Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#61404 03/16/02 05:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I work for a large company in the Midlands. It encompasses a lot of skill sets, and the staff come from all over Britain (and Ireland) and France. I'm constantly blown away by the accents. You are usually constantly changing mental gears in meetings to accommodate the massacre of the language by the current speaker.

However, the worst of the lot are local to Birmingham. The business is based in Dudley, formerly a small town outside Birmingham (no Milum, not that Birmingham) but now part of the conurbation which takes in the whole area including Wolverhampton. Even within that area, the range of accents or brogues is impressive, even if the brogues themselves usually aren't.

A Brummie (person from Birmingham, or Brum) always sounds as if he or she is moaning about something, even when he or she is deliriously happy - or perhaps especially when deliriously happy.

These verbally-challenged clods have the temerity to criticise my accent, of course. So I fight back. Dudley is pronounced by most of the English-speaking world as "Dud"+"lee". But not in Brum. There, it's pronounced "Dould"+"laaay", the "Dould" sounding like "could" or "would". So I started saying "... Dudley, oh, sorry, you won't understand that, Douldlaaay."

I stopped saying it after a while - a joke is a joke after all - but others have taken up the clarion call. I was in a meeting yesterday when one of the analysts on my team, who hails from Essex (yes, there are boys from there as well as girls), said "And on Wednesday we'll be back in Dudley - sorry, Douldlaaay - to help the developers." Everyone from my team creased; everyone else just looked confused. That made my team even more helpless. The analyst who said it was just beside himself when he realised what he'd done. He went bright red and glared at me.

It's probably time for me to move on! My work here is done.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
A
addict
addict
A
Everyone from my team creased...

Interesting story CK, and this is an interesting phrase that I had never heard before. Am I to assume, from context, that creased is like cringe; a furrow of ones brow, drawing your face together and squinting your eyes? I can just picture it!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear CK: "Everyone from my team creased; " Translation, Please?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooh, I can answer that question! My old friend Philip told me that a creaser is something that makes your face creased by a wide smile. (Believe me, I was envisioning something else entirely.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CapK - That's the best *one to date! ROTFLMFAO

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
creased up -- laughing so much you're bent over double with a big crease in your belly.

Bingley

Bingley
L
L
I think I'm going to have to add creased to my vocabulary. I like the sound of it.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Ladymoon, be our guest, but!
Us brits are not shy in adopting argot from all over the world, so we are more than chuffed when others take a liking to ours.

That's a great story, CapK, but my wonder is that the Essex guy was embarrassed by it - on the whole, people from different regions aren't particulary over-sensitive to people taking the gentle mick out of accents - so long as it is done in a friendly fashion. Yorkshire people don't even think you are taking the mick - they just think you are trying to "talk proper" !!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reply to:

taking the mick

?? elaborate, por favor??

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
taking the mick

= teasing

(also rendered expansively as "extracting the michael") hi, tsuwm!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith