Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keep on posting, Whit. This is great stuff here! It's the push that's the point, huh? And the giving in?

Like a saint's vision of beatitude. Like the veil of things as they seem drawn back by an unseen hand. For a second you see--and seeing the secret, are the secret. For a second there is meaning! Then the hand let's the veil fall and you are alone, lost in the fog again, and you stumble on toward nowhere, for no good reason!

...yes!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Edmund Tyrone's monologue

I had the good fortune to see the original production of Long Day's Journey into Night with Frederic March, Florence Eldridge, Jason Robards, and Bradford Dillman--without a doubt the most thrilling theatrical experience of my life.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I had the good fortune to see the original production of Long Day's Journey into Night with Frederic March, Florence Eldridge, Jason Robards, and Bradford Dillman--without a doubt the most thrilling theatrical experience of my life.

I'm in awe, slithy toves, of your enormous good fortune of having had that experience. The closest I can come to something like that is having seen Jason Robard's brilliant revivial of The Iceman Cometh on Broadway in 1985. Robards did Hickey. And the play was so mesmerizing the 4 1/2 hrs just zipped right by (with 2 intermissions). Coming in I was a bit skeptical of how tolerable the length might be...no more! And the first act of "Iceman" was hilarious, just like O'Neill envisioned it to be. And which was one of the reasons he cited for the failure of the play in it's initial production...he claimed the director didn't get the humor in the first act. I am in envy of your witness to such theatrical history. I also think Fredric March was one of the most underrated and overlooked actors of the 20th century...just brilliant.

N
addict
addict
N
the story of my association with O'Neill is on the discussion forum there, too!

WO'N: I didn't realize the extent of O'Neill's influence on you - but tell me, when do we get to hear your musical tribute to your mentor? How about sharing the lyrics to your song?

nk

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here's the review of the original New York production of Long Day's Journey Into Night by Brooks Atkinson that appeared in The New York Times, Nov. 11, 1956. The review ends with this compelling statement: "Long Day's Journey Into Night" has been worth waiting for. It restores the drama to literature and the theatre to art.

The review:
http://www.eoneill.com/artifacts/reviews/ldj1_times.htm

And, nancyk, while I hesitate to post the lyrics to my song here for a couple of reasons I will PM you the lyrics in entirety, it is called simply, Eugene.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw Helen Hayes (the only cast member I can recall after all these years) at the Hartke Theatre at Catholic University of Washington DC. I found the performances of the actors entrancing, but the play itself was just so profoundly depressing to me that I have been unable to even read the script, let alone see the play peformed.

TEd
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I remember seeing the film, Desire under the Elms many years ago and being very impressed with it - indeed, I can still remember quite a lot of the detail - but I cannot for the life of me remember who were the actors.
Any ideas?

#61484 03/22/02 03:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rhuby, I empathize; I have these senior moments more and more often. To help you with this particular one, run, don't walk, to http://www.imdb.com/. Or either wait for Juan aka WO'N or paulb to reply, one.

#61485 03/22/02 04:04 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well, senior moments certainly figure in my life these days, but I was never good at remembering actors real names. I commit myself totally to believing in the film or play in front of me at the time, and know the characters by their part-name. This is especially so with theatre, but it happens a lot in films, too.

Even when I worked in the theatre, I tended to think of the actors there in terms of there current stage part! (which used to piss themn off no end! But that's the way I am, folks!)

#61486 03/22/02 05:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Rhuby, I remember thinking it was grossly mis-cast...Sophia Loren (fine actress that she is) as a New England farm wife?...huh? Tony Perkins IMHO just doesn't have the range or depth for O'Neill. Burl Ives was effective as the overbearing father, though. Here's a full synopsis from http://AllMovie.com (a great source for all film inquiries): http://allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 635 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith