Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Is there a word for 'rendered useless'?
I'm looking for something a la 'ineffectualise' or 'futilised'.
(please excuse the ugly neologisms)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how about obsolesced?

depending on the context, superannuated might apply (or even outmoded/outdated).

then there's always 'inusitated', but that one might get you some funny looks.

or in a different sense you might use obviated.

veteran
veteran

Well, "obviate" is one of my favorite words and it's kinda close. Are you talking about rendering an action useless or an object?

k

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
inactivated, impaired,crippled,damaged,destroyed.

The way I felt when I retired.

B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> obsolesced
That's pretty good - but it does refer more 'the process of becoming obsolete' and obsolete does of course mean 'no longer in use', rather than 'useless' if memory serves.
Nevertheless very interesting, especially considering there's the transitive verb 'obsoleted' as well! Puh!

R
R
How about "elected"? (At least it fits with our MP's)

B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> Are you talking about rendering an action useless or an object?

I guess I should clarify; It refers to how man renders God effectual by casting him/her/the concept in stone, and then forgetting about one's supposed religion while one goes into bloody battle. It is in regard to a poem where God is wrought 'stone-deaf and stone-blind'.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah, when i looked it up before posting i was a tad surprised to find that 'obsolete' is a word; i've always heard it as 'obsolesced'.

a related question that's always bothered me (could be a YART, i didn't LIU): whence "86'd"? i first came across the term when i was waitressing; the manager would scribble on a board that a particular dish had been 86'd when they ran out of it. i suppose that would've been right around 1987, so it made perfect sense... but i still hear it. why'd that year stick??

B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I've just been looking at 'obviate' - it's quite suitable really. I even found a quote regarding religion:

Not to stir a step to obviate any of a different religion. --Fuller.
(Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ©1998)

Nice one, Fallible F(r)iend

M
old hand
old hand
M

inactivated, impaired,crippled,damaged,destroyed.
The way I felt when I retired.

Retired from what, wwh, you seem to give a great deal of your accumulated knowledge to we the fortunate of this board. Thanks.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maybe a phrase "A God in stone denied"

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
sidelined

the Duncster

the Duncster
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"marginalized"? "neutered"?

Isn't there a term, on the tip of my tongue, for modifying a rifle or pistol so that it cannot fire?

old hand
old hand
emasculated?

stales

old hand
old hand
maybe invalidate?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Knackered, stuffed, screwed, junked, kaputted ... ? Maybe not in relation to any god, of course. But there seem to be a lot more slang terms for the phenomenon than there are more formal ones.

In terms of your poem, would "ignored" be a better choice?

I've always been vaguely amused by pre-battle scenes of chaplains, who presumably subscribe to the "Thou shalt not kill" commandment, blessing those who are about to do just that in spades. Equally, they always ascribe their god's blessing to the current cause - on both sides of the battle lines at the same time.

Likes a bob each way, hmmm.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> there seem to be a lot more slang terms for the phenomenon than there are more formal ones.

You're right there Cap. I don't think 'ignored' fits too well though, because if you do battle with other men with little understanding of why, which was largely the case in WW1, with only audaciousness as your guide, then you abandon the Christian ideology. You are not just 'ignoring God', you're undermining your whole concept of that which he should represent to you. At the most important of times humanity sees it fit to let dogma and religion 'slip onto the backburner' (i.e. ignore), so to speak, only to use it when they see fit. I think the point being made though is that things don't work like that. The Bible obviously has some passages pertaining to this fickle tendency of purported 'believers' (e.g. the betrayal).

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions AWADers

veteran
veteran
Or maybe "neutralized."

k

#58842 02/27/02 02:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
whence "86'd"? i first came across the term when i was waitressing; the manager would scribble on a board that a particular dish had been 86'd when they ran out of it. i suppose that would've been right around 1987, so it made perfect sense... but i still hear it. why'd that year stick??

The term came into use as one of an entire code which arose in US soda fountains and lunch counters in the 1920s. Orders were taken without checks and yelled to the cook, and the code developed to speed messages to the cooks while obscuring meanings from the customers.

Numbers were used frequently. Some were:

19 Banana split
33 Cherry cola
51 Hot chocolate
55 Root beer
80, 81 .... Glass of water

For the most common drinks, like water and milk, the first digit signified the beverage and the second the number of glasses, so that "84" meant "four glasses of water."

Some numbers signified things other than food orders:

13 The boss is here; don't mess around
95 A customer is leaving without paying
99 The boss wants to see you

86, perhaps chosen because the 6 rhymes with "nix," meant "no." Usually, the cook would call it out to tell the servers that they were out of a given item, but it was also used by the servers to indicate that a customer should not be served (because, for example, he was a deadbeat).

Most of the codes became obsolete with the customary use of written checks, but 86 broadened in applicability, to include ejecting a customer and as a generic term for killing or annihilating something.

Other diner codes: "burn the British" for English muffins; "Mike and Ike" for salt and pepper; and "Put out the lights and cry" for liver and onions.

M
old hand
old hand
M

Is there a word for 'rendered useless'?
I'm looking for something a la 'ineffectualise' or 'futilised'

Say hey, Bellige, To me and Spiro Agnew there is only one word to convey rendered useless...

effete:... 2) Exausted of vitality, force, or effectiveness: depleted of vigor: worn-out, spent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am much undone that this matter wasn't brought to my immediate attention, with my being the master of worthless words. but, much having already been said, I hope that these additions won't be floccipaucinihilipilified or found to be supererogated.

in the sense of being worn out or used up: dibilitated, dissipated, consumed
in the sense of being moved out of the way: displaced, malpositioned
in the sense of being made ineffective: invalidated, muzzled, negated, neutralized, stultified
in the sense of being made redundant: redunded

R
addict
addict
R
I can think of only one word:

banjaxed

#58846 02/27/02 07:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about depreciating (and depreciated)?

#58848 02/28/02 03:32 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
"Adam and Eve on a raft" = 2 poached eggs on toast

Then there is the famous SOS (sh*t on a shingle) = creamed dried or chipped beef on toast, which did not originate in lunchrooms, but in Army mess halls. This is so ubiquitous that I don't know of anyone who uses the real name except when ordering it in a restaurant.

#58849 02/28/02 03:49 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Has anyone ever really ordered that in a restaurant?
I couldn't imagine paying to eat it.
(Yes, I was in the army--a long time, but there are some things you don't ever forget.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Gelded," said Tom limply.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
incapacitated...though something can be incapacitated without being rendered useless. Usually totally incapacitated is used to indicate total uselessness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith