Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Now I am confused ... I take it that Herbie Kerbies and Wheelie Bins are modestly sized outdoor rubbish/trash holders, generally of moulded plastic with wheels, to facilitate their being easily moved to the curbside for collection.
My confusion arises with the emptying bit ... there are trucks that lift the entire container and tip it into a truck? Is that right?
Around here the men lift the barrell (wheeled or un) and the rubbish/trash/garbage goes into the truck's maw and gets semi-compacted. The men then toss the can back to the roadside. Many folks have a big plastic bag, filled with smaller plastic, garbage-filled bags,inside the cans for sanitary reasons.
Sometimes if it is windy the empty cans end up blowing around on the roads which makes an interesting challenge.
Now, I presume the Herbies and Wheelies are nothing to do with Dempsey Dumpsters ... those huge, big, enormous metal bins found mostly behind apartment houses or on construction sites?
Tried to find a pic of Dempsey Dumpster but Google had lots of entries but no picture.
I am sinking ... sinking ....sinking .....help!

#58953 03/05/02 01:35 PM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Tried to find a pic of Dempsey Dumpster but Google had lots of entries but no picture.

Never heard of a DD but maybe it's what we call a skip. Plenty of websites in IRL about them. Is this wahat you're looking for?

http://www.pandawaste.ie/skips.htm

#58954 03/05/02 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While searching for a picture of an industrial trash bin and compacter I found this:

A home trashcan with Artifical Intelligence...it knows when to open for you! What next?

http://www.itouchless.com/share/cgi-bin/site.cgi?site_id=itouchless&page_id=trashcan

#58955 03/05/02 03:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a good pivture of a compacter, which we've always used for disposal at supermarkets, department stores, etc. Usually there's a chute which opens into the back of the store for easy dumping. Sometimes you still have to take the trash outside and dump it into the compacter by hand.
The large trash bin looks something like this, except it usually has two doors on top that open at an angle, horizontally, by hand. When I find a good picture I'll add it here.

http://www.pandawaste.ie/compact.htm

#58956 03/05/02 04:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, a dumster can be a skip-- but we use dumpster for a large bin used for commercial trash (weekly basis) and also for the super large, house renovation bin, (once or twice in a lifetime) size.

the weekly ones are dempsey dumpsters, and they sometimes have pipes that are used stuck into side, and the pipes go into groves on the truck and the truck has a mechanism for lifting and empting..

there are at least 5 styles of dumpster trucks that i know of.. and i don't make a study of it. (except when stuck in a traffic jam, behind a garbage truck making a collection!)

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I take it that Wheelie Bins are modestly sized outdoor rubbish/trash holders, generally of moulded plastic with wheels, to facilitate their being easily moved to the curbside for collection. My confusion arises with the emptying bit ... there are trucks that lift the entire container and tip it into a truck? Is that right?

Dead right. I don't know anything about Herbie Kerbies (I think we just call the big industrial sized ones, skips, as Rubrick says) but the whole point about wheelie bins is that is saves a fortune in litigation. There are many less back strains and cuts as the machine does all the work. All the worker has to do it wheel the bin over to the lorry as in the picture below.
http://www.sutton.gov.uk/el/environ/recycle/wheelie/wbreason.htm

Now for the sad (in the Uk sense of the word) bit:

Just look here and you will see why:
http://www.wheelie-bin-covers.co.uk/wheeliebincovera.html. No, I do not want one as a Christmas present!

#58958 03/05/02 09:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Soemone needs to paint teeth and lips on that thing! Can you imagine having one of those around with a three-year old? The garbage monster's gonna get me!!!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The covers are so bad they are wonderful!!!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now for the sad (in the Uk sense of the word) bit:

Yeah, there's a real sad bastard up the road who has one of the wheelie bins on that link. I've never seen anyone put it out or bring it in. I suspect the man of the house does it after dark, for obvious reasons!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>The covers are so bad they are wonderful!!!

Yes, I rarely admit to the levels to which British culture can sink but I assure you that depths have been plumbed!!!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith