Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#61022 03/13/02 10:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In today's local paper a writer I respect used the word williwog in this context:

They [old hotels] were wrapped in ample, elevated, railed porches where guests enjoyed
evening williwogs wafting in from the sea.

I can't find hide nor hair of williwog. I did, however, find williwaw widely documented with the same meaning:

Merriam Websters:

Main Entry: wil.li.waw
Pronunciation: 'wi-li-"wo
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1842
1 a : a sudden violent gust of cold land air common along mountainous
coasts of high latitudes b : a sudden violent wind
2 : a violent commotion

Did he use an incorrect, or another even more obsolete, form of williwaw? Is williwog just another one of those spelling variants as in sockdologer[?] (I have at least three cited spelling variants for this one). Has anyone ever hear of, or used, williwog or williwaw?

And notice williwaw's origin unknown...what is it with these "willie" words?...no trace of origins? Or is williwaw a clue toward our never-found "willies" origin? Makes sense...since a violent breeze is a disturbance.

Or does all this just give you the willies?

#61023 03/13/02 10:47 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WO'N: I have many times seen "williwaw" in stories about Alaska, and suspect it is an Inuit word. T thiink "williwog" is someone's mishearing of "williwaw". Also I have the impression it means of sudden onset, in gusts with rapid changes in direction.

I got a couple hits. One was apparently nickname for some Australian guy, and the other was a pathetic poem about a frog:You have to scroll down a ways:
http://edgarfrog.diaryland.com/011108_59.html

Neither had anything to do with wind.

#61024 03/13/02 11:02 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
And would people really enjoy "violent" gusts of wind??

#61025 03/13/02 11:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
from Dr. Bill's "edgarfrog" link

Edgar Frog: Trying to find a fellow Aussie.

hallie2x: well i am very good with children - i played a big part in raising my baby
sister and i plan to have some someday maybe i can help

Edgar Frog: My tot is 3 years old, and he's always trying to put his williwog in the
sally port.

Nawww!...so this means that williwog is also Aussie slang for "willie"? Stales? Doc C? PaulB?

#61026 03/13/02 11:12 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It doesn't sound likely that a williwog or williwaw would "waft" in from the sea, does it?

But, for sake of argument, if those sitting on the grand old porches did, in fact, enjoy violent gusts of wind, they'd just belong to those spirits who enjoy hurricane watching, tornado tracking, and occasional cop-car following to scenes of crimes.

I knew a terrifically funny guy in Orlando, Florida, who, as a teenager, was on the self-formed "Save Our City Committee." He and his small band of friends would get on some kind of short-wave radio, listen in to what was happening among the police, and would charge out after police cars to see what was brewing in Orlando.

Best williwogs,
WordWilliwaw

#61027 03/13/02 11:23 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WO'N: There are a lot of unusual animals in Oz, but not frogs with phalloi.

#61028 03/14/02 04:17 PM
H
addict
addict
H
not frogs with phalloi

Dr. Bill: If I didn't know that your intentions were generally good, I might take this rather personally, and suggest it belongs in the insult thread.

#61029 03/14/02 05:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course there are!

One afternoon, there was this good witch who was flying along, when all of a sudden, she heard this soft crying from down below. When she landed, she say this yellow toad. Touched by his sadness, the witch asked why he was crying.

"Sniff. None of the other toads will let me join in all their toad games. Boo hoo."

"Don't cry, little one," replied the witch, and with a wave of her magic wand, the toad turned green. All happy now, the frog was checking himself over when he noticed that his penis was still yellow. He asked an embarrassed witch about this, and she told him that there were some things that she just couldn't do, but if he saw the wizard, he'd fix things up for him. So happily, the little green toad hippity-hopped along his merry way.

Feeling quick happy about herself, the witch once more took to the skies, and once again, she heard some crying, but this time of a thunderous sort. So down to the ground she flew only to discover a pink elephant. The witch asked him why he was crying.

"Sniff. None of the other elephants will let me join in all their elephant games. Boo hoo."

Now if you have ever seen an elephant cry, you know it to be a pathetic looking sight, but a PINK elephant crying is just downright heart-breaking, and that is just how the witch felt. So once again, she waved her magic wand, and *POOF*, the elephant was all grey.

All happy now, the elephant was checking himself all over when he noticed that his penis was still pink. He asked an embarrassed witch about this, and she told him that there were some things that she just couldn't do, but if saw the wizard, he would fix things up for him.

At this point, the elephant just started wailing. "I don't know where the wizard is", he sobbed.

"Oh that's easy. Just follow the yellow pricked toad!"

TEd
#61030 03/14/02 05:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ROMFL!! LOL!!! I can't stop!...

One of your best, TEd! Now I want a Custom T-shirt made...the picture of a little green frog with a big yellow weenie saying: AND YOU THOUGHT MY TONGUE WAS LONG! Hey, you know, that just might sell! So....© ®

#61031 03/14/02 05:36 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I made up that plural of phallus, and was waiting for one of our scholars to expose the error. When none did, I decided to do it myself. I get a chuckle out of what I found:

Main Entry: phal·lus
Pronunciation: 'fa-l&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural phal·li /'fa-"lI, -"lE/; or phal·lus·es
Etymology: Latin, from Greek phallos penis, representation of the penis;
probably akin to Latin flare to blow -- more at BLOW
Date: circa 1613
1 : a symbol or representation of the penis

Phallacies can turn out to be amusing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith