Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure what you mean by "context". Most explanations have nothing to do with exculpation.

Well, I don't think I can make my explanation any clearer, Bill. All excuses are nothing but explanation, but not all explanations are excuses. It's the explanation's validity as an excuse which is up for question. That question can only be answered by context. If it weren't then all explanations of one's actions would be, by definition, excuses, and that's a nonsense!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Yes, context is important - and so far as excuses v. explanations are concerned, it is, surely, the context of relationship?

An explanation is given to someone with whom you are co-operating (in one sense or another) in order that they may understand why a certain event has taken place (or failed to!) and be able to participate fully in whatever action or inaction is then appropriate.

An excuse is offered to someone who has power to "punish" you, in order to get yourself off the hook!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cap K sez: All excuses are nothing but explanation, but not all explanations are excuses.

Rhuby sez: An excuse is offered to someone who has power to "punish" you

Gotta more or less go along here. An excuse is an explanation of a screw up. Usually it is an attempt to deflect the blame.

old hand
old hand
"Qui s'excuse, s'accuse" - to accept an explanation, you have to believe in causality, and to reject an excuse, you have to believe in free will.
And: why are so few explanations profferred for lucky outcomes?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
RousP may be on to something with mitigating factors as the operative part of explanation.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
And: why are so few explanations profferred for lucky outcomes?

Because, if I tell you how I managed to perform such a wonderful deed, you may well be able to do it as well or better than I, and maybe cheaper (no R&D costs!) so I may be out of a job!

#59381 03/04/02 04:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The difference that is most focused upon 'round these parts is "reason -vs- excuse". People know the difference, but they are often used interchangeably:

A manager asked a supervisor "How come this job wasn't supervised". The supervisor said "Because I wasn't here that day". The manager said "Don't give me an excuse!". The supervisor said "I didn't! I gave you a reason".

#59382 03/05/02 05:40 AM
old hand
old hand
The difference that is most focused upon 'round these parts is "reason -vs- excuse".
Sorry to disagree: A reason - even if given after the fact - differs from an explanation in that the latter disowns intent and responsibility for the causal chain involved.

#59383 03/05/02 10:45 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Sorry to disagree: A reason - even if given after the fact - differs from an explanation in that the latter disowns intent and responsibility for the causal chain involved.

An explanation does not have to disown intent or responsibility.

"Why were you late getting home?"
"Well, I thought I could stop at the mall to pick up something, but it took longer than I thought."

In this example, responsibility is being accepted but the rationale for the decision is being given. Excuse is the word I would use to descibe an attempt to weasel out of something.

#59384 03/05/02 12:32 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
An explanation does not have to disown intent or responsibility. ... Excuse is the word I would use to descibe an attempt to weasel out of something.

Yes ... but in certain marital situations no comment made can be an explanation, only an excuse.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith