About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I found that recently I've adopted a word into my ["] speech [end"] from internet wanderings, and that would be:

Yikes!

This happening to anyone else? And if so, can we get treatment for it?

A
addict
addict
A
Yikes!

Better than the one I got from the internet...

Poot!

And if so, can we get treatment for it?

Awww...poot! I dunno!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yikes entered my life a LONG time ago, well before I knew what the internet was. My brother used to say it (to express shock, dismay, surprise, ...), back in the late seventies. No idea where he got it. When he formed a garage band in high school, he called it The Yikes.

veteran
veteran

My least favorite internet word is Newbie. I think it's because I saw the word used so many times by people I would consider neophytes trying to put down people who are just starting.

I'm not fond of infobahn, but fortunately haven't seen it used in a long time.

Pie-hole is pretty stupid, as in "shut yer ~." It strikes me as equivalent to shaking one's finger in another person's face or that infantile "talk to the hand" fad. (Not sure that the word originated on the net, but that's where I saw it first used.)

Hacker when used as a pejorative or to describe a 12 year old with a new modem and who just learned to download a war script and modify it by changing the comments.

I'm kinda cold on most words prefaced by cyber.

I know it's bland, but I really like some strict computerese - words like C++, unix, and java.

I like the terms snail mail and email.

I like the words netiquette and netizen.

I love FAQ, the word and the idea. I also like a lot of the other abbreviations and hope they can be carried over into conventional writing.

Ping meaning to check with someone is good.

Distance Learning is good, too.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't have any favourite Internet-spawned words. Most of them are derivations created and adopted because of the needs of the new medium, and hey, that's okay. A term, however, that is TV spawned and which I seem to hear all the time here in Blairland, is "A starter for ten". I think I'm going to loathe it very soon ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
N
addict
addict
N
"A starter for ten".

I'll be the first to confess my ignorance - never heard this; what do it mean, please?

#59819 03/05/02 09:55 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Main Entry: yikes
Pronunciation: 'yIks
Function: interjection
Etymology: probably alteration of yoicks
Date: 1957
-- used to express fear or astonishment
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=yikes

I looked it up because I thought that it had been around for a while. I think it was one of those words that used to be popular in comic strips like the Dennis the Menace which I read in the seventies.

Then I found this:

Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your Dennis the Menace was blonde! (actually, I should have said the US DtM)
http://www.kingfeatures.com/pressrm/rel_24_28_2_2001.htm (first appearance March 12th 1951)

Here is the one that I grew up with:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/netnotes/article/0,6729,451808,00.html (first appearance "mid March 1951")

What a terrible shock - do you mean that there is more than one?! Sadly, the US site talks about world wide syndication, so I guess that one is the original. It suddenly makes the thought of alternative life forms elsewhere in the galaxy seem more possible.

Post Edit:

There is a God. I found this explanation:
DENNIS THE MENACE
Original Medium: Comic books
Published by: D.C. Thomson
First Appeared: 1951
Creator: David Law
In one of the oddest coincidences in the history of English-language comics (far surpassing the introduction of two groups of outcast superheroes with wheelchair-bound leaders (Doom Patrol and X-Men) during a three-month period in 1963), two characters named Dennis the Menace started simultaneously on opposite sides of the Atlantic. The American Dennis began syndication on March 12, 1951. The other first appeared in The Beano #452 (March 17, 1951), a very long-running humorous comic book published each week in Great Britain by D.C. Thomson. Because each Beano issue, dated Saturday, went on sale the previous Monday, the two actually debuted on the very same day!

This Dennis the Menace was created by David Law, who went on to draw over a thousand of the feature's weekly episodes — nearly two decades of Dennis — before his death in 1970. Law's work also appeared in The Beezer, The Topper and other Thomson offerings. Two years after introducing Dennis, Law tried to emulate his own success with a feature called "Beryl the Peril", but this one wasn't nearly as long-lived.

Dennis was joined in 1968 by a dog (Abyssinian wire-haired tripe hound, to be exact) named Gnasher, in '79 by a pig named Rasher, and in '98 by a baby sister named Bea. Gnasher, by the way, looks just like Dennis's distinctively-shaped hair, but with eyes, nose and especially teeth (which can bite through granite) added. In 1986, Gnasher disappeared for eight weeks, then came back with seven puppies — Gnatasha, Gnaomi, Gnanette, Gnorma, Gnorah, Gnancy and (Gnasher's favorite) Gnipper (usually referred to as "Gnaughty Gnipper").

The British Dennis is far more of a menace than his American namesake. The latter is just a high-spirited young kid, who frequently finds himself in trouble without ever meaning to be; whereas the former, like The Katzenjammer Kids, generally finds trouble because he goes looking for it. An especially tempting target is his neighbor, Softy Walker, whose demeanor matches those of the dweebs he hangs out with, Bertie Blenkinsop, Nervous Rex (no relation to William Van Horne's Nervous Rex) and Cuthbert Cringeworthy. Despite his obvious status as a creampuff, somehow, Softy manages to come out on top every bit as often as Li'l Bad Wolf, equally unlikely to defeat an aggressive foe, thwarts his dad's evil schemes.

The "Dennis the Menace" series was popular right from the start, and grew more so with time. He starred in annuals as early as 1956. In 1974, he ousted Biffo the Bear from the Beano cover, and has occupied that spot ever since. He has appeared in animated form on BBC since 1996. His fan club now has over 1.5 million members.

This Dennis the Menace may not be as big an international phenomenon as the other Dennis the Menace — but it's pretty clear which one is the bigger star in his country of origin.

http://www.toonopedia.com/dennisb.htm

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your [US] Dennis the Menace was blonde! (first appearance March 12th 1951) Here is the one that I grew up with (first appearance "mid March 1951")

Jo's url shows, on further clicking, that the british "Dennis the Menace was created by D.C. Thomson staff artist David Law (17th March 1951 - issue 452)."

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Re: March dates - see "post edit" in my post above. I appears that because of the difference in the way that the comics were dated, both came out on the same day.

#59822 03/05/02 10:09 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your Dennis the Menace was blonde![E.A.]

Youbetcha! I didn't even recognize your Dennis!

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Good on ya, jo! [high five -e]

#59824 03/05/02 10:16 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Pie-hole is pretty stupid, as in "shut yer ~." It strikes me as equivalent to shaking one's finger in another person's face or that infantile "talk to the hand" fad. (Not sure that the word originated on the net, but that's where I saw it first used.)

Shut yer "cake hole" was pretty popular when I was growing up, mainly amongst pre-teens. I assume that this is a variation.

#59825 03/05/02 10:22 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I like the terms snail mail ...

It is such a perfect term. It implies that it is possible to resort to such a thing but who would want to?

I wonder if snail mail will slowly disappear like telegrams. I remember when the role of the best man was to read out the telegrams from those who could not attend the wedding - these days it is the much more boring job of reading out a selection of cards. Maybe we'll only send important documents, cards (I can't see them ever being replaced by e-greetings but never say never) and goods. I'll check this post out in 2012 (if I can wade through the mass of verbiage, including mine) to see how my prediction works out.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Getting back to the original question (favorite or irritating Net words) - my peeve is the e e cummings style, which I find suggests at best laziness and at worse disrespect, sloppiness, ignorance (I'm sure there is something worse yet, therefore not "at worst"). It's not a word, not even an acronym, but a style. Is anyone else bothered by this practice?

And by the way, did anyone ever illuminate CK's "a starter for ten" question?

#59827 03/06/02 12:03 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I thought this was an old quiz show term, but I don't watch TV so can't place it if it's been newly revived. Was it a show called Jeopardy? Where the value of each question went from 10 up by 10s?

Usually your starter, not a starter, I think.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
A flick through the Jargon File shows quite a few that are amusing, but that I'd seldom use in real life. And I usually can't remember these cute terms anyway. Here are some where the meaning is (I hope) fairly obvious without further explanation:

asbestos longjohns
brochureware
buzzword-compliant
cough and die
drool-proof paper
featurectomy
go-faster stripes
Helen Keller mode

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, the e e cumming style make sence back in the days of dummy terminals, with teletype machines, and haveing to know things like ascii code 16(no, that wrong, what was bell again?) if you wanted to have a "ding" noise.. or even CR (carriage return was a bit of code you had to know, and enter.. shift, and puctuation were just too much!

now days, you can write and edit in a word Processor, and have it auto forward to your email program so it might seem out of place.

but many computer conventions became established eons ago, (in computer years!)

secondly, most early computer nerds were guys, and not secretaries.. they didn't care to much for "pretty" documents, just the guts of the message!

#59830 03/06/02 01:36 PM
R
addict
addict
R
"A starter for ten"

A Brit one this. University Challenge was a very high-brow and fast moving knock-out quiz between British Universities. It was hosted by the very grand and colourfully named Bamber Gascoigne and ran for the majority of the '70s and early '80s. It was revived in the mid-'90s with Jeremy Paxton in the Questioners seat. Sadly I feel he lacks Bamber's charisma.

Each round started with a buzz-in from the two teams of four. The first to answer this starter question correctly got ten points and then got the chance to answer three more for five points each without interruption from the other team, sooooo......

Bamber would get the two teams on their marks by saying: "And your starter for ten"

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I know that acronyms can be helpful, but it seems that more people write "IMHO" than would actually use the phrase "in my humble opinion" (instead, they might just say "I think ..."). When the acronym replaces the sender's own wording/style, I don't like it at all. Maybe it's just me!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reply to:

my peeve is the e e cummings style, which I find suggests at best laziness and at worse disrespect, sloppiness, ignorance

*ahem*, wofa! our tsuwm isn't gonna like that.

now, getting back to the original question: i suspect as usual i misinterpreted it, but i understood ASp to be querying not necessarily what peeves us but rather which specific word(s) have weasled their way from our keyboard to our spoken language (so i'll answer accordingly):

similar to your "yikes", i've found myself lately saying both "drat" and "rats", which i never once uttered til i started using them after nearly every failed online bridge finesse i'll thank you not to comment here, either, sparteye [*cough*]

i find it particularly amusing that when someone IRL says something not-all-that-funny but clearly intended to be, instead of a courtesy laugh my initial unconscious inclination is to say "ell oh ell". and since we're on the subject, i find anything exceeding the most chary sprinklings of "LOL" into internet conversations to be rather tedious, so i've adopted "heh" instead... i hope it catches on =)

veteran
veteran

I agree. But mainly because I don't like that phrase even when it's spelled out. There are two variants.

"In my humble opinion" is usually an introduction to interminable bloviation, embodying the antithesis of humility.

"In my honest opinion" gives pause to the listener or reader. "Have his previously expressed opinions been something less?"

I don't have a problem with people changing their styles, per se. Hopefully we all learn new things. Hopefully we learn some things well enough that we can use them ourselves. But when the content of the message isn't consonant with the tone of the message, then it strikes me as insincere, almost sarcastic.

k

veteran
veteran
I like the Cummings style and use it on occasion. OTOH,
it's a bit like salt. Too much ruins an otherwise fine creation.

k

#59835 03/06/02 10:02 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#59836 03/06/02 10:10 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Ping meaning to check with someone is good
If "Ping" is what you do when you check with someone, what do they do when they check back with you? "Pong"? Or what is the derivation of "Ping"? Ping to you, Fallible.

#59837 03/06/02 10:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The term ping comes from the Unix command to "touch" another computer to see if it's there and available on the network. If my home computer is called Hecate (which it is) and I'm at work and I want to know if my computer is on line, I can type (at the OS prompt): "Ping <address> Hecate". Or "Ping 206.155.20.10", which could be my computer's IP (internet protocol) address. If I get a positive response, I can communicate with Hecate from work.

#59838 03/07/02 02:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The term ping comes from the Unix command to "touch" another computer to see if it's there
Um--I thought it came from submarines?

#59839 03/07/02 03:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As far as I'm concerned, "ping" is what a pot does if it's too hot when it's taken out of the kiln. They ping. The sound of glaze contracting too fast. Not a good thing

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Getting back to the original question (favorite or irritating Net words) - my peeve is the e e cummings style, which I find suggests at best laziness and at worse disrespect, sloppiness, ignorance (I'm sure there is something worse yet, therefore not "at worst"). It's not a word, not even an acronym, but a style. Is anyone else bothered by this practice?

now that you mention it, I abhor it. anyone who consistently makes a practice of this style should be hung by his thumbs from the mizzenmast of a burning ship. (the mainmast would show him too much respect.)

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

#59841 03/07/02 06:15 AM
old hand
old hand
"ping" is what a pot does .. this brings back memories to me from the time when I had a wheel and a kiln in the basement at home. Some pots said "ping" repeatedly even weeks after being taken out.

#59842 03/07/02 01:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hm. I always thought Ping was a little duck who lived on a houseboat in China.

#59843 03/07/02 01:58 PM
veteran
veteran

I had always assumed the two were related, so I just did a quick search:

http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html

So the ping command seems to be related to the ping of a submarine radar. In each case, one is transmitting a signal (radar wave or ethernet packet) and waiting for a return (the ping).

I wrote a specialized ping program once (for multicast). They're trivial, of course, but useful for tracking down network problems.

In conversation, I've heard numerous non-tech types say, "I'll ping so-and-so about x" or simply "I'll ping so-and-so." The meaning varies on the context. Sometimes, it means, I'll ask X what he thinks. Others, it just means, I'll say hello.

k

veteran
veteran

Odd. In the newsgroups I frequent, it is often used after a statement, rather than before it. The context in which read, and use, it most often is in discussing the merits of a particular piece of software, appending, or prefixing, IM(H)O to stress that the statement is subjective, not necesssarily objective. It is a useful tool for preventing flame wars from those who disagree with the HO expressed.

I've seen it in newsgroups a lot, but moreso on chats.
And I'm not annoyed at all by "IMO," but only IMHO. It's not something that gets me angry or disgusts me or makes me grit my teeth. It's just something I find mildly annoying, nothing more. Each of us has our peeves and this is one of mine. There are phrases that really do come close to irritating me such as "Take my word for it" or "You don't want to know" or any of various other presumptuous phrases.

But back to IMHO, I've seen it used in the way you've described. And I've seen it used in other ways. Often, it's kinda like emoticons (which I never use, but which generally don't irritate me). Some people think they can say whatever obnoxious thing they want so long as they put a smiley after it. Another example is when people preface a statement with, "No offense, but <insert really obnoxious personal comment here>," or the one I hear from the occasional neighbor, "I don't mean to intrude, but ..."

I'm not opposed to people using language that ameliorates the potential for slight, or acknowledges the awareness one has for one's own fallibility. I think these are great things to do when they are sincere, as they often are.

Ideally, one would never feel compelled to do this. Each of us would practice comity and would assume that others did as well. But I understand in a world where people often speak in extremes, are eager to give offense and eager to take it, that a disclaimer could seem almost compulsory.

k

#59845 03/07/02 02:35 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>anyone who consistently makes a practice of this style should be hung by his thumbs from the mizzenmast of a burning ship

Are you suggesting team games for Wordapalooza?

#59846 03/07/02 07:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
people seem very ready to imagine slights
Max, this not being a utopian world, I very much doubt that all slights are imagined.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I find it difficult to feel slighted by the opinions of disembodied cyber-beings whom I don't even know (yet) -- maybe my susceptibility to slights will increase as I increase my involvement on the Board - ah, the price we pay for community?!

#59849 03/07/02 08:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You post In conversation, I've heard numerous non-tech types say, "I'll ping so-and-so about x" or simply "I'll ping so-and-so." The meaning varies on the context. Sometimes, it means, I'll ask X what he thinks. Others, it just means, I'll say hello.

reminded me of one of my least favorite words.. LAN..
around here, people "LAN" messeges, files attachments..

of course they do no such thing, what they really do is send email messages with messages, file attachments, links, etc.

coming from their mouths, the message "the LAN is down" can mean,
I can't get my computer to turn on
I can't log in
Lotus Notes (our email server) is down
i can't print
or another assorted problems.

when we rolled out Notes, one hard concept to teach was that users would need a new password for Notes. and when we force a Netware Log in Password change, lots of people had trouble opening Notes.. "I don't understand, my LAN password changed, and i wanted to LAN a message, so i put my LAN password into Notes to LAN a message..only it didn't work! the LAN must be down.. i can't get into my LAN messages!

you can see how you could substitute F***ing for LAN in about 50% of the places and the information you received from the user would make about as much sense!

#59850 03/07/02 08:48 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#59851 03/07/02 08:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, she who lunched 1,000 servers, avered that Lotus Notes (our email server) is down.

I do like tautologies, and this is one of the most obvious ... !

#59852 03/07/02 10:26 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
CK, did you mean to say "lunched"? [I'll bet you did, you wag you! -e]

old hand
old hand
I find it difficult to feel slighted by the opinions of disembodied cyber-beings
I wholeheartedly agree! I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life.

A
addict
addict
A
I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life.

You mean it hasn't?

#59855 03/08/02 02:10 PM
veteran
veteran

I don't mind it when non-technical people use technical words. Your colleagues are feeling cozy in Edwin Abbot's world when a few round boys pop in to set up camp. They don't understand and so they use a mixture of what they think they know about the new stuff with familiar terms that they almost understand from the old stuff.

But it can sometimes be amusing (after one gets past the annoyance) when someone uses a technical word that they don't understand in a technical context and you're going on in this conversation at considerable length, with no thought that you and the other person are not completely in sync, when you both gradually perceive that your common understanding is separated by a considerable semantic chasm. It's not just tech vs non-tech. It very often happens between two people versed in different areas of science or technology.

There's this really cool thing that I've seen happen at some technical conferences. I suspect if you asked the attendees about it, they would swear it never happens. But I've noticed this curious docimasy that often occurs between two people who are communicating. It's a sort of handshake after the handshake, where they kinda feel each other out and make sure they're speaking the same language. At first, I thought it was like typical net-banter. You know, like when two alpha males get together and argue over who's is bigger, only now they're using net knowledge as a surrogate for their IQs as a surrogate for their johnsons. But that's not it at all. It's a necessary part of the process. They really are just trying to make sure they understand each other BEFORE they start a conversation. What a cool idea. Anyways, I just realized I have digressed.

k

M
old hand
old hand
M
I find it difficult to feel slighted by the opinions of disembodied cyber-beings -boronia

I wholeheartedly agree! I think all participants should do a periodical reality check if the net-world threatens to infiltrate their everyday life. -wsieber

And I, speaking for the disenfranchised disembodied cyber-beings whose numbers are legion, feel slighted by your coarse, insensitive remarks. Sure, it's OK for you to make jokes, walking around in your cute little nicely groomed embodied bodies, driving around in your fancy new cars with several of the sex objects of your choosing sitting around in the back seat giggling.

Let's face it, you give not a twit's damn about the disembodided, who must live and park in the disembodied zone while you reap the rewards of our arduous toils and laugh all the way to the bank of your choosing.

But while I got you on the horn, wsieber, have you ever heard of a german writer named Lothar Machtan? He is at Breman University in Germany and wrote Bismark'Death and Germany Tears. I am reading his latest translation entitled The Hidden Hitler, a well documented research into the homosexual exploits of Der Fuhrer. Does Herr Machtan have credibility among those where you sit?

Thanks, Milum

P
addict
addict
P
Hi Boronia:

I was listening to Stan Freberg's interview with the Abominable Snowman (recorded early '50s?) whilst driving to Brisbane recently and "Yikes" was one of the expressions used in this sketch.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith