Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
msa969 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I want to know some words related to the theatre, I have found some in the archive. Can any one offer me other words.

I would like to know the word describing a balcony viewing that protrudes from a wall in some theaters?

Some words from the archive:

Impresario (im-pruh-SAR-ee-o) noun

1. An organizer, promoter, or manager of public entertainments, such as
A ballet, opera, concert, or theater company.

2. Any manager or director.

Buskin (BUS-kin) noun

1. A thick-soled, laced boot, reaching to knee or calf, worn by actors
of ancient Greek and Roman tragedies. Also known as cothurnus.

2. A tragic drama.

Dramaturg (DRAM-uh-turj) noun, also dramaturge or dramaturgist

1. A playwright, especially one affiliated with a specific theater
company.

2. A member of a theater company staff who selects, edits, and adapts
plays for performance, and writes program notes.

Proscenium (pro-SEE-nee-uhm) noun

The part of the stage that is in front of the curtain.

Odeum (oh-DEE-uhm) noun, plural odea

1. A theater or concert hall.

2. A roofed building in ancient Greece and Rome used for theatrical
performances.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Hmmmm. I THINK the word you want is "loge" - from the Canadian Oxford:

loge (n) 1. a seating area in a theatre, usu. eleveated above the orchestra level and on the side. 2. a private box or enclosure in the theatre.

"I think we're in da loges!" (Kiss Me Kate)

welcome to the board - hope you enjoy it! (sure you will! )

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>"loge" - from the Canadian Oxford

Commonly know in the UK at least as a box. One of them is usually set aside as the Royal Box. I always feel sorry for them, they are amongst the worst seats in the house.

#63138 03/31/02 08:54 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>usu. elevated above the orchestra level

In the UK this level is called the orchestra stalls but is generally known as the stalls. In the USA I noticed that this is usually called the orchestra.

In the UK the seating names do vary but in a traditional theatre, if there are several levels, they are commonly called:
Stalls (lowest level), Circle, Dress Circle or Royal Circle (1st level looking down), Upper Circle or Grand Circle (2nd level looking down) and Balcony (right at the top), although there are exceptions.

There are sometimes boxes at the back of the stalls, at the side and further forward than the dress circle, similarly with the grand circle.

The site for London's Globe Theatre has some interesting theatre history. The construction of the the theatre, with space for the groundlings, was quite different to modern theatre. http://www.rdg.ac.uk/globe/

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My dictionary says a loge is;

the forward section of a mezzanine or balcony in a theater, set off by an aisle or railing

I think that seats in the loge are purchased as a block, ordinarily for VIPs/

#63140 04/01/02 04:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another term for the highest level of seating in theatres in NZ is "the gods". I've always rather liked it!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome masa969! Here's a look at the terms used for seating sections from a theatrical site:
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/rialto/past/1999/8_5_99.html

Because auditorium and ticket terminology varies from one theatre to another, it is not surprising that many customers are confused when it comes to ordering tickets. How, then, should the various sections of a theatre be labeled? Some terms are preferred because they may sound more elegant than others: "terrace" instead of "first balcony," "family circle" instead of "second balcony." While the fancy labels may be desirable for some theatres, more accurate terms are probably a better choice in most cases. Almost any box office treasurer will attest that a surprising number of ticket buyers don't even understand the term "orchestra." Suffice it to say that theatregoing should be made as easy as possible. The following are the most commonly used seating terms:

Front Auditorium: Orchestra or Stalls (England)

Middle Auditorium: Mezzanine, Dress Circle, Front Balcony, First Balcony, Boxes, Side Terrace, Side Balcony, Loge, Parterre, Galleries (England), and First Tier

Rear Auditorium: Balcony, Rear Orchestra, Family Circle, Second Balcony, Rear Balcony, The Gods (England), Second Tier, and Second Terrace

In the US there's also a slang term for the furthest, and highest, seats in the back of the theatre or auditorium, notoriously the worst seats in the house: the nosebleeds.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Galleries (England)

Funny, I used to work in a West End Box Office and can't think of anywhere with Galleries, except the Globe.

See this list of theatres: http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/lashmars/price.htm

The Gods is a term used here. You can go to the box office and ask for a seat in the Gods but you would never see it printed as a seating section in a brochure.

I like the sound of "nosebleeds". I used to go to the theatre two or three times a week (London, esp in the Gods always was much, much cheaper than Broadway) and remember some bad experiences with cheap tickets whilst eight months+ pregant - nosebleeds would have been the right name. Mind you, it was running for the bus afterwards that laid me up in the end.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the nosebleeds

I should have mentioned that the term is usually used in this phrase: We were sitting up in the nosebleeds; up in the nosebleeds; or way up in the nosebleeds.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Can any one offer me other words.

If the Juliet is facing the audience:
stage left- to her left
stage right- to her right
center stage- where she is standing in the middle of the stage
upstage- the stage behind her
downstage- the stage in front of her

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith