About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#64283 04/08/02 06:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in many parts of africa, the word Fu-Fu is used for manioc. I don't know if manioc is native to africa, or an imported crop, but like peanuts (imported from americas) it has become a basic staple. (fu fu is a swahili word, so it has some links to arabic)

Fu-fu is the name for the prepared food.. i don't know if the tubers in the ground are called the same thing.. (curiously peanut are called ground nuts.. grind them into a paste, (peanut butter) and they are still ground nuts.)

manioc is a very poor food source. it has very low protein (lower even than rice or potatos, foods we don't even consider good sources of protein!) and it is rather rich in cyanide.. not so rich as apricot kernal pits (bitter almonds) higher than most.

but as AnnaS points out, it is very long keeping, easy to grow, survives drought, etc...

an african friend here, looking for something like it, swore by instant mashed potatoes,(the cheapest brands) made with water, no milk or butter, and an extra dollop of potato starch added, to make the potatoes blander and starchier. the better quality instant potatoes were to smooth, creamy and flavorful!

#64284 04/08/02 06:14 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Cassava
... baked, or fried. It is not recommended to eat cassava uncooked, because of potentially
toxic concentrations of cyanogenic glucosides
that are reduced to ...
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Crops/CropFactSheets/cassava.html
More Results From: www.hort.purdue.edu

Mango

An Important Note: Always rinse mangoes thoroughly before using. They are a
distant relative of poison ivy and the residue of sap from the tree on the skin of
the mango may cause an allergic reaction in some people.

#64285 04/08/02 06:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: Central Asia: Kumiss (Fermented Mare's Milk)

Yogurt--yogurt is fermented milk, right? only from horses instead of cows. i eat cheese made from buffulo, sheep and goats, so why not yogurt from horses milk?
buttermilk is fermented milk too, and why not buttermilk from horses?
signed

your basic omnivore.

#64286 04/08/02 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yogurt is fermented milk, right?

Presentation is everything, helen.

What did you have for breakfast today?

Oh, I had aborted chicken fetusus and slices of a pig's butt.

#64287 04/08/02 06:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you're so right! do you have that with the clotted fat extracted from an animals gland? (e.i., butter) spread on sliced, baked, fermented, procecced grain? (bread)

some folks i know like there grain soaked in lye, then ground and recooked, (grits) served with fat, burnt grain and a water extract of meat (gravy!)

still it sound better than the fluid extract of an animals gland, that is mixed with an extract from the animals stomace, till it clots, most of the fluid drawn off, and the solid bits left to ferment in caves.. better known as cheddar! and don't even start me on mushrooms or blue cheese! many foods are quite unpaletable if you think too hard about what goes into them. many asians think the idea of drinking milk is gross.. and cheese, which is fermented, dried milk? Ugh! personally i love the stuff!

#64288 04/08/02 07:30 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, I had aborted chicken fetusus and slices of a pig's butt.

Dear Faldage: You buy your eggs in the wrong place. Few eggs are actually fertile, and they are "candled" to avoid sending any with embryos to market.And "fetus" refers to later stages when structures can be identified.

#64289 04/08/02 08:50 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Reminds me of the old story of the chicken and the pig, politicians of opposite persuasion who we nonetheless dear friends of long standing, who espied a breakfast eatery as they strolled and conversed one fine morning. "Come, friend," said the chicken, "let us stop in and share a plate of ham and eggs for breakfast." Retorted the pig, orating against his friend's effrontery, "Suh, what you have so casually proposed requires of you a mere contribution, but of me a total commitment!"

#64290 04/08/02 09:06 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Oh, I had aborted chicken fetusus and slices of a pig's butt. -Faldage.

Dear Faldage: You buy your eggs in the wrong place. Few eggs are actually fertile, and they are "candled" to avoid sending any with embryos to market. And "fetus" refers to later stages when structures can be identified. -wwh

Mnnnnm... Oh Bill, darling, I do so love it when you talk dirty to Faldage. I feel so...so...unnecessary.

#64291 04/08/02 09:31 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Milo,

You izz crazy boy.

Dear Bill,

How do you candle an egg?

Best regards,
HumptyDumpty

#64292 04/08/02 09:49 PM
L
L
So this looks like the thread to post this question I've had, so here goes. Most people feel it's wrong to eat other people. But is it by law wrong, are there any religions that specifically say Thou shalt not eat thy neighbor's wife? I've lost the name (It was in my head two seconds ago) the blond that ate those people in chicago. He went to jail because he killed them first right? On the other hand the soccer team from South America ate people who were already dead to survive and that's okay? If I ate Jimmy Hoffa am I going to jail?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith