A
My votes go to:

anacampserote
pantomath
octothorpe
pleonasm

and
dipsetic

if i'd've caught up to this thread earlier, i'd've nominated "aetataureate" (http://wordsmith.org/board/Cat=&Board=words&Number=26502), which was the word coined by author Michael Chabon (along with 'cheminations', which also sparked a bit of a discussion) in _The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay_.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
hey jazzo, do you think the 'gobsmacked' thread is going to qualify? :)

It's a thread, ain't it?

BTW, I'm happy that we've had a few more voters, but seeing as this Guest AWAD is basically going to speak for the whole board (yikes!), it would probably--no, definitely--be a good idea for us to have a larger percentage give their opinions on what threads are the best representation of what we are. Some of our most frequent and beloved members haven't even voted! You know who you are: (Jackie, Faldage, Anna, CK, bel, Helen, wow, dr. bill, stales, Kieva, Bean, Bingley, Angel, musick, Rubrick, etc. etc. etc.)

#57940 02/26/02 02:04 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
How can you ask a parent which among the children is the favorite? This one's the cutest, this one's the smartest, this one's the most sensitive, this one's the most successful, this one's the most dignified, this one's the most mature, this one's... you get the point. Even if selecting a favorite is possible (certainly it's not diplomatic) it's liable to change from day to day and mood to mood.

Therefore many abstain from voting.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good grief, JazzO, thank you for all that work!!

1. Triboluminescence
2. Enantiodromic --both of these just sound
intriguing, as well as having
wonderful and unusual definitions.
3. Piepowder ,for the same reason.
4. Pleonasm personal, pleasurable memories! :-)
5. Pantomath Hi, sweet Nicholas! A handy word to
know.

#57942 02/26/02 02:13 AM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Wofa, it's just a guest awad. It's not like you're sentencing the rest of the words to death or anything.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh man, oh man--it just struck me how so many of these words are multi-syllabic. I just saw a lovely, simple word in a post by CK that I bet people would be interested in: sistren. And tsuwm, what was that word that had something to do with either the left or the right side of a plowed furrow (or something like that)? Would that qualify?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good God, is sistren a real word? Have to look it up.

Jazzo, good list, with or without the later offerings from our wordy brethren and sistren. I really don't care which words get put up for the guest AWAD slot, it's all good grist to the mill.

Good job!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good God , you mean it might NOT be a real word?? CK! How could you! Leading me down the garden path like that, where you KNOW I will follow with bells on!

B
old hand
old hand
B
OK, Jazzo, here are my votes:

octothorp, pleonasm, mysterium, hermetic, pantomath

M
old hand
old hand
M
My Five Suggestions are...

triboluminescence: Sometimes I say "triboluminescence" just to be saying it. "What did you say?", they ask. "Triboluminescence.", I answer.
cornobbled: When you are, you know what it means.
empath: Oooh. I just love words full of almost meaning.
monosemy: Yes! A word meaning the absence of ambiguity that is itself a bit ambiguious. Yes.
mysteriuim: Mmm...there's somthing about this word, uh, like, uh, like it's, you know, a mystery.
pantomath: What if someone called you a pantomath and you didn't know what it was?

Yeah, yeah, I know, they let me pick six. It's only fair, I love words more than you people.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 988 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith