Next Thread
Print Thread
#62915 03/29/02 05:45 PM
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
So far as the amalgamation of words into english is concerned, I have always wondered whether words which are used only among a particular group of professionals are actually part of the english language ??

To make the question more clear, "Phospholes" are a class of Phosphorus containing compounds. A related set of Arsenic containing compounds is sometimes jocularly referred to as "Ars(e)holes" by chemists. Does that mean that OED or Websters should include such words which are used by English speaking chemists ??? For that matter, words from any profession ??

#62916 03/29/02 06:15 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear indianaugust:Many of the sciences: medicine, biology, chemistry, mathematics, astronomy - each have a vocabulary so extensive each could usefully have its own dictionary. If they were put into the OED it would become uselessly over-crowded.
Only a relatively small number become sufficiently widely used to justify inclusion in OED.

#62917 03/29/02 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is a real, on-going problem for latterday lexicographers -- it is estimated now that around 40% of W3 and college dictionaries is scientific or technical. The growth of our language has been disproportionately in these areas of vocabulary and, perhaps more profoundly, the greater space provided technical terms in our dictionaries mirrors the cultural view that science and technology are of paramount importance.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

#62918 03/29/02 07:36 PM
F
addict
addict
F
To make the question more clear, "Phospholes" are a class of Phosphorus containing compounds. A related set of Arsenic containing compounds is sometimes jocularly referred to as "Ars(e)holes" by chemists.

Great post, and a good question. This really comes down to a conversation the Board has had several times, in differenct ways -- the joys/evils of jargon. To many people, specialized, arcane language seems elitist and closes off discussions to non-initiates, but others realize that there are a great deal of benefits to be gained by developing a sort of linguistic shorthand -- much easier to say "phospholes" than "a class of blah blah blah" every time you want to talk about them. I expect we will never all agree on whether jargons are good or bad, but it seems to me they are very necessary in certain fields.

And regarding your name, I have been to the midwest, and the winds are strong out of the west there, so much so that it feel like the entire state is blowing at you, and I, too, have been known to say, "Indiana, u gust!" Welcome to the Board, August!

#62919 03/30/02 05:12 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> much easier to say "phospholes" than "a class of blah blah blah" every time you want to talk about them.

In one sense, I agree. It is of course more succinct to say 'phospholes', 'compactification', 'tcpip', or 'scsi interface' etc, rather than start at Adam and Eve - and that's fine if you have some idea of the knowledge that the person listen to you, or reading your material has. In the end though, how many people, even those working in the respective fields really know what their talking about, exactly. A great field to just jargonize your way through is philosophy. All you have to do is mention nominalism, instrumentalism and a handful of posteriori truths, and sure enough, most people think you have some idea what your talking about. Dropping a few names of some respected, but a tad obscure composers often has a similar effect when chatting to people about music.
Jargon is dangerous in the hands of a good blagger!

#62920 04/01/02 01:03 PM
old hand
old hand
We were taught the term "foss-holes" on a palaeontology excursion at uni. I don't think it's in wide usage - even among academics, just a Sydney Uni thing.

Foss-holes are the holes one sees when looking at a fossiliferous layer side on - thus indicating where you should split the rock to collect the fossils....

stales

#62921 04/02/02 03:28 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Hmmm, consuelo hasn't been here, I can see...

WELCOME indianaugust!

We have groups of things at my work which we commonly refer to as arseholes ... didn't realise it was jargon though.

Hev

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 756 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith