Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#60199 03/09/02 09:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Herewith a load of bollocks for your edification:

The number 42

Elvis Presley died at 42.
The angle at which lights reflects off water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
The city of Jerusalem covers an area of 42 square miles.
The Torah (the holy book of Judaism) is broken into columns each of which always has exactly 42 lines.
Fox Mulder (the X-files) lived in apartment number 42.
There are 42 decks on the Enterprise NCC1701-D (The Next Generation ship)
Bill Clinton is the 42nd U.S. President.
A Wonderbra consists of 42 individual parts.
There are 42 Oreo cookies in a 1 pound package.
"The beast was given a mouth uttering proud boasts and blasphemies, and it was given authority to act for 42 months. --Revelation 13:5
In Romeo and Juliet - Juliet sleeps for 42 hours.
The right arm of the Statue of Liberty is 42 feet long.
The number of dots on a pair of dice - 42.
Dogs have a total of 42 teeth over their lifetimes.
The world record jump by a kangaroo is 42 feet.
There were 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus Christ.
The natural vibration frequency of human DNA: 42

Now, the only person you'd think could read anything meaningful into that is the Editor in Chief of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But you'd be wrong!

What I'd like to know is how someone struck DNA with a tuning fork! I asked my dog about the teeth thing, and she laughed at me. Was it stales who measured the kangaroo's jump? Was it a legal jump or did its hind foot cross the base plate? Was the umpire Australian? How long is the left arm of the Statue of Liberty?

Faugh!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#60200 03/09/02 09:18 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I was about 12 years old, sitting in our living room back in Lakeside, Virginia, and I wondered when I would die.

Sitting there, I went mystic: I let the forces of the universe penetrate my brain so that I would know when I would die.

And from the universe came the number : 42

And that is the truth. From the age of 12 till I was 42 I fully expected to die when I was 42.

And I am here to state that, at 52, my mystical connections with the universe are completely unreliable.

Best regards,
WordWrecked

B
old hand
old hand
B
Perhaps the number 42 indicated how many years it would be until you die, Wordwind, which would give you two years. I know, I'm morbid. But it shows how numbers can easily be manipulated to serve a certain purpose.

A German film called "23" talks about the 'Illuminator' and the number 23 as being key to the universe (human chromosones, M. Jordan's team number and so on). In the film, based on a true story by the way , the hero eventually falls into complete paranoia while secretly computer hacking for the Russian government. A classy film which I recommend to most. Another film that deals with this topic is of course, Pi. This film I would not necessarily recommend to the faint-hearted, but is a mature look at the use and significance of mathematics. This time the key is a 232 digit integer which can explain the maddening complexity of Pi found within a fundamental and simple form - the circle. The film is, imho, one of the most outstanding from the last decade. The director's newer work, 'A Requiem for a Dream' delves into the subject of addiction, and shows such superficial bubble-gum drug commentary like 'Traffic' up for what it really is.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yeah, Bell'youth, mebbe in two years...mebbe in 2042!

The manipulation of numbers really is interesting...and people can be so easily brainwashed into believing the supposed significance of numbers.

Are any of the numbers 1 through 9 "bad" numbers? For the numerologists, aren't all these numbers gifted in some way?

42 is 24 backwards...and 24 is 2 times 12... and we have 12 months in a year... and once around the sun is a kind of gratifying completion, optimistically speaking...

42 must be some kind of backwards symbol of a complete cycle..run twice, but backwards. Think about that little morsel of inside-out brain turning for a while if you want to consider Mad Hatter significances...

Best regards,
WordWarped

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I fully expected to die when I was 42.

And I trust you bore it with fortitude.

M
old hand
old hand
M
I was about 12 years old, sitting in our living room back in Lakeside, Virginia, and I wondered when I would die.
Sitting there, I went mystic: I let the forces of the universe penetrate my brain so that I would know when I would die.
And from the universe came the number : 42

Back then, doubleyou, you weren't quite like others,
are you?

[ribbon][trophy][applause]

old hand
old hand
MaxQ: What do you get if multiply six by nine?

Um, I get 54. Why? What do *you* get?

LATER EDIT: Never mind. My goober-in-residence explained to me what I was missing about your clever comment. <Sigh>

A
addict
addict
A
Never mind. My goober-in-residence explained to me what I was missing about your clever comment. <Sigh>

I don't have a goober-in-residence to help me here.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
42? Nuts!

The Sacred 37
Shakespeare wrote 37 plays
Richard Nixon was the 37th president, and his 37th nationally televised speech was his resignation speech
the Korean war lasted 37 months
to calculate the temperature degrees Fahrenheit, count the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds and add 37
the annual rainfall in Lafayette, IN is 37 inches
chimpanzees eat 37 kinds of fruit
human body temperature in Celsius is 37
Hannibal had 37 elephants

37 to the second power equals 1369, which contains two numbers with various kinds of significance
since 37 time 3 equals 111, it is also true that 37 times 6 equals 222, and 37 times 18 equals 666!

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith