Next Thread
Print Thread
#59269 03/02/02 03:30 AM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Every so often I wind up in a conversation in which someone says to me, "I hope you won't be offended...." Since it takes a very great deal to offend me (or at least it used to - think I am gradually becoming less tolerant, as I see more and more just plain bad behaviour around! - inconsideration, downright rudeness, thoughtlessness, arrogance etc)....I started telling people, "Don't worry, I'm very inoffensible."

I haven't seen this in the dictionary and haven't heard anyone else use it. Has it cropped up spontaneously elsewhere or do I get to claim it?!

and if I get to claim it, who wants to help me GET it in the dictionary?!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
two things, mg..

1. although it is very rare (some bloke named Cotgrave stuck in- on the slightly less rare offensible in 1611), it has been recorded in OED2

2. who wants to help me GET it in the dictionary... no, I won't even pontificate on this, because it would be a self-yart: http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=599

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But you could publish your own one-word dictionary, of course!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But you could publish your own one-word dictionary

Which would have the considerable advantage of allowing one to find the entry even when one cannot spell it.

#59273 03/02/02 05:28 PM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Whoops, I was assuming everyone would know what I meant - one danger of tapping out posts late at night when parts of brain have gone to sleep....

When I said, "Who wants to help GET it in the dictionary?!" I meant, will people who subscribe to AWAD or visit the board start using "my" word (I'm really bummed that it's been used before, I thought I'd had an original thought - is there such a thing anymore?!) - hence the usage would increase, and maybe eventually it WOULD creep into popular usage, and might eventually get into a dictionary.

I read the link about how long it took that poor journo to get "hizzoner" into MW. Wow. I have to confess, about that particular word, I thought, "Who the hell cares?!" - but that's because, despite all the citations he mentions having dredged up, I've NEVER come across that word - and I'm pretty well-read and well-, um, watched (movies etc).

But "inoffensible" - now there's a word we could USE! :o)

Although come to think of it, remembering my original post, maybe there would be less and less call for it.... :o(

But I do like the thought of a one-word dictionary and how easy it would be to look up the word....!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For publishing your own dictionary, see milum.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith