Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

why a switch was made from South at the top to North at the top

Max, where did you actually get the information that South used to be at the top? In medieval times Jerusalem, i.e., East, used to be at the top, but I've never heard of South being at the top before.

Bingley

Bingley
#5713 08/28/00 05:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley is getting closer to the correct answer, but I think you will find that the first "globes" were not globes of the earth, but globes of the heavens. I think they were called celestial spheres. Certainly a prime feature of them would have been either the pole star or the southern cross, and since most of the "known world" was north of the equator, it would have made good sense to have the depiction reflect the reality the creators could see.

It was different, apparently, in Kentucky. My great-grandfather wrote down the story of the horse breeder there who could not get his race horses to run because these pesky robins built their nests in the manes of the horses. The constant singing of the birds distracted the horses. He (gran'ther) proved that a yeast solution would drive the birds away. Proving, of course, that yeast is yeast, and nest is nest, and never the manes shall tweet.

TEd
#5714 08/28/00 07:01 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

P
addict
addict
P
<and never the manes shall tweet>

You been at the moonshine again, Ted?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>You been at the moonshine again, Ted?

Still.

TEd
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
obviously there is no logical reason why north is up. and in many ways, considering the shiraz to be enjoyed post or not post golf in the southern hemispere, south is currently up.
i think the question has to do with who drew the maps, doesn't it? i notice maps from the u.s. show that country in the centre. this is the "customer" issue again. once people get used to the shapes of countries - australia is such a distinctive shape north up! - it's hard to change it.
the political question is really "should we change maps to reflect our "global village" ideas?" (whatever that means), or at least get greenland into size.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>It was different, apparently, in Kentucky

Ted, which Kentucky was your gran'ther in? Must have been the one in Max's South-at-the-top, or the one found at the
bottom of lusy's shiraz (whatever that is), 'cuz it sure
weren't the one where I live!

I live in the one that Dan'l Boone discovered: the mane one that got tweaked off the western end of Virginia.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
jackie, shiraz is the name of a wine making grape. it's called syrah in france, but some argue in australia it has become different enough to warrant a different name.
it makes beautiful wine in the rhone, famously "chateau neuf du pape", and also in australia, famously "grange".
the grape used to be called "hermitage" in australia (after the northern rhone area), but because the french copyrighted the names of their regions, she name changed to that of a city in iran (which apparently isn't copyrighted)!

B
addict
addict
B
I just stumbled on this thread for the first time and this is what I thought before I read it all:

-imagine standing with a compass in front of you, with an arrow on one end. If you rotate yourself around, at some point the compass will face straight to you / away from you. You are now facing either north or south - for simplicity's sake let's say north. (Sorry Max!!!)
-if you now map what's in front of you, stuff in the far north ends up at the top of the page. By extension, stuff behind you must belong at the bottom of the page.

This makes visual sense to me. It also suggests that maps might have started off with either north or south at the top of the page, then inevitably one had to win out as the standard. (Dangerous aside in a forum like this one, but it's a bit like which side of the road to drive - the only places I know of where you drive on the left are islands...)

I find myself much more flummoxed by the idea of a map with east at the top than that of a map with south at the top. Now, has anyone come across maps with west at the top? We need to be sure no-one is disavantaged!!!

#5721 09/01/00 10:04 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith