Next Thread
Print Thread
#63760 04/04/02 03:53 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I saw a lichen I've never seen before on some lava outcroppings--and wondered whether anyone here could steer me in the right direction to find its name.

It grew skin tight against the basalt;
it was the most incredible deep chartreuse color with a metallic cast--I thought of it as chartreuse gold;
the colony was probably very old in that you would have had to have had a very sharp knife to scrape it from the basalt;
running your fingers across its surface, you would have felt a very tightly compressed, pimpled feeling--almost like sandpaper that's been sanded down past any practical use--fine-grained, used, smoothed-down sandpaper.

But, wow! The color! The way that lichen shone in the sunlight! Chartreuse metallica! Loveliest natural growing (glowing) thing I've seen in a long while.

Was it really lichen? Probably--and probably old colonies of it would be my guess.

Thanks for any input here. I've been online all night trying to find it, but no go yet. I hope it has a beautiful name whenever it pops up.

Best regards,
WildsWanderer

#63761 04/04/02 02:21 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lichens are very complex. There is a symbiosis, but I can't remember the names of the two components. I'll have to try searching.

Here is URL: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fungi/lichens/lichens.html

Lichens are unusual creatures. A lichen is not a single organism the way most other living things are,
but rather it is a combination of two organisms which live together intimately. Most of the lichen is
composed of fungal filaments, but living among the filaments are algal cells, usually from a green alga
or a cyanobacterium.

In many cases the fungus and the alga which together make the lichen may each be found living in
nature without its partner, but many other lichens include a fungus which cannot survive on its own --
it has become dependent on its algal partner for survival. In all cases though, the appearance of the fungus in the lichen is quite
different from its morphology as a separately growing individual.

The true identity of lichens as symbiotic associations of two different organisms was first proposed by Beatrix Potter, who is
best remembered for her children's books about Peter Rabbit. In addition to her books, she spent time studying and drawing
lichens. Her illustrations are still appreciated for their detailed and accurate portrayal of the delicate beauty of these bizarre
organisms.

#63762 04/04/02 05:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Took a lichen to it, didja?

TEd
#63763 04/04/02 10:07 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Took a lichen to it, didja?

Not me TEd, 'twas a bit basalty fer me!

Hev

#63764 04/04/02 10:26 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Igneous and ingenious -- I'm-a lava-n it!

M
M
Lichen are very complex
Is a lichen another name for moss, wwh?

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Moss,

Lichen is a name for the organism that actually is the result of a symbiotic relationship between algae and fungus. Cool, huh? I just learned this in the last 24 hours. Always before I just thought lichen was lichen, as moss is moss, as you should well know! But nope: lichen's fungus and algae--or mebbe I should say fungi and algae!

Best regards,
WildWood Bill, I just had to jump on this one because I was so excited to have learned something new!

old hand
old hand
From 1st year biology class, Sydney Uni, 1977...

Freddie fungus took a lichen to Alice Algae - so they decided to live together in sym-biosis.

I just reports them....

stales

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In a fruitless attempt to try to track down my lichen, I tried Bill's site which would let you enter various distinctive features of the lichen in question--but the choices were mind-boggling and the terminology there unclear.

One of the categories was propogation--something about spores. And this makes me wonder, algae and fungi in mind, how you'd classify one kind of spore when there are actually two organisms forming the lichen. Where's a botanist when you need one?

Best regards,
WordWorrier

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My guess is that at least in many lichens, the fungus can spead by spores to start a new colony, but cannot thrive until airborne algae joins the colony.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith