Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70317 05/17/02 07:45 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A couple days ago, hay and straw were mentioned. Of troy asked about straw. Just now I was searching for something else in the Bible, and encountered these verses:

8 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut
down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.

I checked in my dictionary, and "strawed" is old past tense of "strew".

traw 7strC8
n.
5ME stra < OE streaw, akin to streawian: see STREW
1 hollow stalks or stems of grain after threshing, collectively: used for fodder, for bedding, for making hats, etc.
2 a single one of such stalks
3 such a stalk or, now esp., a tube of waxed paper, plastic, etc., used for sucking beverages
4 something, as a hat, made of straw
5 something of little or no value; worthless trifle
6 short for STRAW MAN (sense 4)
adj.
1 straw-colored; yellowish
2 made of straw
3 of little or no value or significance; worthless; meaningless
a straw in the wind an indication of what may happen
grasp (or clutch or catch) at a straw (or straws) to try any measure, however unlikely, that offers even the least hope
straw$y
adj.

#70318 05/17/02 10:00 PM
E
E

#70319 05/17/02 10:31 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Types of hay...wish I had a comprehensive list, but these I've gathered:

Timothy
Alfalfa (Lucerne)
Fescue
Peanut Hay
Bermuda Grass
Orchard Grass
Clover

Additions from Google:

Veld Hay
Yellow brown in colour, long and has no seed and no nutritional value [my note: now why would anybody want hay that has no nutritional value?]

Red Grass Hay

Erogrostis

Teff
(Is a seed hay therefore high in protein
Very soft to the touch
Sweet smelling
Is quite long in length and because of the price is mostly fed to racehorses)

Oat Hay

Brome Hay

Meadow Hay

Cocksfoot Hay

Ryegrass

There's a polysyllabic hay I can't remember, but it begins with an "l"--does anybody know this one?

I'll add to the above list as I research hay on google. They're rolling up the first yield of hay now in our county. Some hayfields yield three cuttings; some, two.

#70320 05/18/02 12:19 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Back when I was working on genealogy, I read about a farm near MA,RI line near seacoast/ When the owner died the evaluation of the property valued two acres of "salt meadow" equal to the whole rest of the hundred acres of the farm. I was astounded. Finally it occurred to me that the salt meadow having its nutrients replaced each year by the sea. had no decrease in yield, whereas all the inland hay acres had been so depleted by fifty years of use were virtually worthless, because the animal manure could not replace enough of the nutrients removed. No feedstore fertilizer in those days. Stupid organic farmers to the contrary.
One thing about meadow hay.It has a relatively high magnesium content and is very laxivating.

#70321 05/18/02 12:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from your edited list of grasses, WW comes, Erogrostis
this grass, which bears a big seed head, is one of the staple grains of Ethiopia. its name come from Eros, and seed for it is commonly sold in stores in this country, as an ornimental grass-- Love grass!

the new splinter country (sorry memory fails, but there is a chunk of what was ethiopia, that now calls it self, Er****(sp?) the name of this country is from the grain (a real case of we are what we eat!)

#70322 05/18/02 01:11 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
From your edited list of grasses, WW, you left off...

broomcorn Once widely grown in the american midwest, today ninety per cent of the broomcorn crop is imported into the states from Mexico.

yucca YucK! A lesser natural fiber used in brooms primarily to stiffen. Yucca is processed by the shredding of the yucca plant. Almost one hundred per cent of the yucca used by the broom industry is harvested from wild plants from Arizona.

Uh, not to pry, WW, but don't you sweep?

#70323 05/18/02 01:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Milun, aren't you familiar with the AWAD way of cleaning?

We sweep a room with a glance (Wow's contribution, as i recall)

You could eat off our floors (there enough crumbs there for a 3 course meal!--

Every thing is in its place! (the dust bunnies remain under the beds and sofas, the cobwebs remain in the dark and hard to reach corners)

Oh and i have forgotten some of the others.. but i am sure all the women here, who value words more thanHousecleaning chores will supply the hints i have missed!

#70324 05/18/02 01:43 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The only sweeping here is guilt of sweeping statements. I've been charged with having a hyperbolic mentality.

Is broomsedge the same thing as broomcorn?

Still looking for that hay that begins with the letter L

Broom regards,
WW

An aside: A besom is a type of broom. The word besom has cracked me up ever since learning it in about 1968. Wonder how many types of brooms have special names?

#70325 05/18/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i live near a salt meadow, (now a city park, a wonderful, unimproved salt water marsh).

some houses in the neighborhood, have codicils in the deed, saying how many acres of salt hay they harvest a year.

salt hay, (and WW, the Veld grass that has no seed and no nutrictional value) was used as a garden mulch. the seed needs brakish water to germinate, so it wouldn't in a normal garden, and the plants composted readily, adding nutrients to the soil. salt hay was used for asparages beds, and to keep melon and pumpkins off the ground, and for coving up parsnips..

I pass through the salt marsh park each day (the train tracks were layed down before it became a park, and continue) every day is treat. yesterday, the resident swans were out, patroling their domain. there is also a hugh osprey nest, and scores of other birds. the cove is a protected nesting site for Horseshoe crabs.

#70326 05/18/02 02:22 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I once read that the Northern hay crop was worth more than the Southern cotton crop. I found a site about Alberta hay varieties: Alfalfa, cicer milk vetch, red clover, alsike clover, bromegrass,
reed canary grass, tall fescue,meadow foxtail,orchard grass,timothy, wheat grass, wild rye

I could not find one starting with "L"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith