Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#56787 02/14/02 01:40 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Well, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the photos. The original motivation was so that people in very warm places (such as Perth, Australia! hi stales!) would get an idea of what life is like in the winter here.

Regarding the roof pitch: I agree that our shallow roofs are totally weird. But from what I understand, the snow in St. John's usually melts periodically throughout the winter, so there isn't that much accumulation. These pictures are from last winter (although the snow this year looks pretty much exactly the same), when, much to everyone's surprise, the snow didn't melt at all. Until mid-May. (We actually had flurries in June, but we don't often admit that to mainlanders. You guys are a privileged bunch!) We had problems with the ice build-up on the roof causing leakage by the eaves. Dag and our landlord traipsed around on the roof one day pushing the snow and ice off. And regarding insulation - I think everyone's roof is poorly insulated - we all have crazy icicles hanging off our houses. What a mess!

The traditional Newfoundland house design is known as a "saltbox" house. Here is a link to some photos:
http://www.avalon.nf.ca/~janetmcn/saltboxhouse.html. You can see their roofs have a bit more slope. Another typical design - I don't know what it's called - has just one part to the roof, sloping in only one direction (rather than a peak). And it's usually quite a shallow slope. Looks kind of like half a house.

#56788 02/14/02 02:19 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
The more it snows (Tiddly Pom), the more it goes (Tiddly Pom)...

The more it goes (Tiddly Pom) on snowing.
(That's just from memory, the whole thing is at http://www.winniethepooh.co.uk/storiesandpoems.html.)

Thanks mav!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith