About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#58962 03/06/02 12:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rubrick post with the link to Panda shows a large yellow dumpster (once in a life time,clean out the house/renovation dumpster,) and in the bottom photo, a smaller yellow dumpster, and behind it, on a lift a dempsey dumpster style dumpster. about 1/8 the size of once in a life time skip.

Some dumpsters have pole at either side, and are mechanical lifed, like Jo picture. some are front loaders.. (these trucks are cheaper to operate. the driver drive up to the dumpster, a lift arm grab the dumpster, lifts it up, and it empties it out in to the top of the truck. in some places these are one man crews.. in other place 2 man crew. the kind Jo pictured are 3 man crews.. a driver and 2 guys loading the dumpsters.

NY has DEP (dept of environmental protection--aka san men.. aka garbage men)san man is from the old dept of sanatation. they only pick up household trash. commercial trash, is still very much "organized" . the trash, (as is well known) goes to New Jersey-- the garden state! the meadowland sports center (a collection of arenas, one for horses, one for football, one for hockey) are all build on "land fill" (aka NY garbage, and aka-Jimmy Hoffa's graveyard.) NY used to build mountains out of trash.. (it a problem.. Statan island has the highest point of land in NY, actually the two highest points.. one natual, and one man made..) Now we ship it to NJ, to be carted off somewhere, (shades of Bleak House, there are fortunes to be found in dust heaps!)about 60% of the former WTC passed thru NJ. I don't know how much stayed there.
NY Flushing meadow (home to 2 worlds fairs) is where NYC dumped ashes for 100 years...it was a swamp. now its a giant ash field. with 0.5 inch of soil and grass.. and called a park.
we too, recycle. 3 seperate collections, an extra in the fall for leaves.

#58963 03/06/02 03:57 PM
R
R
I often drive past a large poster advertisement for an Edinburgh "heavy drinking - late night establishment". It says in large letters "big jugs, well hung". I can only assume that it relates to the way that the pitchers (to USn's) are arranged over the bar.

Well, I suspect that it depends on whether your definition of 'jugs' is kept in the cupboard or the gutter. Likewise as to whether it is a 'who' or a 'what' that is well hung....

#58964 03/07/02 01:33 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Well done rkay, I'm glad someone is awake. I'll leave the full interpretation to the imagination - we don't want to upset Ron Obvious do we?

#58965 03/07/02 01:51 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
You are all just wonderful! Thank you for all the great links.
I think your decorated Wheelie Bins are a hoot! Ours tend to be very plain ( read boring) colors, black, brown and -for the adventurous- blue! I'd love to have one of yours as the only place I have for my trash barrell is near my main door! (What was the architect thinking?)
It appears that skips and Pandas are similar to Dempsey Dumpsters ... here it is a proprietary name as the inventor was a man named Dempsey.
Again, many thanks and big hugs all around. Aloha!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith