Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#64577 04/10/02 03:12 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
And the sniping has begun again.

LAY OFF KEIVA, PEOPLE. He is good people.

I quite understand that:

1. Wordapalooza is a privately-arranged event, and
2. It is being held in a private venue, and
3. Probably ALL of us can think of one or more people on the board we would not want as a house guest.

However, I am with of_troy on this one: I think it would be excellent if we could have a meeting in some big happy public place. A park sounds excellent (as long as it's a nice weekend - and in June that's likely, yes?!). That way everyone can be there. It sounds as though attendance is likely to be such that no one need speak to anyone he/she wishes to avoid.

In spite of all that's gone on, I feel certain that I could at least talk civilly with ASp (the poster I would least like within my four walls!). I'm sure she has plenty to offer that I haven't seen....(this is me trying to polish the dull side, since I can't see the bright one!) I've found there are very few people in the world I can't get along with - I could probably count them on the fingers of one hand, out of the hundreds I've met.

It would be nice if something such as Wordapalooza, which has been very publicly advertised here on the board, were not an exclusive event. For some reason, before I started learning more about it, I had thought it would be held at a hotel or some similar public place where we could all meet with impunity. Any chance of making it so? ASp could still have to stay anyone who wanted to bunk in at her place, but we could perhaps meet on neutral ground.

(exit stage left again, still singing "Why can't we be friends....")

#64578 04/10/02 03:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ASp (the poster I would least like within my four walls!)

You can rest assured that she is the person most welcome of any I have ever known to be within my four walls.

"Why can't we be friends...."

An excellent question. A very excellent question. Most of us are.

#64579 04/10/02 03:32 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
To tsuwm and W'On:

Nonsense. You are arguing that one may evade responsibility for his hurtful writings, simply by choosing to put them in one vehicle rather than another.

My position is fully in accord with law: the message is the recipient's to use as he or she wishes. Your view, of course, is of great convenience for those who wish evade responsibility for their nastiness.

May I suggest that your view is self-serving? [Edit: And what has become of your vaunted opposition to censorship?]

Different folks may have differing view, of course, as has been already discussed. But as that discussion made clear, anyone who chooses to write a nasty to me does so fully knowing that it is subject to publication. They cannot complain of consequences of which they were warned.

If you are unwillng to have your hurtful words seen -- if you would be ashamed to have others know you wrote them -- then don't write them.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=55390

#64580 04/10/02 03:46 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Dear Rhub:

1) Another example of evading the question of one's behavior by attacking the questioner. [Edit: If you want to start such a thread you are welcome to, but it might be well to adduce example, rather than simply your conclusions.]

2) You are entitled to your views on publication, but as this board has recognized that other views are legitimate, it is hardly appropriate for you to call them "despicable". Stop ranting.

According to wow: the recipient of a letter owns the letter and may publish it abroad as they like ... but it is not something I would do without permission of the sender. 'Never write anything you don't want to see on the front page of The New York Times.' Later Edit by wow- This is meant as a general statement of *my feelings and no criticism of anyone is implied or should be inferred"

#64581 04/10/02 03:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
write a nasty to me

And what, pray tell, could you have interpreted in that PM as being nasty?

#64582 04/10/02 04:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: It would be nice if something such as Wordapalooza, which has been very publicly advertised here on the board, were not an exclusive event. For some reason, before I started learning more about it, I had thought it would be held at a hotel or some similar public place where we could all meet with impunity

are you offering to plan one? Oh goody! so far i have been to canada's atlantic proviences, and to BC, but never really just headed north, and met BelMarduk, seen Montereal, or even onterio.. I'll come!

i have met with some of the regular posters here.. and every one has been even nice in person than there are here.

when i met Betsy, (AKA as AsP, AnnaStrophic,) the first thing i did was put my foot in my mouth, and say "oh you are so much nicer in person..."-- and truer words were never spoken, she took no offence, and gently helped me remove my foot! it was a pleasure!

#64583 04/10/02 04:55 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
ROTFLMAO, faldage! "an otherwise kind, friendly and accepting group of people" Surely you were ironic (and wittily so), for surely you cannot have you forgotten, for example, the mattters that Jackie brought up in her Personal Plea and Sadness threads. It's well-recognized that there has been nastiness on this board -- heck, no one here is perfect -- and I presume you don't wish me to list further examples.

#64584 04/10/02 05:01 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Helen, I'd bet you are 100% correct when you say, "Every one has been even nicer in person than there are here." I suspect that would be true for each and every one of us, when freed from the relative impersonality of electronic communication.

#64585 04/10/02 05:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
list further examples

Yes, please do, thank you for offering. And point them out perhaps a little more clearly than vaguely referring to threads. Post urls of specific posts and do so in threaded mode so we get the specific post and not a long thread. Keep the urls short by truncating after the first instance of the post number. And remember that word otherwise; we're looking for nastiness not directed at you.

#64586 04/10/02 05:15 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would prefer to remain silent, but perhaps I owe it to Keiva to say a few words. I admire his knowledge and many enjoyable posts. He could not help going ballistic when, though not intended, a joke was made about the Holocaust, which is surely not a joking matter.
He was provoked to attempt singlehandedly. because none of us felt it could be done, to change things on the Board. His motives were pure, but his tactics ill designed. He gave a war, and nobody came.
I can understand Sparteye's concern for her party's being pooped.
But I think we owe Keiva sympathy, not more opprobrium.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith