Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#62505 04/03/02 03:22 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just as Fowler foams at use of "individual" , a case can be made for not using "person" when a more closely descriptive word can be used. "Person" comes from theatrical mask "persona". All the world's a stage, but not all people wear "personas".

#62506 04/03/02 04:13 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I used not to be aware there was a problem here...thought myself comfortable with these words and their forms....oh, happy days.

Bingley and Boronia have summed up "people(s)" in a way that rings bells with me at least. "Person(s)" still bothers me. Gilbert's use of "young persons" rather than "young ladies" or even "young people" may be a fine distinction, but it is one that we recognise and that conveys quite exactly certain information regarding their age and probable lack of discretion. Jeeves would have used the same terminology for the same purpose - to convey a slightly warning note; to imply a measure of unpredictability.

On a different note, a phrase one hears commonly used in police statements is: "...committed by a person or persons unknown", which seems more correct than "...by one or more unknown people" (you can't have "one people" - at least not in this context), but would you say "...by two or more persons unknown" or "...by two or more unknown people", or is either usage equally good? Come to think of it, why don't the police simply say "...by an unknown number of people" and leave it at that?

My head hurts.

#62507 04/03/02 05:26 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
why don't the police simply say "...by an unknown number of people" and leave it at that?

I think there are two unknowns in "person or persons unknown" -- the number of people and, more important, the identity of the perpetrators - having said that, perhaps we could modify your suggestion to "an unknown number of unknown/unidentified people" -- hmm, all of a sudden, "person or persons unknown" almost sounds elegant

#62508 04/03/02 07:48 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Many police blotters refer to "perps".

#62509 04/03/02 09:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>A person or persons entered the building under cover of darkness and made off with an undisclosed amount of money.
Why this stiff phrasing?

I am going to surmise here. Part of it is the pseudointellectual bent, people trying to sound smarter than they are. And cops are pretty well known for doing stuff like this. I saw a police report about an auto accident in which the cop reported that the victim's foot was decapitated.

Anyway, there may be a legal reason for saying person or persons unknown. If I report that a person entered a building and stole something and later I arrest two people, the defense attorney may try to argue that I've charged too many people.

Similarly, if I report that two people pulled off a burglary and later arrest only one, the defense may similarly try to put doubt in the jury's mind.

Again, this is surmise on my part.

TEd

TEd
#62510 04/04/02 06:06 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D

Not in the UK they don't!

#62511 04/04/02 06:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Not in the UK they don't!

There are many police blotters that are not in the UK.

#62512 04/05/02 03:14 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
No, dxb, I think you missed the nice distinction between a [young] lady and a [young] person. Or a gentleman and a person. You must be too young to know about this. It's not a matter of age, discretion or predictability. It's a matter of class (pronounced clahss, in the Pom manner).

In the olden days (up to the 1930s maybe) the term "lady" or "gentleman" had quite a precise meaning, and it had to do with social class. The upper classes were not about to recognize a pleb as an equal, and those who served the upper classes had to be particularly careful not to appear to be recognizing a female person as a lady when she was not. Hence, if the butler needed to inform Madam that someone like Eliza Doolittle desired to speak with her, he might say something like, "Madam, there is a young person who wishes to speak with you." He certainly would not say a young 'lady'. That was what WoDoc was getting across in his Mikado example. These conventions are now as dead as the dodo almost everywhere, although I suppose there may be a few Col. Blimps and their female counterparts still holding the upper class fort in nursing homes in remote parts of Britain.

#62513 04/05/02 12:16 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Well – no, not quite old enough, nearly but not quite – often feel as though I am mind you. But yes, your explanation is so logical that I am convinced it is correct. Something learned today!

Out of date expressions such as "young persons" become more interesting when one learns about the society that found them useful. The arrogance and self concern of that "clahss" of the between-the-wars society is wonderfully displayed in the opening sequences of the film Gosford Park, where the maidservant is kept in the pouring rain by Maggie Smith with no recognition of her as a human being (or "person" even).

No, I don't think we have any Col. Blimps of that pattern left here now - not even in Budleigh Salterton, which was reputed to be their "elephant's graveyard". There is still snobbishness, but now it is connected to what you do for a living, and I think it is international.

#62514 04/05/02 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A line I use once in a while (but VERY carefully, mind you):

So what's a lady like you doing in a nice place like this?

TEd
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith