Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
addict
addict
R
The serially written story staterd by Jazzo some while ago just has to be a strong contender - trouble is, how and where do we share the prize?

Well, if it's to be an Irish short story it must include a 19th century character called Miles who goes about his business carrying a pig under his arm. We still continue this tradition to this day - except now we call the 'pig' a porkfolio. That's how it got it's name, kids!

Perhaps we can share the pig as a prize???

R
addict
addict
R
What I was trying to say - and failed to achieve - was that I know a lot of Irish jokes, but I wouldn't presume to try to write Irish-style literature!

Well, with Paddy's day fast approaching you may, or may not, be aware that el presidente de los estados unidos (as his sister-in-law calls him), traditionally holds a big shindif in the white house for the Irish political leaders and the Irish-American glitterati.

Past incumbents have looked forward to this as the highlight of the year and revel in their Irishness (or part-Irishness at least). Last year was Dubya's first outing in the Green seat, however, and he was more then a little uncomfortable being in the presence of so many eloquent speakers and so remained quiet throughout.

One of the Dublin politicians approached him during the party and asked him why he wasn't talking to anyone to which he replied - 'because I've been told that I speak the way that your Mr. Joyce writes'.

Classic.

ps I know a lot of Irish jokes, too!! Unfortunately I have to work with them.

R
addict
addict
R
What I was trying to say - and failed to achieve - was that I know a lot of Irish jokes, but I wouldn't presume to try to write Irish-style literature!

Well, now that you mention it here's an Irish-style Irish joke..... [thirty shades of green emoticon]

Paddy and Mick are walking home after a night on the beer.
They've got no money to get a taxi and are staggering all over the place when they find themselves outside the bus depot. Paddy has a brainwave and says to Mick "Get in there and steal a bus so we can drive home and I'll stay out here and look out for the gards".
Mick duly breaks into the garage and is gone for twenty minutes while Paddy is wondering what the hell he's doing. Eventually Paddy sticks his head around the door and sees Mick running from bus to bus and looking very worried.
"What the hell are you doing Mick, get a move on!" to which Mick replies "I can't find a number 7 anywhere Paddy" whereupon Paddy,holding his hands to his head in disbelief, shouts "You fecking eejit Mick, steal a number 9 and we'll get off at the roundabout and walk the rest of the way!"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith