Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71611 05/28/02 08:12 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Writing as one who is usually last to know, I just realized today that the number of thread viewings is highly deceptive.

Here's why: Yeah, Wordwind, tell us what the rest of us always knew...

Everytime you click on a page of a thread, the number increases. For instance, if there's an eight-page thread that you haven't read, everytime you click on a new page of the thread, the number of thread viewings increases by one.

Therefore, the number of viewings increases on that single eight-page thread by eight even though only one person has read that thread one time.

Feeling a lot better for having pointed out the inflation of numbers here (even though everybody else already knew it),
Wordwind And to think it took me nine months to realize this!!!

H
addict
addict
H
If'n ya go ta "Edit Profile" an' ya select "Display Preferences" an' then ya set "Total posts to show on one page when viewing a thread in flat mode" ta 99 or so, it's a rare thread indeed that goes ta multiple pages.

If the whole world did this, we could dramatically curtail the problem of view inflation in one swell foop, and leave this place better for generations to come.

Thank you, and good night.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well said, Hyla! And I will do as you suggested immediately if not sooner!

Wordwind

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well fancy that. WW, don't feel bad about bringing stuff up. See, now I've learned something and have changed my number of posts per page to 99. How great is that?! No needless clicking back 'n forth.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and now you better understand why we also tend to start a new thread when a topic goes to 100, (and page 2!) and with old threads, you sometimes can't get to page 2.. but if you have preference set to 99, voila! most (or all) of the thread is available!

we old timers keep saying this.. and we keep saying try to "post" your comments to the comment your are responding to..

In this case, i am responding to belM, but if i responded to WW, it would look the same (in flat mode) but for those of us who get notified is some one has responded to one of our 'posts' (as many do) it makes a big difference!

the easiest thing in the world is to read flat, and the just respond "flat" (that is just hit the respond button on the very last post we see) but its really better to read 'flat', and then scroll back to the comment that you want to respond to, an hit the respond button there.. then it's easy to copy a bit of the text (and usefull if the thread has two or three topics being woven in and out.. ) an include it in your response!

there are some here who read threaded (not me!) and others, who pay a premium for on line time (not me, again) and this really makes it easier for them to keep up.. is like the basic 'rules of the road' (in US), slow traffic to right, fast traffic to left.-- here it's read flat, responde threaded..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an other cool trick is, to set display preferences to Post Header Top (not side) then the info about who posted in in a few lines across the top, and threads are less likely to Wide-- when someone has a long-ish URL posted..
(PS-- view this thread in threaded mode, an you'll see, this post is in response to Hyla's! posting, not belM's, or WW's-- (Oh the blinding light of so many light bulbs going on!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
but Helen, don't you find that the threads get longer if you post multiple responses to a pile of people rather than one post answering everbody?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, and i don't always do it.. but sometimes, it makes sense.. some threads have 2 or 3 seperate topics going.. and those who do read threaded.. might miss your comments, if you only 'post' flat. it also rare that i am interested in all three topics.. i might read the stuff, but 'pass' on responding to topic A, but be very exicited about topic C. Max, on the other had, who is having a serious (and to me boring!) discussion about topic A, doesn't want to read my recipes! (boring to him!)

Its like being in room, and several people are talking about the same thing (Jenifer Lopez, say!), but the guys are talking about how hot she is (or isn't,), and the girls are all talking about how thin she has gotten, or her outfit..and the kids are talking about her newest music video.. i might hear what the kids have to say, but i am not really part of their conversation, nor do i find her sexually attractive (she attractive, but i'm not attracted to her!).. Does that make sense?

D
addict
addict
D
Does that make sense?

Choose your own response - I can't pick between the two.

I was with you up to "yes".

It did, until you started talking about J Lo not being attractive.

#71620 05/29/02 02:31 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith