M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, I'll lay myself out for correction/argument/ridicule--
haven't anything better to do just now, anyway.

Max, I am going to respond as though your question is asking why our world is considered right-side-up in maps that have North America, Europe, etc., above Tasmania, NZ,
etc. (In part because I haven't a clue as to where the
labels North and South came from.)

This would seem to be a problem to which the simplest solution may be right: it makes sense to me that it is this
way because not only did the northern hemisphere produce
cultures advanced enough to explore the globe and make maps
first, it produced vaster quantities of explorers/mapmakers.

I envision centuries-ago scenes where they looked at each other and agreed that of course the lands they were familiar with were "above", in all senses, the lands filled
with either uncivilized people, or no people, or at least which did not have representatives in sufficient quantities to make their view prevail. (You-all, don't take me literally on that one.)

I also imagine that early mapmakers in say, Australia, whom I don't actually believe were hanging off the bottom of the earth (!), probably drew maps of their continent with the part we call the South Pole at the top. They just walked/rode "up" and "down" and back and forth across their continent, and became aware of the curvature of the earth
just as the explorers of the opposite hemisphere did. And, to them, the coldest part would be toward the narrower "top".

#5704 08/27/00 06:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

J
old hand
old hand
J
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this, but maybe they just picked one direction and universalized it. Maybe it wasn't a choice of superiority, but just a capricious decision made by a famous map maker, and it caught on, just like how misused words catch on.

And in response to: New puzzle - why would the wonderfully whimsical spell-checker suggest "O'Brien" as a replacement for "NZ"?

I would say that it's because this spell checker goes to the next alphabetical word, and seeing as there are no possible words beginning with N that can come after NZ, it moves on to the first existing word that begins with O, this being O'Brien because numbers, apostrophes and other non-alphabetical characters come first.

#5706 08/27/00 08:13 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
okay, here are some thoughts on your north v. south puzzle:
the earth is a giant magnet and as such has the usual magnetic properties, such as magnetic poles. (the North magnetic pole is *very displaced from the geographic pole.) perhaps these magnetic poles place N/S by convention. another question to ask is in regards to the discovery of earth magnetism in relation to the cartography conventions.
I don't have any answers to these questions, it just seems that this might be something to consider....

#5708 08/28/00 03:15 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Since compasses always point North, I suppose it makes sense to have that direction at the top of one's compass, at 12 o'clock, rather than at 6 o'clock.

Yes, one end of the compass needle indeed points north, but the other end points just as surely south. So why should we of the (anglicised) Antipuses be forced to have the tops of our compasses indicating a spot some 6 or 7,000 miles away beneath our feet?

sakezuki lusy
(somewhat in the grip of post-golf Shiraz)

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I wonder if the answer might not have something to do with globes. When the first globes were made most, if not all, of the customers would have been in Europe. It's easier to see something when it's at the top of a globe than when it's at the bottom, especially if the globe is on a stand on the floor. At the time not much was known about the Southern hemisphere so if you put South at the top, you would have lots of embarrassing gaps at the top and all the stuff your customers are interested in down at the bottom where it's difficult to see.

Bingley

Bingley
#5711 08/28/00 11:18 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith