Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#64587 04/10/02 05:16 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
F -- Are you seriously suggesting that our group has been free of nasty notes (except as noted in your final sentence)?

If so, glad to provide what you ask. But since others (Jackie, for example) may prefer not to have that matter posted here, I'll wait and allow time for their input -- and then send you that data by a post or by a PM.

#64588 04/10/02 05:22 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Faldage, much as I know you and ASp are besotted with each other, I hasten to preempt Keiva and point out a time that ASp was, if not nasty, at least more than a tad presumptuous. I can't be arsed to find the url but you can find the post yo'sef if you looks under Unca Bill's thread, the title of which he changed to "post denounced by modestgoddess." In there, AnnaS suggested that newbies should not be allowed to call YARTs.

Well, eff that noise.

Eff this whole noise on the board, actualment. It has been pointed out that we would all like each other a lot better without the technological cloak of anonymity. Isn't that enuf said? We can try to keep the nastinesses to a minimum by NOT PUSHING EACH OTHER'S BUTTONS - and by NOT PRESUMING that because anyone has been on the board longer, he or she is entitled to a) speak for others or b) boss others around.

If something insulting is said, it can be retracted gracefully (or gracelessly, I admit I've been there), yes?

But to me, the beginning point of this thread was a rude PM to Keiva. It comes back to this: Yes, it is understandable that someone not want to invite a specific person into his/her home. However, Wordapalooza has been made open to everyone on this board. Keiva is on this board. Therefore, if ASp does not feel comfortable including Keiva in the word-o-rama, perhaps she should consider holding it on neutral territory. Then she can have whomever she is happy to have in her home as a place to doss down - but we can all meet somewhere where we can mingle as freely or constrainedly as we choose.

Bottom line: Wordapalooza SHOULD NOT be an exclusive event.

#64589 04/10/02 05:23 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Supplement to my previous post:

we're looking for nastiness not directed at you.

Question, David: are you implying that nastiness is socially acceptable, if directed at me? If so, I would disagree. One can (and should) confine even the most vigorous and sharp disagreement within civilized standards of discourse. Satin put it well:

"swear words were used by people who were too ignorant of the English Language to make people understand their point of view."
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=39430, near the end of the thread

#64590 04/10/02 05:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just for clarification:

I am sorry to conclude that your attendance would constitute inviting mutual dislike and
distrust into my home, and I cannot inflict such a circumstance on my family or my guests.

Sincerely,

Ann Herzberg

[edit]: tsuwm said, ASp and Ann are not the same person. This was the only point of my post here.

#64591 04/10/02 05:33 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Just for further clarification:

Bottom line: Wordapalooza SHOULD NOT be an exclusive event.

#64592 04/10/02 05:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
implying that nastiness is socially acceptable, if directed at me?

Not at all. We're trying to document the allegation that there is a general tone of nastiness on this board. If it is directed only at you we must seriously consider the proposition that it is deserved. I would ask you to refrain from posting the contents of any private messages to you, since it would not be in any way proof of a general tone of nastiness. I would further ask you not to post any private messages directed to anyone other than you of which you have knowledge since you could know of them only from a party who is not disinterested. It would also not be indicative of public nastiness.

What we're trying to do is establish that there is a general public tone of nastiness. There is also the matter of what has been referred to as Good Natured Banter. One might hope that the intelligent viewer can detect this, but if necessary perhaps the parties involved would be allowed to indicate that that is what it was.

This was composed and posted before the promised edit.

#64593 04/10/02 05:38 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear mg: much as I love and admire you, I have to re-iterate that we cannot expect Sparteye to bring a squabble into her home.

#64594 04/10/02 05:51 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
And sparteye is entitled to her view on that, dr. bill. This board is a public forum, but (as Helen correctly noted) sparteye's home is a private home, and she has a perfect right to close it off to whomever she chooses. (I would certainly not plan to "crash the gates".)

That choice, however, tends to confirm that there are some who wish to make this society clubby and exclusive. It is IMHO equivalent to the nine-year-old who invites to his birthday party everyone in his class at school -- except one.

W'ON, I hope the latter paragraph is responsive to your point.

Edit to dr. bill: Nobody came? The ides have come, dear doctor, but not gone.

#64595 04/10/02 05:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Therefore, if ASp does not feel comfortable including Keiva in the
word-o-rama, perhaps she should consider holding it on neutral territory.

and it should be pointed out (I know it's confusing for newbies) ASp and Ann are not the same person.

()

#64596 04/10/02 05:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: Early policy of AWADtalk was AYLEUR an assertion of diversity, not unity

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith