Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63956 04/05/02 05:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The question is "does oblige share the etymology of obligate/obligation?"

Obligate has two different meanings...the most familiar, to bind legally or morally, or to commit; and the other, (pronunced with the short "a" --git) restricted to one particular mode of life, essential, necessary, an obligate paramecium.

Obligation, of course, comes out of the former, commitment.

From Merriam-Webster's:
Main Entry: oblige
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): obliged; oblig·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French obliger, from Latin obligare, literally, to bind to, from ob- toward + ligare to bind -- more at LIGATURE
Date: 14th century
transitive senses
1 : to constrain by physical, moral, or legal force or by the exigencies of circumstance <obliged to find a job>
2 a : to put in one's debt by a favor or service <we are much obliged for your help> b : to do a favor for <always ready to oblige a friend>
intransitive senses : to do something as or as if a favor

And, if so, how did oblige form off from obligate/obligation?

Or did I just answer my own question?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Some parasites may be able to survive without a host for some time, but many parasites can not, and so are obligate parasites.
As to range of meanings for the oblig- words, if you use "bind, bound" you can easily find many ways to use it. I am bound to bind my laces, lest in mid bound I become shoeless.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
You prove my point dr. bill: I told you earlier today that despite age, you are still a bounder of the first order.

#63959 04/05/02 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Then there's also noblesse oblige: [F, Lit. nobility obligates] the obligation of honorable, generous, and responsible behavior associated with a high rank or birth.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I hope WO'N doesn;t hate me for the diversion, but the word "bounder" interests me. I got the impression from way it was used in English novels that it suggested distaste for naive new students who exhibited too much enthusiasm, and then changed slightly to mean capable of unpleasant behaviour. What's your take on it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Bounder" has always meant a cad, an ill-bred oaf, someone maliciously acting outside the bounds of normal behaviour - or at least in my experience. That's the only way I've ever seen it used. Flashman in Tom Brown's Schooldays is a rather good example of one ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#63962 04/06/02 10:59 AM
M
M
I am bound to bind my shoelaces lest I become shoeless in mid-bound
Wonderful play on words, wwh, and most instructive too. I am bound and determined to match your bounding imagination but I am too hide-bound to escape my creative bindings.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith