Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64882 04/10/02 03:41 AM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Whew! I just got back from Nude/naked, where the discussion is JUST ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Some of it inspired me to create this thread, of which I have been thinking for some time. I hope some people will respond - I'm soooo curious.....

I would love to know how people come up with their noms de screen. Some on this board are intriguing: Jazzoctopus, for example, and Angel (I mean, howcum no one jumps all over our Angelic one for HER handle? [hurt-e] [KIDDING!-e]!), and Keiva, and Max Q (is that from Hitchhikers's? and if so, why that name?) etc.

I chose modestgoddess back when I was looking for a handle for a free email account. I thought to myself, "I want to be a goddess! O no, I couldn't possibly....Hey, modestgoddess!" And I use it EVERYWHERE I GO ON THE 'NET. So far, everyone has loved it - including editors and others for whom I've worked - save one person here in ma home town, who thinks it is presumptuous, rather than merely sumptuous, or at the very least, humorous.....I've seen some great names in emails. One of my faves was "knitwit" - which I could well have chosen (except that someone obviously beat me to it!), because my brothers call me that whenever they see me knitting.

Anyone else care to jump in and reveal (sorry, couldn't resist) the rhyme/reason behind/to their nom de screen?

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/

What can I say? I like cars... -in-cheek-e

Hev

M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Thanks hev!

But I notice (from the link) that it is possible to "develop your own hev" and to buy an hev....But but but I thought when they "made" you they broke the mold?!

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
"develop your own hev" and to buy an hev....But but but I thought when they "made" you they broke the mold?!

Oh, believe me, they may try to imitate the original, but none of those other hev will be quite the same!

Hev

L
stranger
stranger
L
Well, my name has kind of a mystic origin... several years ago I was getting a "nordic lecture" and there it said that my spirit was represented by Odin, and my guardian beast was the Leviathan (and since every time I try to enter "Odin" someone else's already using it...)

If, perhaps, everything is but a dream, Who's the one sleeping?

"If, perhaps, everything is but a dream, Who's the one sleeping?"
veteran
veteran

http://www.geocities.com/elbillaf/fallible_nick.html

k

A
addict
addict
A
ModGod! You question my Angelic nature!

Before someone goes yellin YART around here, I know there was a thread back in the stoneage here, long before any of us that are answering knew that this board existed. Would be wonderful if one of you Carpal Tunnel's could provide a link for us all!

I chat online, as it states in my profile. My first chat nic was "§nowÅngel". This came from a humorous article I wrote about the fun of snowmobiling. The gist of which was, that at one time I was not very good at it, and when I would fall off the machine, I would make an angel in the snow to protect me till I fell off again!

When I started chatting in January, it was a cute nicname. But by April, the snow had melted and it was time to change my name. A friend sang the song "Earth Angel" to me and that became my new nicname for chat. But most people just call me Angel in chat, and that has become my nicname in real life, as well. So, at times I may be a bit unangelic, but that is my nicname, none-the-less.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Leviathon. I believe you're our first non-North American.
Before someone goes yellin YART around here, I know there was a thread back in the stoneage here, long before any of us that are answering knew that this board existed. Would be wonderful if one of you Carpal Tunnel's could provide a link for us all!
Here's the stone age discussion:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=499

M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
I believe you're our first non-North American.

Gentle Jackie, do you mean our first South American? (I haven't noticed others - if they are here, I beg pardon!) 'Cos Capital Kiwi and stales and Rubrick and others might not take kindly to being lumped in with us North Americans.....

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
our first South American

Actual, he's Central American. Perhaps Jackie would have beenbetter served had she said (non-North) American.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith