Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand
I find it difficult to feel slighted by the opinions of disembodied cyber-beings
I wholeheartedly agree! I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life.

A
addict
addict
A
I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life.

You mean it hasn't?

#59855 03/08/02 02:10 PM
veteran
veteran

I don't mind it when non-technical people use technical words. Your colleagues are feeling cozy in Edwin Abbot's world when a few round boys pop in to set up camp. They don't understand and so they use a mixture of what they think they know about the new stuff with familiar terms that they almost understand from the old stuff.

But it can sometimes be amusing (after one gets past the annoyance) when someone uses a technical word that they don't understand in a technical context and you're going on in this conversation at considerable length, with no thought that you and the other person are not completely in sync, when you both gradually perceive that your common understanding is separated by a considerable semantic chasm. It's not just tech vs non-tech. It very often happens between two people versed in different areas of science or technology.

There's this really cool thing that I've seen happen at some technical conferences. I suspect if you asked the attendees about it, they would swear it never happens. But I've noticed this curious docimasy that often occurs between two people who are communicating. It's a sort of handshake after the handshake, where they kinda feel each other out and make sure they're speaking the same language. At first, I thought it was like typical net-banter. You know, like when two alpha males get together and argue over who's is bigger, only now they're using net knowledge as a surrogate for their IQs as a surrogate for their johnsons. But that's not it at all. It's a necessary part of the process. They really are just trying to make sure they understand each other BEFORE they start a conversation. What a cool idea. Anyways, I just realized I have digressed.

k

M
old hand
old hand
M
I find it difficult to feel slighted by the opinions of disembodied cyber-beings -boronia

I wholeheartedly agree! I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life. -wsieber

And I, speaking for the disenfranchised disembodied cyber-beings whose numbers are legion, feel slighted by your coarse, insensitive remarks. Sure, it's OK for you to make jokes, walking around in your cute little nicely groomed embodied bodies, driving around in your fancy new cars with several of the sex objects of your choosing sitting around in the back seat giggling.

Let's face it, you give not a twit's damn about the disembodided, who must live and park in the disembodied zone while you reap the rewards of our arduous toils and laugh all the way to the bank of your choosing.

But while I got you on the horn, wsieber, have you ever heard of a german writer named Lothar Machtan? He is at Breman University in Germany and wrote Bismark'Death and Germany Tears. I am reading his latest translation entitled The Hidden Hitler, a well documented research into the homosexual exploits of Der Fuhrer. Does Herr Machtan have credibility among those where you sit?

Thanks, Milum

P
addict
addict
P
Hi Boronia:

I was listening to Stan Freberg's interview with the Abominable Snowman (recorded early '50s?) whilst driving to Brisbane recently and "Yikes" was one of the expressions used in this sketch.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith