course, the other pet hate is apostrophes in the wrong place - or superfluously! - but that's a whole nother kettle of fishies...

alexis

G
old hand
old hand
G

M
old hand
old hand
M
I'll say it again: Geoff, you naughty man!

I'm with alexis and Silk. Incorrectly used apostrophes and ellipses are annoying!

I thought the rule with ellipses was: three if you removed a part of a sentence, and four if the part that was removed included a period (ie, if you removed the end of one sentence and resumed quoting with the beginning of the next sentence). I never adhere to that rule myself, because for some reason I just like the look of four anyway....(nothing removed there, just a pause for effect!) - but I THINK that's the "rule."

Apostrophes.....North Americans seem to be using all the spare ones that Australia DOESN'T use! Ayers Rock is Ayers Rock, not Ayer's Rock, even though it was named for, um, was it William Ayer? somebody Ayer, anyway. I noticed that all over Oz when I was down there - the apostrophe for possessive names seemed to have completely disappeared. Weird.

I like Silk's example: free kitten's WHAT?!

N
addict
addict
N
Them's the ellipses rules, MG, at least the same ones I've always used. Nother thing that drives me crazy is the use of multiple exclamation points and question marks!!! I know people do it for emphasis, but IMHO, more than one is overkill, especially with question marks. Is it more of a question if you use ???

#72502 06/13/02 04:42 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
I hear you, nancyk!!!!!!!!!!!

what one of my high school English teachers used to call:

Schoolgirl style!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes - my understanding is of the three/four dots depending context.

One of my big peeves with apostrophes is "CD's on sale." As with the kitten - (un)lucky CD! Who's going to buy him/her? Some say that you're allowed to have an apostrophe after capitals/abbreviations (as in the thread "P's and Q's") - but I say: why?? yes, I think 2x question marks can add emphasis sometimes!

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Incorrectly used apostrophes and ellipses are annoying

I am very good with apostrophe's but I must have been absent from class when they discussed ellipses
I just threw them in willy-nilly (right use of willy-nilly?)thinking there were no rules, honest!

thanks mg for filling me in.

M
old hand
old hand
M
My pleasure, wordcrazy (I was familiarly going to call you "wc" but then I suddenly remembered what that stands for in some cultures - not wordcrazy, but water closet!)....

Just to add to the rules about ellipses (or the question about them, more properly): What do y'all know about them coming in the middle of a thought, that you want to divide into two sentences? because I remember seeing square brackets placed around the first letter of the first word after the ellipse, to indicate that it was originally whatever it's not, now (eg, if it was originally a capital, it would be lowercase in the square brackets after an ellipse, and vice-versa). Anyone know?

eg: He went around to the side of the building where the vacant lot is to look for his lost basketball but the flowers were very tall there. He felt certain he had no hope of finding it.

would become ~

He went around to the side of the building where the vacant lot is to look for his lost basketball but....{h}e felt certain he had no hope of finding it.

(sorry, had to use squiggly brackets in case program tried to do something funny with the squares, since they're the convention for markup!) (and sorry for the lame example, too - best I could come up with on the spur of the moment)

A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
MG, that's what I've done in all my essays - the square brackets thing that is - I don't remember where I learned it, and I know that some people don't do it. However, I think it's truer to the original to do that, retaining meaning in your own new-ish sentence at the same time.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 988 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith