Print Thread
#71782 05/30/02 03:16 PM
H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
While pointing my profile at an omnibus edition of P.G. Wodehouse whilst riding on the omnibus to and from my place of employment, I came across a curious bit of language, and I'd love for the POMs in the crowd to help out.

In Right Ho, Jeeves, for various reasons, Anatole, the genius chef in the household of Bertie Wooster's Aunt Dahlia, is having a bad time of it (Bertie keeps encouraging people to lay off their meals in order to make clear how emotionally wrought they are - naturally, the tempermental French chef is upset to see his dishes return untouched to the kitchen). With the stage thus set, I came across the f.:

Anatole, I learned, had retired to his bed with a fit of the vapours, and the meal now before us had been cooked by the kitchen maid - as C3 a performer as ever wielded a skillet.

In the original the "3" is written as subscript, so it looks a bit like a chemical notation, but I don't know how to do that here.

Anyway - what the hell's it mean?

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I think it being written in subscript is an error - I am sure it is not like that in my copy. Otherwise, a C3 performer is much lower on the scale of excellence than an A1 performer such as Anatole, who I seem to recall first appeared in the employment of that great novelist Rosie M. Banks.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Hyla: as a jest, if you have problem with P.G.Wodehouse book, why not use "Ask Jeeves" search engine?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith