About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I found that recently I've adopted a word into my ["] speech [end"] from internet wanderings, and that would be:

Yikes!

This happening to anyone else? And if so, can we get treatment for it?

A
addict
addict
A
Yikes!

Better than the one I got from the internet...

Poot!

And if so, can we get treatment for it?

Awww...poot! I dunno!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yikes entered my life a LONG time ago, well before I knew what the internet was. My brother used to say it (to express shock, dismay, surprise, ...), back in the late seventies. No idea where he got it. When he formed a garage band in high school, he called it The Yikes.

veteran
veteran

My least favorite internet word is Newbie. I think it's because I saw the word used so many times by people I would consider neophytes trying to put down people who are just starting.

I'm not fond of infobahn, but fortunately haven't seen it used in a long time.

Pie-hole is pretty stupid, as in "shut yer ~." It strikes me as equivalent to shaking one's finger in another person's face or that infantile "talk to the hand" fad. (Not sure that the word originated on the net, but that's where I saw it first used.)

Hacker when used as a pejorative or to describe a 12 year old with a new modem and who just learned to download a war script and modify it by changing the comments.

I'm kinda cold on most words prefaced by cyber.

I know it's bland, but I really like some strict computerese - words like C++, unix, and java.

I like the terms snail mail and email.

I like the words netiquette and netizen.

I love FAQ, the word and the idea. I also like a lot of the other abbreviations and hope they can be carried over into conventional writing.

Ping meaning to check with someone is good.

Distance Learning is good, too.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't have any favourite Internet-spawned words. Most of them are derivations created and adopted because of the needs of the new medium, and hey, that's okay. A term, however, that is TV spawned and which I seem to hear all the time here in Blairland, is "A starter for ten". I think I'm going to loathe it very soon ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
N
addict
addict
N
"A starter for ten".

I'll be the first to confess my ignorance - never heard this; what do it mean, please?

#59819 03/05/02 09:55 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Main Entry: yikes
Pronunciation: 'yIks
Function: interjection
Etymology: probably alteration of yoicks
Date: 1957
-- used to express fear or astonishment
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=yikes

I looked it up because I thought that it had been around for a while. I think it was one of those words that used to be popular in comic strips like the Dennis the Menace which I read in the seventies.

Then I found this:

Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your Dennis the Menace was blonde! (actually, I should have said the US DtM)
http://www.kingfeatures.com/pressrm/rel_24_28_2_2001.htm (first appearance March 12th 1951)

Here is the one that I grew up with:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/netnotes/article/0,6729,451808,00.html (first appearance "mid March 1951")

What a terrible shock - do you mean that there is more than one?! Sadly, the US site talks about world wide syndication, so I guess that one is the original. It suddenly makes the thought of alternative life forms elsewhere in the galaxy seem more possible.

Post Edit:

There is a God. I found this explanation:
DENNIS THE MENACE
Original Medium: Comic books
Published by: D.C. Thomson
First Appeared: 1951
Creator: David Law
In one of the oddest coincidences in the history of English-language comics (far surpassing the introduction of two groups of outcast superheroes with wheelchair-bound leaders (Doom Patrol and X-Men) during a three-month period in 1963), two characters named Dennis the Menace started simultaneously on opposite sides of the Atlantic. The American Dennis began syndication on March 12, 1951. The other first appeared in The Beano #452 (March 17, 1951), a very long-running humorous comic book published each week in Great Britain by D.C. Thomson. Because each Beano issue, dated Saturday, went on sale the previous Monday, the two actually debuted on the very same day!

This Dennis the Menace was created by David Law, who went on to draw over a thousand of the feature's weekly episodes — nearly two decades of Dennis — before his death in 1970. Law's work also appeared in The Beezer, The Topper and other Thomson offerings. Two years after introducing Dennis, Law tried to emulate his own success with a feature called "Beryl the Peril", but this one wasn't nearly as long-lived.

Dennis was joined in 1968 by a dog (Abyssinian wire-haired tripe hound, to be exact) named Gnasher, in '79 by a pig named Rasher, and in '98 by a baby sister named Bea. Gnasher, by the way, looks just like Dennis's distinctively-shaped hair, but with eyes, nose and especially teeth (which can bite through granite) added. In 1986, Gnasher disappeared for eight weeks, then came back with seven puppies — Gnatasha, Gnaomi, Gnanette, Gnorma, Gnorah, Gnancy and (Gnasher's favorite) Gnipper (usually referred to as "Gnaughty Gnipper").

The British Dennis is far more of a menace than his American namesake. The latter is just a high-spirited young kid, who frequently finds himself in trouble without ever meaning to be; whereas the former, like The Katzenjammer Kids, generally finds trouble because he goes looking for it. An especially tempting target is his neighbor, Softy Walker, whose demeanor matches those of the dweebs he hangs out with, Bertie Blenkinsop, Nervous Rex (no relation to William Van Horne's Nervous Rex) and Cuthbert Cringeworthy. Despite his obvious status as a creampuff, somehow, Softy manages to come out on top every bit as often as Li'l Bad Wolf, equally unlikely to defeat an aggressive foe, thwarts his dad's evil schemes.

The "Dennis the Menace" series was popular right from the start, and grew more so with time. He starred in annuals as early as 1956. In 1974, he ousted Biffo the Bear from the Beano cover, and has occupied that spot ever since. He has appeared in animated form on BBC since 1996. His fan club now has over 1.5 million members.

This Dennis the Menace may not be as big an international phenomenon as the other Dennis the Menace — but it's pretty clear which one is the bigger star in his country of origin.

http://www.toonopedia.com/dennisb.htm

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your [US] Dennis the Menace was blonde! (first appearance March 12th 1951) Here is the one that I grew up with (first appearance "mid March 1951")

Jo's url shows, on further clicking, that the british "Dennis the Menace was created by D.C. Thomson staff artist David Law (17th March 1951 - issue 452)."

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Re: March dates - see "post edit" in my post above. I appears that because of the difference in the way that the comics were dated, both came out on the same day.

#59822 03/05/02 10:09 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Yikes - this is scary - it looks like your Dennis the Menace was blonde![E.A.]

Youbetcha! I didn't even recognize your Dennis!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith